Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apower desktop PSU for A500/600/1200/cd32 are Back!  (Read 16998 times)

Description:

Offline mechyTopic starter

Apower desktop PSU for A500/600/1200/cd32 are Back!
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:42:38 AM »
Hi all,
  I have been toiling away and searching the world for connectors and have managed to finish building and testing 51 new heavy duty power supplies for the A500/600/1200 and cd32! I have them listed with different color labels(they are all the same psu,just a choice of label colors). I have managed to setup a shopping cart to automate this.

PLEASE make sure your PAYPAL account is verified/confirmed before ordering,failure to do so will delay your order and cause me major headaches! - thanks!

http://www.amiga.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1250&stc=1&d=1302220256

Here are the specs:
------------------
Much smaller than the original.

Works on any voltage from any country 100vac to 240vac. 50 or 60hz

Much more powerful than the original power supply (7AMPS on +5v,1.5Amps on +12v,and .3Amps on -12v).

Uses a standard IEC power cord from any printer or computer(ships with USA cord only).

Completely quiet and no fans.

Lighted power switch - know when its on or off,unlike the original!

Overload Protected - Auto reset when overload is cleared up

Short Protected - Goes into a pulse mode until the short is fixed.Auto reset when short is fixed.

These are intended for desktop machines only, NOT towered machines with zorro/pci expansions!

http://www.amiga.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1251&stc=1&d=1302220329

The second surprise is i have secured a boatload of brand new 3.5" scsi 5-slot card readers!.so what you say? Well these are great for adding compact flash,sdhc,smartmedia,or to your amiga with scsi to use as a hard drive,or even using all 5 slots filled with different cards(a different os on each? mac/pctask partitions?hmm). i have tested them in the A590,gvp A530,HCII+8,on old trumpcards,warpengine,gvp A2000 cards/accelerators,ivs vector,fastlane z3,A4000t scsi,A3000t scsi.these also work on some atari and apple and sampler scsi! they have the latest firmwares and you can hook them right to your 50 pin scsi without any adapters.The bolt anywhere a floppy drive will in most cases.can be put internal in place of the hard drive.all 5 slots fall under 1 SCSI ID with luns..i also have some scsi cables and assorted stuff there,when its gone its gone.

I have set up a online shopping cart with SSL to avoid EBAY this time and the crazy fee's. this also automates the shipping etc and saves me alot of headaches.The price for the power supplies is $42+ shipping(sorry,after the first batch,i tallied the stuff up and made almost nothing after fee's!). Actual shipping is calculated on the shopping cart.Shipping to most of europe/uk etc is around $14 via USPS flatrate small BOX. USA shipping is also calculated.Payment is by PAYPAL only and the cart passes you off to the secure paypal site.
Please understand,i can't control customs and such,but i can guarantee you i shipped the stuff the next morning after you order it!

Oh,you can find these power supplies at http://www.a4000t.com or https://a4000t.com/store  they both go to the same place ;)

if anyone has any questions,please feel free to ask.
Mech

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: Apower desktop PSU for A500/600/1200/cd32 are Back!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:08 AM »
Ooooh!  Nice!

I definately want one of those SCSI card slot devices, especially as it fits into the floppy drive bay.

My brother was thinking of shipping his A1200 over from the UK so he might like one of those PSUs.

I'll be home in a week and a half so expect an order soon.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:23:46 AM »
Mechy is a class guy, buy stuff from him or get the wrath of red.

I am a mechy fanboy.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:08 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629868

I am a mechy fanboy.

Ah, the Jim "seal of approval".  Excellent.  :)

Shipping from Texas to Louisiana shouldn't be too bad either.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 04:03:09 AM »
thanks red,your check is in the mail as usual.. hehehe

mech

Quote from: redrumloa;629868

I am a mechy fanboy.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:39:13 AM »
Hi.

I have just ordered a PSU. I am already quite happy with the one from the first batch i got :)

I have a question about those SCSI drives: do they allow inserting/removing a card while the computer is running just like a USB adapter or not?
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »
Quote from: Xanxi;629979
Hi.

