Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay sucks!  (Read 6833 times)

Description:

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
eBay sucks!
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
If you are going to post something that is on ebay please put FA or something so I can ignore it! I refuse to patronize ebay and would rather not even look at ebay ads! Thanks :P

Offline Amigaz

• Show only replies by Amigaz
Re: eBay sucks!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:10:41 PM »
Amen!  :angel:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:23:38 PM »
eBay rocks.  About 95% of my collection was possible becuase of it.  Sorry but it's easy and makes this hobby easier to get into.

But I do agree, use FA: instead of Sale!
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Bazzaq

• Show only replies by Bazzaq
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »
There are too many fools on ebay, but for buying miggy stuff there is no equal for selection..

Once you figure out that "sold as seen" is more likely to be broken that is......

I have bought and sold on there for many years without being ripped off.

Sale obviously does not mean ebay and so FA should defo be put in the header.
--------------
A4000T 060@50/PPC@233/128MB,Prometheus/Voodoo3/Lan,DCE SD/FF,Prelude

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 08:41:48 PM »
bUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURP! evilBay!!  :elvis:

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »
I am sorry but Ebay is essential to keep building my collection.  My CD32 and the 20+ games, my A1000 + all extra's wouldn't be in my collection without it.  You just have to know who you're buying from that's all.  Cheers

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
EBay is only as bad as the people using it. I have no problems and have made money that could not currently have been made without it or at least a qualitative competitor.
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 09:59:07 PM »
ebay has its good and bad points. I always prefer buying off-ebay, but sometimes ebay is just the only way to get some items in a reasonable amount of time. The prices aren't always horrible if you have some self discipline.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »

amigakid wrote:
I am sorry but Ebay is essential to keep building my collection.  My CD32 and the 20+ games, my A1000 + all extra's wouldn't be in my collection without it.  You just have to know who you're buying from that's all.  Cheers

I got most of my stuff from generous donators who saw the value in keeping this stuff alive, even if it was someone else doing it. I don't think I've gotten anything of value off eBay Amiga-wise and I have 20 or so machines. eBay is not a necessary means to enjoying this hobby.

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
There is nothing wrong with eBay, I got most of my gear from there.
The only comment I must make is that eBay don`t give a s**t about people when they get ripped off.
But it is getting a bit better.

I can tell you some thing that does suck and thats a good prostitute.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

(NOT that I would know)
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 10:53:57 PM »
And I am dang tired of people trying to use eBay as a measuring stick for the value of an item. The prices fluctuate so much there is no way to accurately use eBay as a gauge.

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
ebay is definitely not a realistic way to determine value... though it is a good way to determine how desperate some people are to get items that aren't really that rare, just because someone else might get it first.

That said, I've gotten some GREAT buys on there. The prives fluctuate, and sometimes you're lucky and hit the trough rather than the peak. I've also sometimes overpaid, but sometimes getting it now is more important than getting it at a reasonable price. Not often, but sometimes.

ebay only sucks if you lack the discipline to stay below your maximum price and if you lack patience. I'm kind of ambivalent on it. ebay is full of idiots and its artificially inflated prices on some things, but it also sometimes has some great deals and some genuinely rare items. Its a mixed bag, and can be used in smart ways or dumb ways.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »
Also "untested" means I did everything to try to make it work but short of a seance but no luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
I liken ebay to a pit of vipers.. People who are trying to fleece regular joes for hard to find items. Anytime I am selling Amiga gear I post on the Amiga forums and let people make reasonable bids. The first bid I deem reasonable get is.

One guy in LA was selling an A2000 for 20. Some guy snatched it up the next day to play some old games. The seller emailed me and said, "I should have asked for more". I told him.. hey you wanted 20, you got 20. Go get a couple six packs of beer like you had posted in your ad.. the buyer has a new toy.. everyone wins. The seller wrote back, "I like your take".

I am here to help the community.. not make tons of money on stuff that I know is hard to come by and at the same time in big demand. I feel almost unethical doing so. Even more to the point, most of the stuff I have came to me for free. What kind of jerk would I be to try and profit off something I no longer need that was provided to me as a good gesture? We are a community and as such should work together.. if you don't need something, give it to someone who does or at least give the community the first shot at buying it at a fair price instead of saying, "Oh I'll sell it but you will have to fight it out with everyone else"... I don't like that mindset and I think it's more damaging to the Amiga community.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
@ gdanko

I don't like eBay, and I like Paypal even less. Paypal should a great idea, but since eBay owns it, it's the pits.
I won't say I never sell on eBay, but buying is another story. I usually try to sell stuff here, or amibench, or craigslit, or ????. eBay is the last resort.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+