Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for a non-yellow working NTSC A1200, paying $150  (Read 3873 times)

Description:

Offline ChubbyrainTopic starter

• Show only replies by Chubbyrain
Re: Looking for a non-yellow working NTSC A1200, paying $150
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 02:37:01 AM »
I wish I had a basement. I'd keep the wife in it and the Amiga upstairs in the warm.
International Beer Taster

Offline jbuonacc

• Show only replies by jbuonacc
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 08:33:29 AM »
well, mainly based on the response from you guys on this, i just bought a NTSC Amiga 1200 for $200+. doesn't come with much at all (no manuals or OS disks even), and has an 80mb HD installed. sound ok? i figure for what i want (don't like the looks of tower or PC-style 1/2/4000) it's probably the best Amiga i can get. honestly, i wouldn't like to pay more than $150 myself but after looking around i see that's not much of an option. seems ~$200 is more realistic.

not sure why i'm surprised by this, i'm a converted Atari user that knows very well what Falcon030's or even nice STE's can sell for. (then again, i don't think any Commodore or Amiga could match the build quality of an Atari.) there's just that part of me that knows there's probably hundreds of Commodore, Amiga, or Atari sytems out there at garage sales or flea markets or :gasp: computer recycling places that could be had for a few dollars. it's this endless search for the $20 system that has warped my perspective over the years. and at the same time i have a $2000 synthesizer, a $1000 laptop, a $500 set of monitors, a $500 audio interface, etc, etc... all this and i still don't want to pay more than $20 for a C64! :-P good way to get started, i guess...

so, i guess i've now bought three Amigas in the past week. :-o good way to get started, i guess...

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 09:05:14 AM »
Well deals can be had, I recently got a very nice shape NTSC A1200 with monitor, Blizzard 1230 IV, external floppy and printer for $20 on Craigs List!!  But I did pay $170 for a A1200 a few years back on the rip off bay.  All I know is that NTSC units fetch a lot more than PAL units, so unless you are in a hurry wait it out and check CL or other places, you might get lucky.  Good luck.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline PaperMario

• Show only replies by PaperMario
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 09:11:49 AM »
pretty good price for A1200, but only if it's a ntsc model.
asked for mine simliar amount.
I saw one recently that sold for $250+ on ebay(computer only).

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »

PaperMario wrote:
pretty good price for A1200, but only if it's a ntsc model.
asked for mine simliar amount.
I saw one recently that sold for $250+ on ebay(computer only).

This is because eFraud is a pit of vipers! The price something fetches on eBay is by no means an accurate measure of its value. I don't know why some people use eBay prices as a measuring stick for an item's worth. That mindset is completely ludicrous.

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 03:16:42 PM »

value. I don't know why some people use eBay prices as a measuring stick for an item's worth. That mindset is completely ludicrous.

Because one can get that much...
Why should i sell for less?  A person may be better off to keep it then.  Sure some prices are far fetched, but its a collectible just like cars.
im posting this as a FYI and as a record (that I wasn't pulling things out of the sky) that an amiga 1200 can be worth as much $400, with network card, rom 3.1/os 3.1 and 16mb and 68030 board.  but definitely more than $150.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150098912316

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »
i got an ntsc 1200 with psu and 4meg memory card for $100

i sold the memory card for 35  

put a 50mhz 030 accl with 32 meg ram in to it and got a multisync monitor and sold the whole thing for 200 to buy my 3000 (which im thinking of selling((it has 3.1 roms,3.1 on hd retina video full chip and fast etc,etc))
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline James

• Show only replies by James
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
Buy a PAL unit, and send Agnus' pin41 to GND. There you go... an NSTC unit.

But euh.... I've got an NTSC 1200 here and I would exchange it *any day* for a PAL unit. Find me a working PAL unit, and I will give you my NTSC one. It's near mint, only slightly yellowing on the keys. I'm keeping my accel and ram though. I'm in Montreal so shipping wouldn't be a problem... lemme know. random_zak[at]hotmail[dot]com

Offline gdanko

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
How is that done?

Offline James

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
On an NSTC unit, you lift pin41 from the socket, send it to +5 via a 4.7k resistor and boom, its a PAL unit. I'm just assuming the reverse is true really... though Im not responsible if you burn your mobo :)

Offline gdanko

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
Mine is an NTSC so I am ok :)

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 08:49:36 PM »

ral-clan wrote:
DonP1 wrote:
I am puzzled why you would want to throw away $150 if you have an emulator. Is having the actual hardware really worth it?

Why fix up an original classic car when you can buy a modern kit car replica?  Why go rock climing when you can just go to one of those rock climbing gyms?

Because it's a FAKE EXPERIENCE!
Because it's an ILLUSION, and your smarter brain (not the one that typed the abve message), CAN and WILL tell the difference!

