Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for a non-yellow working NTSC A1200, paying $150  (Read 3875 times)

Description:

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
Re: Looking for a non-yellow working NTSC A1200, paying $150
« Reply #74 from previous page: March 14, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »

terminator4 wrote:
On Ebay: the biggest {bleep} is that Seller Protection Policy with paypal (it's nonexistent).  So sellers get screwed.  Buyers want paypal b/c its offering credit payments and buyer protection (questionable too).  Who wins?  Ebay.  Who loses - sellers.  Which is why so few people want to take paypal.  

Can you explain that bit some more? If the seller has proof of delivery etc, what's the problem? You mean eBay sides with the  buyers most of the time?

Offline da9000

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »

gdanko wrote:
Case in point is the A600 they use those cheap plastic tabs on the case instead of more screws. While the case can be taken apart without breakage you need to have the hands of a surgeon!

I must have the hands of surgeon then! Never broken an A600 :-D

But I agree, screws and better plastics would have been much much better construction-wise.

Offline da9000

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2007, 10:01:11 PM »

gdanko wrote:
But some local guy sees an extraordinarily clean A4000 go for $800 on eBay. In the meantime he has some yellowed hunk of junk but doesn't perceive there is a difference because it still boots up and works. He wants to gouge you for 700-800 for a local transaction because of unrealistic eFraud pricing.

True, but those are rare! I mean, come-on, how many A4000 deals start at $800 ??? I've only seen a couple over the past few months. Most start at the usual $0.99, because they know the market will decide where it's at.

And anyhow, the way to stop that is not by blasting eBay, but 1) no bidding on such items 2) notify the seller that he's on crack (and possibly try to sell him some more? :-D ) and 3) make other people aware of this stupidity (here or other forums, so that anyone reading will feel pressured "by society" that bidding on such high price items will cause other similar items to possibly have such ridiculous starting prices as well

Offline da9000

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2007, 10:04:46 PM »

gdanko wrote:
Plus, he swears everyone else is vulgar. I cannot imagine all of the vulgar and lazy non-paying eBay users are coincidentally enthusiasts who respond to his auctions.

gdanko, I think it's all the buyers that are calling him a vulgar mouth thief, not the other way around.

gdanko wrote:
One thing I find particularly amusing and interesting about Doomy is his "he only did it in retaliation" excuse. He seems to have used this one for just about all of his negatives.
Does he really believe anyone is going to buy his defense that he was always the victim who was attacked first? Especially with the reputation he has created for himself it will be extremely difficult to garner any credibility.

I think that's what qualifies him as a whacko! :-D

Offline da9000

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »

Chubbyrain wrote:
I'm no jobless cheapskate. I'm just being realistic. I think people are confusing their love of Amiga with it's actual financial worth in 2007. I don't see the sense in paying premium price for rendundant technology and I won't. Would you pay $1000 for a 20 year old television? I think not. You'd go buy the latest one for that as you'd get more for your money.

I think people (you) are confusing their Amiga for some cheapskate TV. Believe what you want, but not all items that are old are worth the same value after a certain amount of time. It's ludicrous to compare a 20 year old television with an Amiga. Not only were the QUANTITIES of production different when those items were made, so right away the comparison can't be made one to one, but we're talking about totally different products with different utility and obvious different "fan clubs". Would you say a shiny door stop (made of rock) that is 500 years old should have the same value as a 500 year old hand-crafted door knob which is still usable today ?

Chubbyrain wrote:
Ebay is a free market and people can charge what they like for hardware (Even Dragonlady and her $699 A1200) but that doesn't mean the buyer has to agree. At the end of the day, something is only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

That's why prices are the way they are: because people are willing to pay for them, because to them an Amiga is worth that much. It's special. Get it? That's why we're here, because we feel special with an Amiga. Don't like it? Go away, instead of making us look crazy. Wait, wait. You're here also! Aren't you? Then you must be crazy too!

Chubbyrain wrote:
If you get someone with more money than sense then good for you. But don't expect that to be the norm. It's a buyers market.

