Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay  (Read 10365 times)

Description:

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
Re: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »

weirdami wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of that video message he made that they showed at that Amiga convention in 1998 or 1999? The one that happened in that olde styled motel that got demolished soon after. Gateway is a word my brain is associating with that building.

Gateway was the Amiga owner at that time, but as far as the building, my brain will always associate room bathtubs full of beer and roaming the halls singing, "Henry the Eighth I am I am I am ....  :pint:  :evilgrin:

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »

da9000 wrote:

ral-clan wrote:
Dick van Dyke was a huge proponent of the Amiga.  I read somewhere that he even created an effect in Lightwave of a motorcycle explosion for a TV show he was acting in (when the in house effects company couldn't do it due to budgetary contraints).

Hardcore! Well, his Amiga-dealings-with have been added to his Wikipedia page :-)

If this is what you added to Wikipedia (quote from Wiki site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_van_dyke):

[color=0000ff]One of Van Dyke's modern passions is producing 3D computer graphics. He created many of the 3D rendered effects shown in Diagnosis: Murder, and continues to work with LightWave 3D.[/color]

...then I have to disagree with the second sentence.  He created ONE small effect for one episode as far as we know.  I've edited it.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Raffaele

• Show only replies by Raffaele
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »

Oli_hd wrote:
A little interesting thing has just come up on ebay.

Dick Van Dyke's A4000T[/url]
He will even autograph it if you want.

What a pity another great Amigan left this scene...

From this thread I saw it seems that Dick Van Dyke have no more fun from his Amiga...

We will miss his presence in our community.

I hope that new machines incoming could double the fun and let him take a look at our scene again, or perhaps if he will continue using Amiga thru WinUAE...  :roll:
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
If this auction is real, I'm of the opinion the box should have gone to a computer history museum, a television history museum, or the Smithsonian (sorry, Dick).

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
makes me wonder why he didn't add some dosh to community projects? surely he would have had some return...
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »
@hardlink

Gateway was the Amiga owner at that time

I meant that the hotel or location was related to the word Gateway. I'm pretty sure it's the same place where the Gateway scifi convention used to be held. The Henry bit probably is accurate, perhaps I should have said that instead (had I thought of it). The building was sorta Henry IIX ish era looking.

Extra info, Bill (or whoever) gave out a TacoBell mascot dog stuffed animal to one person at each table at the banquet.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Maybe we can convince him to provide all bidders with an autograph  :-D

I've found the info on how to write and get one. You may be waiting a couple of months, but apparently he's willing to send one. PM if anyone wants the link.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 07:22:52 PM »
makes me wonder why he didn't add some dosh to community projects? surely he would have had some return...

I've always had the "conspiracy theory" that he may have been a silent supporter of DiscreetFX. Don't start spreading that as even a rumor please. It's just an figment of my active imagination.

Plaz

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 01:38:44 AM »

ral-clan wrote:
If this is what you added

No, I didn't add that. Only Amiga-specific stuff, not animation-specific.

Offline Invisix

• Show only replies by Invisix
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »
Eh, for some reason I don't think this was ever owned by Dick Van Dyke, usually famous peoples belongings end up in museums. I think the seller is trying to dupe ppl, and make oddles of cash on it by saying it belonged to a famous actor. I mean look at the running auction price already.

Just because a person can claim something belonged to a famous person, doesn't make it true!
Amiga 1200T: D-Box 1200 Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260
  • 50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 3gig HDD, 52x CD-ROM Drive, ToastScan Scan Doubler, Mediator PCI 1200 SX, FastATA 1200 MK-III, PCMCIA Adapter, PCMCIA Network Card MKIII, Amiga OS 3.5[/b]

Offline weirdami

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »
@Wayne

As AO bossman, do you know anyone who knows anyone who can get in contact with Master DVD to check the authenticity of this auction?
----

Offline AmiJake

• Show only replies by AmiJake
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »

This could be a fake!

Someone like DVD really has no reason to sell his beloved Amiga epecially since he had a blast  :lol:  wit it. I mean money is not an issue for him, he can probably sell his shirt and get more money for it!!, hell the real DVD might build a room, encase his amiga in glass forever!

I guess there is no "case" for the tower because it already has a signed autographs from DVD (got DVD to autograph it somehow) on the case so if someone requested it Vola! the case shows up with DVD's autograph.

Just my conspiracy theory

Offline AmigaBlitter

• Show only replies by AmigaBlitter
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
I saw that Petro is selling his amiga too. Can't remember the link.
It\\\'s time for the Amiga to come back

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
Ok, I'm about to list Mary Tyler Moore's nose ring, any takers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
All you conspiracy theorist are hilarious!

Ever think that Dick might just be getting a bit too old to enjoy using this Amiga anymore and as the eBay ad states, Dick just wants someone else to enjoy his Amiga as much as he has instead of it sitting unused in a closet, like so many other Amigas that others stop using.

As for the statement that it should be in a museum, :lol: maybe you think his telephone, or his toilet paper holder should be encased in glass too.  If he had created something fantastic with his Amiga, like the special effect for the movie "Titanic" and released it to the general public, then maybe I could see the justification of preserving it in a movie museum, but he didn't.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline weirdami

« Reply #44 from previous page: January 17, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
I asked three questions to the seller but he didn't post them on the auction.

--

1. What proof is there that this is DVD's computer?

"What proof would you consider sufficient?"

2. What happened to the case?

"The case covers have been left off for the purpose of cooling.  Over the years, they've been misplaced."

3. Is DVD selling this himself? Money going to charity?

"No, Mr. Van Dyke is not selling this unit, himself so the proceeds are not going to charity.  Mr. Van Dyke does a great deal of work for charities, as it is.  He considers his charitble work personal, so he rarely talks about it."

--

So...

I think that at least the information in the first two questions should have been put on the auction in the first place. Since there's no proof, and the auction's details aren't so great, and the sellers apparent inability to add at least the question I asked about the case to his auction, then if you want it you shouldn't bid because of a possible DVD connection. Just bid because the hardware is worth that much on its own. :-/
----