I have just ordered a PSU. I am already quite happy with the one from the first batch i got :)

I have a question about those SCSI drives: do they allow inserting/removing a card while the computer is running just like a USB adapter or not?

No,these will act like a normal cf adapter used in amiga ,they are not hot swapable.you can mount all 5 slots at the same time and they will act like seperate devices,i.e. can copy between them etc.

mech

Offline nikos.rizos

• Show only replies by nikos.rizos
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:03:43 AM »
I've ordered one with a silver label. :cool:

If it's OK with you you can keep the USA cord. It's useless to me :)

Thanks mechy!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:11:30 AM by nikos.rizos »
A500 Frühe Version,
A500
GVP HD+ AT286, 1084S, A500+
A1200 Blizzard 1230 MK IV, Indivision AGA MKII, IDEFix Express, Subway USB, Melody 1200 Pro

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »
So will these power a 600 with 030, Subway, and other such things, or a 1200 with 80Mhz 060?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
Yes,no problem there, several 1200 users reported back using a 1200 with bppc,bvision,subway,pcmcia cards,and harddrives run perfectly with the power supply.
they handle any desktop addons.

Quote from: XDelusion;630015
So will these power a 600 with 030, Subway, and other such things, or a 1200 with 80Mhz 060?

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
OK, everyone who has ordered thus far their stuff has been shipped!

thanks!

mech

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
Hey all,
   thought i would post the english version of a post i just left on A1k.org (the german message board). some people had raised valid concerns on my psu's and i thought you guys might like to know how this project came about and what i go through to build these.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