Why do you assume to know people (buyers) which you've never met or have any clue about? What makes you so certain that they have more money than sense? And afterall, isn't that a tad-bit oxymoronic: people who have money are senseless, but then HOW did they ever make that money???? Without sense of value and worth of money, one can't easily make money unless 1) inherits tons of money (how often does that happen?) and 2) is a lucky S.O.B. and wins the lottery (even more rare)

People who have (made) lots of money have a lot of sensibility about money and the worth of money (not saying they're sensible overall, or not corrupt, etc)

Chubbyrain wrote:
Rembember, the average person in the street would just laugh at your Amiga computer and what you think it's worth. They can by their XYZ brand PC that'll do more for the same money. You can argue all you want about how much better than the PC the Amiga is, but a modern PC destroys a 1993 Amiga in every application you could put it to.

Here you go again comparing irrelevant things. Surely a 2007 PC is faster in many ways than _any_ Amiga, but surely one can make the point that the VALUE of an Amiga, to them, is MUCH higher than any PC, because of the nostalgia void inside of them that gets instantly filled and gratified by beholding such an old decrepid piece of hardware.

Please, before you make any comparisons, think of the logic. An average person buying a modern PC (for whatever reason, talking on Skype lets say) would _NEVER_ consider a vintage machine. Conversely, one average user who buys an Amiga computer would _NEVER_ buy it to do "modern tasks" (talking on Skype, using Flash video and YouTube, etc). Now there's an exception: an above average user buying an Amiga for "modern tasks", in which case this person is already aware that rare things cost, and especially the fastest of those rare things.

Chubbyrain wrote:
The only people really interested in buying your Amiga are those within the Amiga community. Do you really want to rip them off?

This is the only point you've made with merit. Do you (the seller) want the Amiga to proliferate even to the poorer classes of users, or not. That's a good philosophical question to ask oneself, as a seller, and I must say I'll have to think about this, so as to decide for myself what I should do when I sell Amiga items

Cheers

Offline da9000

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2007, 10:22:33 PM »

KThunder wrote:
ebay has kept more amigas alive and in circulation than any other site or store.

think about it if you had an amiga that you wanted to get rid of and you knew you would only get 20 bucks for it on ebay would you go though the hastle or just junk it.

totally different story if you can get 150 or more for it.

Excellent point!!!!

KThunder wrote:
amigas are not now and never have been a cheap hobby. you want cheap entertainment: get a pc

Hehehe, I love it! "you want cheap entertainment: get a pc" :-D

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2007, 04:38:05 AM »
Can you explain that bit some more? If the seller has proof of delivery etc, what's the problem? You mean eBay sides with the  buyers most of the time?[/quote]

Exactly that.  Ebay takes side of buyer more than seller.  I had a case where i had proof of shipping and all.  Ebay doesnt care, it offers protection policy enforced at the expense of sellers.  Lets face it also, very few of the amigas today are in mint and perfect condition.  If you look closely you will always find something wrong.  Ebay will still take side of buyer over seller, even if item is sold as is etc.

Offline jbuonacc

• Show only replies by jbuonacc
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2007, 06:31:33 AM »
true, it's not perfect but the benefits sometimes far outweigh the bad. even for stupid things - i just sold an old Beastie Boys/RUN-DMC tour shirt for $87 that i pulled out of a stack for $4 or so (then again, there's some wacko selling two of them for $279 each). for things like this, you can't go wrong. vintage computer stuff is a bit different, everyone wants a mint condition system working perfectly. in a perfect situation this can happen - i recently bought a C64 and 1541 (both boxed) for $65 that had literally never been used before.

if modification is possible, i just noticed a boxed A1200 in nice shape from the UK (PAL) for BIN ~$110 shipped to the US.

Offline JKD

• Show only replies by JKD
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2007, 07:18:46 AM »
Did the OP ever get his A1200?

Offline JKD

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2007, 08:18:04 PM »
?

Offline jbuonacc

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
no, i don't believe they did. still holding out, i think.

why, do you have one for sale?

Offline JKD

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »

no, i don't believe they did. still holding out, i think.

why, do you have one for sale?

I have an A1200 kicking around doing nothing, but not 100% sure that it's what he needs. I PM'd him but no reply.

Offline klesterjr

• Show only replies by klesterjr
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2007, 04:17:23 AM »
$150 1200 on eBay

(my auction)

Offline jbuonacc

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2007, 04:26:45 AM »
 :-o who's the fool who actually put a bid in on it? why bid when you know it'll end up higher than the BIN? should've set a reserve just to keep it available, by the time i went to buy i wasn't able to.