People, watch the first Matrix movie. Pay attention to the steak scene. Understand the reason you're are who you are: only human. And that means tangible creatures in a 4 dimensional world. We've not been "jacked in yet" (although we're getting much closer). So that means that tactile sense and tangibility is inate and insubordinate.

Emulators are cool and fun, but you're only fooling yourself, for as long as you can.

Now, don't take this wrong: I'm not dismissing emulators. I think having both is good. Especially if you need to do anything that needs to exceed the computing power of the native hardware.

All I'm saying is: have both (covers you legally too :)

Lastly for prices: I certainly don't like high prices, as I'm not the one with the deep pockets, yet seeing how the Amigas still command such high prices and trying to understasnd it, I've come to the conclusion that it's NOT due to the "greedy eBayers" people. It's simple: that "old" "retro" "80's" "vintage" "yellowing" (shame on you who uttered these words) Amiga is JUST THE BEST FREAGGING HOME COMPUTING MACHINE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!

Certain people (most), understand this, believe this and are willing to pay for it. If you want to change this, you have to convince this majority otherwise. Good luck, because you'll be starting with a false promise.

SO SHUT UP YOUR CRYING AND WHINNING! You're not getting an IBM clone, nor an Amstard, nor an Atari, nor a Mac. You're getting the BEST. PERIOD. And that means you'll pay top bucks, 10 years later, and 20 years later, and even more down the road.

And after all, if they were such "unworthy" items, why the hell do you want one? GO HOME, YOU LAZY BUMS! (You're lazy because as certain people pointed in this thread, IF you do your homework and be patient, you'll pay very little for your Amiga, because afterall, you want it for free, because you THINK it's worth as much as an Atari, etc..)

Finally: think of where ELSE you spent your money. I bet that "BRAND NEW" (Made in China) printer or scanner you bought cost almost as much as $100, and yet you KNOW that P.O.S. (piece of s...) will BREAK, GUARANTEED, in less than 1 year, or nearing the 1 year warranty date, _UNLIKE_ that Amiga. So _why_ is such an AWESOME machine that lasts, oh, about 20+ years already, not worth that $100-300 price? EH?? WHY??? Keep on shopping your plastic garbage, and being suckered every year by changing interfaces and "1 year death-designs", and leave this "old vintage" hardware to us, ok?

Note: I like other old-school hardware, including Atari's :-), but I know what's number one.

Offline da9000

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »

Anyway I've spent a small fortune on my Amiga 2000 and have not succeeded in getting it to run consistently or right for that matter.  I spent the money to learn the OS and the hardware, whatever.......

My 2 cents

Neil

Errr... please don't listen to this dribble, because there are THOUSANDS of peolpe who've done the same and the hardware works just fine for them.

Sure there are problems, as with ALL hardware (ever tried a PC? heck, even my Macs have had hardware problems), but most of it is documented, and extremely well for such "old vintage" hardware such as the Amiga.

Just like anything else in life (notice: this does not apply to lazy people), do some research and reading, and you won't fall in the holes. Simple.

So for the record: my Amigas work perfectly. Only time I had trouble was wheen hardware burned or died (which, surprise!, happens on any hardware that exists on this planet!)

Offline da9000

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »

jbuonacc wrote:
computer recycling places that could be had for a few dollars. it's this endless search for the $20 system that has warped my perspective over the years. and at the same time i have a $2000 synthesizer, a $1000 laptop, a $500 set of monitors, a $500 audio interface, etc, etc... all this and i still don't want to pay more than $20 for a C64! :-P good way to get started, i guess...

That's what I'm talking about! Look at the where money goes!

Now that's a guy I like: jbuonacc. Honest and realistic.

Offline da9000

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »

gdanko wrote:
This is because eFraud is a pit of vipers! The price something fetches on eBay is by no means an accurate measure of its value. I don't know why some people use eBay prices as a measuring stick for an item's worth. That mindset is completely ludicrous.

No, that's not true. If you sit down and compare eBay prices with prices in ami-bench, and various forums and of course NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT "freebies" from Craiglist, then you'll realize that people selling an Amiga and KNOWING what they are selling, will quote simlar prices.

You can't realistically say that "market value" includes people who DON'T know what they are selling, because it's like telling me that a kid in Africa that tries to sell you a "pretty rock" for $1, which then you take home and realize is a diamond, all of a sudden makes the "market value" for diamonds lower. I don't think so.

Note: I'm not necessarily an eBay lover, in fact most of the times I've lost most bids I really wanted to those with deeper pockets, etc, but I'm not unrealistic enough to make it be the sole reason for the high prices.

Offline James

« Reply #44 from previous page: March 13, 2007, 09:47:14 PM »
Was it necessary to post 4 times in a row to say this?