Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay sucks!  (Read 7209 times)

Description:

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show all replies
eBay sucks!
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
If you are going to post something that is on ebay please put FA or something so I can ignore it! I refuse to patronize ebay and would rather not even look at ebay ads! Thanks :P

• Show all replies
Re: eBay sucks!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »

amigakid wrote:
I am sorry but Ebay is essential to keep building my collection.  My CD32 and the 20+ games, my A1000 + all extra's wouldn't be in my collection without it.  You just have to know who you're buying from that's all.  Cheers

I got most of my stuff from generous donators who saw the value in keeping this stuff alive, even if it was someone else doing it. I don't think I've gotten anything of value off eBay Amiga-wise and I have 20 or so machines. eBay is not a necessary means to enjoying this hobby.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:53:57 PM »
And I am dang tired of people trying to use eBay as a measuring stick for the value of an item. The prices fluctuate so much there is no way to accurately use eBay as a gauge.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
I liken ebay to a pit of vipers.. People who are trying to fleece regular joes for hard to find items. Anytime I am selling Amiga gear I post on the Amiga forums and let people make reasonable bids. The first bid I deem reasonable get is.

One guy in LA was selling an A2000 for 20. Some guy snatched it up the next day to play some old games. The seller emailed me and said, "I should have asked for more". I told him.. hey you wanted 20, you got 20. Go get a couple six packs of beer like you had posted in your ad.. the buyer has a new toy.. everyone wins. The seller wrote back, "I like your take".

I am here to help the community.. not make tons of money on stuff that I know is hard to come by and at the same time in big demand. I feel almost unethical doing so. Even more to the point, most of the stuff I have came to me for free. What kind of jerk would I be to try and profit off something I no longer need that was provided to me as a good gesture? We are a community and as such should work together.. if you don't need something, give it to someone who does or at least give the community the first shot at buying it at a fair price instead of saying, "Oh I'll sell it but you will have to fight it out with everyone else"... I don't like that mindset and I think it's more damaging to the Amiga community.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »

A1260 wrote:
i never used ebay, i never used paypal, and i got all retro computers/consoles i wanted. the trick is to use alernative auction places, forums (as a.org/aw.net etc) and friends, its much cheaper also. so its possible to live without ebay........

:-)

Exactly my point. Some people insist eBay and Windows are necessary. This simply is not true. I have gotten more Amiga hardware than I know what to do with and none of it came from eBay. I have also been Windows-free since 1995 or so!

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »

Tahoe wrote:

gdanko wrote:

I am here to help the community.. not make tons of money on stuff that I know is hard to come by and at the same time in big demand.

Wanna help? Sell me that A3500  :-D   :laughing:   :knuddel:

No!

• Show all replies
Re: You have to wonder...
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:00:27 PM »

LoadWB wrote:
There's an A2500 on eBay right now.  It was re-listed after not selling the first time for $99.95.  Now the seller has this:

I will not let this fabulous Amiga 2500 go for less then $99.95.  If it does not sell this time, I will just smash it up and throw it in the dumpster.  So, if you want this computer, bid on it.  The first time that I listed this Amiga 2500 computer 1317 people viewed it.  So, I know that this is a very desirable computer.  It is very clean and works great.

Personally, I don't think anything like this needs to be said.  I've re-listed items before because they didn't sell.  Sometimes the right buyer doesn't come around the first time.  No big deal.  I understand this guy probably doesn't want to keep hanging on to this unit and is ready to chuck it -- it doesn't need to be said.  And 1317 people were watching it, probably like me to see that it wouldn't sell for the $100 he was asking -- that doesn't need to be said either.  In short, don't chastise us because we didn't buy; just keep your attitude to yourself, re-list, and maybe the right buyer will come along.  Someone's bid on it this time, so good for you.

To me, this guy isn't in it for the Amiga so much as for the money.  If he was really trying to sell it to someone for the love of the machine, he'd let it go for less or at least not {bleep} about not getting $100 for it the first time.  Again, demand sets the market, and the first time there was no demand.  Now there is.

We should collectively contact this character and ask him why he is willing to destroy this 2500! I have emailed him. Based on the name of the seller, this appears to be a business. Why would a business owner destroy their inventory if if doesn't sell for the desired price? Sounds like a tantrum if you ask me!

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »

joekster wrote:
I contacted the seller when the item was first listed... He had removed the accelerator card so now its really an A2000HD. Be warened! - this guy is bad news...

Does he not realize the badge does not make it a 2500, the accelerator does!

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »
Exhibit A: HGC Sales... Hans George Campbell??
Exhibit B: City of Roses is Portland, OR.. close to Doomy..
Exhibit C: Removing the accelerator

This smells of Doomy!

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:10:34 PM »
Confirmed...

Hans Campbell to me

What the hell are you talking about?  Look, if you do not stop harassing me I will inform eBay about it.

----- Original Message -----
To: hgcsales@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: Question for item #320153456488 - Commodore Amiga 2500 Computer with Keyboard and Manual

Dear hgcsales,

Oh hiya Doomy. Glad to see you are back on eBay and abusive to your customers!

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
If I sound like I was badmouthing the guy I apologize. I just don't want to see anyone taken advantage of. :/

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »
Dang that Doomy! He is stripping the accelerator from that 2500!!
Dear greenstench,

If there was an accelerator board installed, the starting bid amount would be a lot higher then $99.95. I have seen accelerator boards on eBay sell for between $80 to $1400, depending on the board. I paid $300 for my PPI 2000/40 board, plus an additional $50 for a 33 MHz 68040 chip and a 66 MHz crystal, plus $160 for 8 of the extremely hard to find 4 megabyte 30-pin SIMMs.

- hgcsales

He is selling an A2000HD and I told him that!

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 06:20:02 AM »
If I get an Amiga 2000 from a kind soul for free and 6 months later I decide I no longer want it I cannot, in good conscience, take money for it. And since most of my stuff has come to me for free I will not make a profit from it. And I would condemn anyone who would.

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 04:30:12 PM »
There are too many greedy folks on eBay who take advantage of those people who really want gear. Where I live there were tons of Amiga users back in the day. People have given me the old Amigas in their garages because they know it is going to a good home.

A particular example is a mint A3000 with Cyberstorm MkIII 060 with 64mb RAM, two 2.0G HDDs, Ariadne, and cv643d. This guy used it in college and just wanted to see someone enjoy it. He could have sold it on eBay and made 100s but he had a different mindset than most. Greed is a powerful thing.

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »
Learn how to bid then. Wait to the last 30 seconds to make your highest bid. If you don't win, get over it, and hope for better luck on another auction.

Or just snipe it.