About 1+ year ago i found some of my old commodore power supplies were failing and began to look for a alternative. My machines are all desktop cased and i did not care for the large atx conversions. I was in search of a small power supply with more power than the stock one. I priced the psu i offered originally in small quantity,but the price was so high ($100+ ea) that it was not cost effective,so i eventually found a vendor that had a large lot (100 psu) of new surplus power supplies for an affordable amount.
I bought the entire lot of 100.this was around august 2010.
After this i was on the hunt for the elusive 5 pin square dins and found about 25. I built some prototypes and tested them for about 4 months under many conditions and loads(I have 33 amiga's here) of which 8 are my test machines with many different accelerators and addon boards,hard drives and compact flash solutions). After several months of 24/7 operation they proved to be very stable and handle the loads fine. Much of my testing was done in my workshop here in texas that reaches temperatures of 105F inside at times in the summer( i did feel bad for my poor 500,600,1200's out there in these conditions though!). A perfect place to test a fanless psu. After this i sent 5 psu's across the world to friends in the UK,denmark,netherlands,canada and germany and 1 inside the usa with the instructions to load them/torture them as much as possible. Two friends used these on A1200's equipped with internal PPC cards and bvision along with subway and indivision and the others had 030 and 060 setups with various expansions.In that time no reports came back of any problems (they are still running today,approx 1+ year later)and the power supplies appeared to be very robust.During this time many people heard about them and began to email me asking for power supplies,but as for the issues stated in jens post and others,i too was concerned about liability and UL/CE ratings because the modifications i made voided the rating(any modification to a UL/CE device means it is no longer this rating,and should be resubmitted with mods for approval - sadly i am a hobbyist and the cost of this would be extremely expensive and no one could of afforded the power supplies).I was not concerned about the work i had done to the power supplies because i have went through great lengths to make them as safe as i could. Using 300V+ wire rated 90c,use of heatshrink anywhere there was a bend or corner or chance for something to rub,and securing wires with hot glue to avoid hot heatsinks and keep wires contained on the underside of the board where the solder joints are.Use of 8 amp quality lighted switches (even tho this power supply will not pull even 1 amp at full load on the a/c side)All switch side connections have heat shrink.Extra glue to ensure the switch can never come loose,etc.
After almost 6+ months of thinking about it and no reports of any troubles from the test units i sent out(as well as the ones i was running at home 24/7),it seemed to me it was possible to release a hobby project of this sort.One reason was because i was building them myself,i had 100% oversight on quality control.Another reason was that much of the electronics/power supplies etc i looked at coming from china flooding our market were of poor quality with bad soldering and pinched/crushed wiring and these somehow were UL/CE listed.Is it even possibly to find or hold a company like this liabel? Sadly,i suspect not in most cases.There had been many cases of chinese wall transformers catching fire.  I began to think what i was offering was of much better quality,regardless if it had a UL/CE sticker on it or not.Sadly we live in a world of lawyers and  i admit this does open me up for trouble but i feel my power supplies are as safe as i can make them and argueably better than some of the original commodore supplies. Mine are fused,have overload and short protection and thermal protection.I then released the first batch of 20 power supplies (announced on amiga.org originally i think in december 2010 and sold on ebay). I stated they were not UL/CE in the original post. They sold out in less than 24 hrs and iwas bombarded with over 150+ more emails from people asking for more!..i have had no problem reports from anyone of the 20 people to this day.Many did write and tell me how much they liked them,and it turns out some people using A1200 in their Dj work really loved the portability of them compared to the original big commodore PSU. Some people have and actually bring their 1200's and 600's with them on trips between the usa and uk liked the multivoltage capability. With the good feedback from people,i decided to go ahead with the project and search for more din connectors but sadly none were available. My only choice was to have a production run of 5 pin square dins made to complete my project which was costly but allowed me to complete the remaining 60~ power supplies. Sadly it takes me almost 2 hours to complete each power supply and profit is almost non exhistant and its a large amount of work for one person.I guess i do this out of love for my amiga,it's certainly not about the money,because i am lucky to make $2/hour-hehe. My intention was not to decieve anyone. I did not intend to "DUMP" anything on anyone.I simply weighed the risks and made a decision to bring these to other amiga people(if they so choose to buy one).I feel good about the decision,and i personally test EVERY single power supply on my own equipment for a 24 hour burn in. I do this because the thought of damaging someones amiga is horrifying to me and i would rather risk my own(in response to someone asking if would replace a damaged 060 board etc). this testing ensures i will not damage anyone machine. I do this because when i send one out the door "I" know it works 100%. I have invested a incredible amont of time and money to do this.I stand behind the power supplies i sell and i am only a message away if someone needs help on a.org,eab,lemon amiga etc. If these do indeed violate german law somehow,then please  disregard this and don't buy a power supply. There must be room in the world for small hobby projects such as mine in todays time,no?

mike

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing that with us Mike.  I told my brother about your PSU and he's looked it up on the web.  He's just trying to decide whether or not to order.

Offline d0pefish

• Show only replies by d0pefish
    • http://lavaburn.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:30 PM »
@mechy:

I have had one of your PSUs since January over here in the UK :)

My A600 with ACA630, A603, 2 external floppy drives, PCMCIA LAN card, sound sampler, and various other accessories has had heavy and frequent usage since then, and the power supply has been perfectly rock-solid :D

Simply cannot recommend it enough, it's a great power supply. I've had people ask me where I got it from - really nice to see you've made another batch, I'll point them your way. :)

Cheers! :)

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:46:18 PM »
thanks for the reply! its good to see it in use. i don't get much feedback on stuff like this, usually only if theres a problem.So far none have surfaced.Thanks for the cudos!

Mike

Quote from: d0pefish;630529
@mechy:

I have had one of your PSUs since January over here in the UK :)

My A600 with ACA630, A603, 2 external floppy drives, PCMCIA LAN card, sound sampler, and various other accessories has had heavy and frequent usage since then, and the power supply has been perfectly rock-solid :D

Simply cannot recommend it enough, it's a great power supply. I've had people ask me where I got it from - really nice to see you've made another batch, I'll point them your way. :)

Cheers! :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:57:39 PM by mechy »