Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 49801 times)

Description:

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
Re: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?
« Reply #239 from previous page: July 31, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »
Quote from: dammy;743252
This is the problem with wanting to use AOS4.x series, you are going to have to pay serious amount of money for a system.  If you have to have AOS4.x, pay the money and be happy but please stop complaining.  There are very cheap (to free) alternatives that are readily available that are at a minimum, equal to AOS4.x experience.

Yeah I don't think complaining will make any amiga 4.x capable machines any cheaper. The only affordable future is porting the OS to arm or x86, which I think will be pretty dead before that happens.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;743253
Well at least you can play all the classic amiga games on that.
Well at least it's an actual Amiga :p

Offline MicroStrand

• Show only replies by MicroStrand
« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
Quote from: dammy;743252
This is the problem with wanting to use AOS4.x series, you are going to have to pay serious amount of money for a system.
I think the real problem is not the money, it actually is the contradictory philosophy behind it. On the one hand we see the decision for a much better hardware architecture, but on the other hand, the unwillingness to consistently look forward. In the long run was just that in many ways a tactical mistake. So I think the X1000 would be particularly for potential programmers a much more interesting business field, if one were to focus solely on the actual hardware, rather than remain permanently backward compatible.
Imagine a microcontroller that doesn’t tell you what to do, but asks “What do you want from me?” - XMOS

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
Quote from: MicroStrand;744004
I think the real problem is not the money, it actually is the contradictory philosophy behind it. On the one hand we see the decision for a much better hardware architecture, but on the other hand, the unwillingness to consistently look forward. In the long run was just that in many ways a tactical mistake. So I think the X1000 would be particularly for potential programmers a much more interesting business field, if one were to focus solely on the actual hardware, rather than remain permanently backward compatible.

It's always about money.  With the money, you can do anything including breaking from the past as Apple did when it jumped to PPC and then to X86.  Without it, you stuck in quicksand, sinking as the rest of the world moves forward.

Yes, Hyperion landscape is littered with tactical mistakes that have come back to bite them.  Perhaps they will be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat at AmiWest as the clock ticks toward them becoming irrelevant.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline MicroStrand

• Show only replies by MicroStrand
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
Quote from: dammy;744011
With the money, you can do anything including breaking from the past as Apple did when it jumped to PPC and then to x86.  Without it, you stuck in quicksand, sinking as the rest of the world moves forward.
May be, but we are not talking about industrial investments here. Our topic is the amount of money one has to pay for the product, and it doesn't so much matter in this context. Much more important than that is breaking the old barriers for advanced software development, and that's what was missed from Hyperion until today unfortunately!
Imagine a microcontroller that doesn’t tell you what to do, but asks “What do you want from me?” - XMOS

Offline nicholas

« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
Quote from: dammy;744011
It's always about money.  With the money, you can do anything including breaking from the past as Apple did when it jumped to PPC and then to X86.  Without it, you stuck in quicksand, sinking as the rest of the world moves forward.

Yes, Hyperion landscape is littered with tactical mistakes that have come back to bite them.  Perhaps they will be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat at AmiWest as the clock ticks toward them becoming irrelevant.

I can hardly wait to see what surprises they have in store for us at Amiwest this year.  ssolie just teases us too much!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
Re: Ease off bashing Amiga x1000?
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2013, 08:19:28 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742283

VS a couple of angry German's.

Not much of a challenge.

Angry Germans? Where do you think Ralph Schmidt, Frank Mariak, Stefan Stuntz, Phase5, bPlan, and therefore MorhphOS originated from? Anyway, who cares about such things nowadays.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Quote from: rayt;744034
Angry Germans? Where do you think Ralph Schmidt, Frank Mariak, Stefan Stuntz, Phase5, bPlan, and therefore MorhphOS originated from? Anyway, who cares about such things nowadays.

I'd call them the cream of the crop of 1990's Amiga software and hardware development talent.

Please remind me who Ben's team are again?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
Quote from: rayt;744034
Angry Germans? Where do you think Ralph Schmidt, Frank Mariak, Stefan Stuntz, Phase5, bPlan, and therefore MorhphOS originated from?

I'd call them the cream of the crop of 1990's Amiga software and hardware development talent.

Please remind me who Ben's team are again?

Anyway, who cares about such things nowadays.

Obviously you do.