Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay sucks!  (Read 7265 times)

Description:

Offline Damion

Re: You have to wonder...
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:30:08 PM »

BGary335 wrote:
I agree completely LoadWB. Folks who suggest things like doctorq suggested are probably the folks who make these hefty bids. In my opinion, the true Amiga fan/enthusiast/etc. knows what these systems are worth and will refuse to pay any more than that. The folks who aren't true enthusiasts will pay $300 or more for an A1200 and proclaim themselves enthusiasts because of the wads of money they spent. spending wads of money on an Amiga doesn't make you an enthusiast, or a fan. It makes you stupid.

The fact is, $300 just isn't a lot of money for some people. In that case, it may not be a big deal to drop that on a 15+ year old piece of hardware, especially if it's new or in mint condition.

Sure, you may be one of the 1 in 1000 that find a fully loaded, brand-new A4K with a CS-PPC for $10 at a thrift store... or have hours every day (no job maybe) to bargain-hunt... but in the real world, most people don't, and $300 for something they really want is justified. Heck, most people dump twice that easily on a nice LCD.

"Enthusiast" or not, it's "worth" whatever it's "worth" to the person shelling out the dough. Actually, "enthusiast" generally means someone who's interested in the cream of whatever hobby they're into, whether vintage/rare cars, boats, coins, etc... and these things generally do cost a bit of money... hate to break it to ya bud, but that's just how it works, LMAO. If you want a good deal, you have to be patient, and with a little luck (right place at the right time) you'll get what you're after. Just don't expect someone to give it to you right away, and then whine when it doesn't happen. (Or whine if it's too expensive for you -- in that case, show a little class and move on to the next option... as they say, plenty of fish in the sea.) Sometimes you get lucky, other times you pay.

I can totally understand the logic behind donating old hardware to a good home, absolutely nothing wrong with that, I often do the same. (Some people may *really* need the money, in which case ebay is a totally legitimate and justified option.) It's just not the easiest way of finding what you're after, which is why some are OK with shelling out a few bills on an A1200. I don't really see the big deal.

Offline Damion

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:46:53 PM »
Alright man, sorry if I misunderstood you. I do agree that some people pay ridiculous prices for certain things. Some of that may be shill bids, but yeah, it's funny to see a system sell for $150 when the EXACT same thing went for $40 the previous month. At the same time, some items (like A1200s) will almost ALWAYS sell for over $200... just the nature of the ebay amiga market.

Offline Damion

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »

BGary335 wrote:
I just saw a set of Amiga A10 speakers sell for $173.50 on Ebay. Are you kidding me? For a set of speakers? You can almost buy an entire Amiga computer for that! I find it very hard to believe that those speakers are worth that kind of money. How on earth would you justify spending that on a pair of speakers?  :-o

Yes, it is absolutely ridiculous for a set of speakers. You could easily buy a pretty nice set of bookshelf speakers that would annihilate those little pieces of crap.

BUT... they are somewhat rare, in fact I haven't noticed a set on ebay before. So you have 10 guys who all collect vintage commodore/amiga hardware, don't have these speakers, but have money, competing for a mint boxed set. It's like guys who collect comics, cards, coins, vehicles, etc... they'll never even use them, just put it away to "have" or pull out and admire from time to time. I know a guy who does the same thing with cars... he has a special, secured garage to store all the Mercedes he drives 100 miles a year.

Actually, I was expecting those speakers to sell for more.

For myself, though I try not to hoard or spend ridiculous amounts for this stuff, a few months ago I spent $25 for a new/sealed Bard's Tale for the Amiga... seemed like a good idea at the time, but definitely not easy to justify out loud, LOL. It's something I have fun with, I just try not to get too carried away. (The sad thing is I actually have little time these days to enjoy my hobbies.)

It's all a matter of perspective... most people would consider spending ANYTHING on amiga related things is a complete waste, even $10.

Offline Damion

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
Sniping is entering your bid like 10 seconds before the auction closes... in fact, TJ himself sniped something out from under me several years ago (I think it was a NIB 1571 for like $20)... and ever since then, I also place "snipe bids" on certain things... LMAO

Matter of fact TJ, thanks to you I STILL don't own a nice '71... :lol: j/k

Anyhow, it can be a good tool to get something you want for less money. Other times, 10 other people have the same idea as you and it doesn't work as well. :^)

Offline Damion

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:58:58 AM »
As I see it, ebay is what you make of it...integrity is the key. You don't have to buy from shysters (just read carefully, view feedback, use common sense, etc), or be one when you sell.

As far as Amiga wares goes, I really enjoy hooking up with some of the members here on amiga.org, and I've had the opportunity to meet some cool dudes and pick up some fun things. (Scored a really nice accelerated A600 a while back.) At the same time, where else could I find a shrink-wrapped, perfect copy of Commando C64 for $20 but Ebay? :P I've only been burned ONCE on Ebay, IIRC it was my first or second transaction many years ago, and 100% due to my lack of judgement.

So for me, it's both/and rather than an either/or dichotomy. Ebay + patience + common sense = :-)

Offline Damion

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 04:00:15 AM »

-D- wrote:
As I see it, ebay is what you make of it...integrity is the key. You don't have to buy from shysters (just read carefully, view feedback, use common sense, etc), or be one when you sell.

As far as Amiga wares goes, I really enjoy hooking up with some of the members here on amiga.org, and I've had the opportunity to meet some cool dudes and pick up some fun things. (Scored a really nice accelerated A600 a while back.) At the same time, where else could I find a shrink-wrapped, perfect copy of Commando C64 for $20 but Ebay? :P I've only been burned ONCE on Ebay, IIRC it was my first or second transaction many years ago, and 100% due to my lack of judgement.

So for me, it's both/and rather than an either/or dichotomy. Ebay + patience + common sense = :-)

Ha ha, looks like I spoke to soon and cursed myself.

Just received a vintage game I ordered (though from a seller on amazon, not ebay), the original Might & Magic for the C64 -- in like new condition. Or should I say was in mint condition, until the seller shipped it in a MAILBAG, and the outer box was crushed in transit! :madashell:

Damn it, some people are so stupid and careless it hurts my brain. I mean, the boxes are "FREE" at the post office... no need to go out of your way to use a bag.

Do I send it back... or is the $20 worth it to leave scathing feedback and just forget about it... LOL

-edit--

What really hurts is the realization that this is entirely MY fault, for not specifically requesting that the seller use a box for shipment... :crazy:

Offline Damion

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 05:13:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to have to be more careful in the future. Though *highly* annoying, fortunately it's only something relatively silly. I'm going to ask for a refund... I figure it isn't that rare, and something I'll eventually stumble across again someday.