Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC Just as Slow After Win 7 Re-install.  (Read 1415 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
PC Just as Slow After Win 7 Re-install.
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
So I got another laptop sitting here, it's a single core, 2Gb system running Windows 7 64-bit. It had a few virus' which I cleaned out, but that, and removing unnecessary bloatware did not make a difference. I ran every Windows fixing piece of software that I have in my collection (too many to list) and at the end of it all, nothing.

So I did a fresh install of Windows 7, at first it was a tad bit faster, but once you install Avast, Malwarebytes, and Firefox, everything is about as slow as before.

The hard drive has no errors, and the only thing I can think it could be is the mother board?
Mind you, it's an old single core system, but it should not take 5 to 10 minutes for programs to load and the hard drive light should not be lit up all day long.

Any clues? I'm dropping a solid state in it next...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amiman99

Re: PC Just as Slow After Win 7 Re-install.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:24:04 AM »
I would go to Task Manager>Performance and check how much Physical RAM is used and how much if Free.
A lot of disk usage is caused by low RAM and too much SWAP used.

Maybe needs more RAM?
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:20:30 AM »
It is always possible to get a slow PC to work a little faster if you are willing to compromise a little with the stuff it is running at all times. This can be done by turning off stuff that you really don't need to be started upon booting, and by dropping some of the visual "eyecandy" effects.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
What OS originally came on it?

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:18:06 AM »
I would see if it can take 4GB, 2GB is just enough but you will find it will preform better with 4GB.

I would also get an SSD this too will increase speed :-) Lastly I'd install Windows 10 Preview and you notice even better performance :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:56:41 AM »
You also don't mention what spec the CPU is or how old it is?
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline zipper

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 05:15:44 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;785505
I would go to Task Manager>Performance and check how much Physical RAM is used and how much if Free.

And to Processes, which process is using memory and how much; which process is using CPU and how much.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 07:10:45 AM »
I'm guessing you're an experienced windows user so guess you had the system running at a good speed previously for comparison.  Normally Malware and AV software will do a full system baseline scan in the background. Cold this be the impact? has it been a while since the reinstall?
As a side I gave up on full blown AV / AM software because of performance impacting tasks. Now I just use Defender native and through this control and personal controls haven't yet had an issue. Yet. But if the laptop is to be used for risky stuff, torrenting etc that might not be a good idea.
Finally assuming you formatted you HD and didn't do a reinstall to a new directory.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »
Wow, so many good questions unanswered!

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
Cant believe noone has mentioned the number one problem with laptops.

If you have pets (or just general dust build up), your slow issues could be down to clogged fan and heat sink.
My sister had same problems and was about to buy a new laptop (CRAZY). So I took a look and dog hair had created a coat across the heatsink fins. This had the effect on causing the speed stepping to kick in and was dropping the CPU down to 20MHz. It would take 30 to 40 mins to do anything on it.
Once cleaned out, the machine was back to as new speed.

I have 8.1 running perfectly fine and fast on my daughters single core 64bit CPU and 2GB RAM. So cant see it being your single core CPU at all. Hell I even had WindowsXP running on a slow machine with only 32MB RAM.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:39:03 AM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.