Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple Watch, lol  (Read 6777 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Apple Watch, lol
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:30:11 AM »
Thoughts on today's announcement: One of Apple's traditional strengths has been to take existing technologies and refine and integrate them into a very attractive package. See; iPod, iPhone, iPad.

I think this is what they're trying to do with their new watch. Problem is, as I see it, the smart-watch market isn't mature enough for Apple to have iterated something unique. I think they've come in as just another player alongside Android and Pebble instead of something new and disruptive (which seems to be a popular buzzword for technology companies these days).

That being said, I can see how this product would appeal to some users and I won't fault them for their interest.

But anyone who plunks down $10K-$17K for the gold version is a complete f*****g idiot. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:31:27 AM by Matt_H »

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Apple Watch, lol
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:57 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786091
Thoughts on today's announcement: One of Apple's traditional strengths has been to take existing technologies and refine and integrate them into a very attractive package. See; iPod, iPhone, iPad.

I think this is what they're trying to do with their new watch. Problem is, as I see it, the smart-watch market isn't mature enough for Apple to have iterated something unique. I think they've come in as just another player alongside Android and Pebble instead of something new and disruptive (which seems to be a popular buzzword for technology companies these days).

That being said, I can see how this product would appeal to some users and I won't fault them for their interest.

First 'new' product line since Mr Jobs departed the mortal realm (speaks volumes)

It's a niche product at best..I predict a bigger flop than the plastic iPhone.   Hardly anybody even uses a watch these days and who wants to do 'stuff' on a tiny low-resolution display when you already have a massive HD device in your pocket (or your hand!).

Quote from: Matt_H;786091
But anyone who plunks down $10K-$17K for the gold version is a complete f*****g idiot. :)

My thoughts exactly, it should be like an intelligence test...if you buy one then you qualify for life long government assistance.

Next they'll be bringing out special glasses that allow you to view your TV in 3D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:10:47 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:46:19 AM »
Right up there with you guys.
I am a fan of any company or individual that displays attention to detail, favours innovation, challenges the status quo, etc. And it's for those reasons I have a nice assortment of Apple products.
But this smart-watch play Apple are making is all over the place and not in line with their core philosophy. It appears they didn't want to come late to this party and decided to release a watch that does just about everything and if you happen to do a lot of those in a day, chances are you'll run out of juice. So not Apple.

As a user of the Pebble Steel smart-watch I have incorporated the use of wrist vibration and quick glance notifications into my professional and personal life. I didn't know just how practical it would be until I actually got it. 5-7 days of battery is not ideal but charging once a week is pretty good compared to once a day.

I have already preordered via Kickstarter the Pebble Time Steel as it uses colour e-ink and still provides the 5-7 days battery life.

That's one thing that I don't understand; If colour e-ink is available, why did Apple go for a power-hungry LCD display? Because it's higher res? So I can see my photos on a 42mm screen? We went from: "No one wants to watch video on a little screen" (Steve Jobs voicing his disinterest in bringing video to the iPod) to: "People are going to love being able to have their photos on their wrist" (Tim Cook trying to justify the poor choice of components for the Apple Watch).

Best case of a 'Solution in search of a Problem' thus far.

On a separate note, I would love me some of that 12" MacBook Retina, but since it does;t have a 16GB and i& option I will be going for the 13" Pro.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:49:08 AM »
I was the first kid in grade school to wear a 'digital' watch...ya cool in a nerdy kind of way back then but then I grew up and cool was (and still is) a vintage Omega my grandfather used to wear! Now do you think this Apple watch is for me :uzi:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »
Apple schanpple....  

Pebble Time FTW :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »
I am sure there are millions of fanboys, who will spend a lot on this, heck, they would spend hundreds of dollars on an Apple branded tea kettle, Claiming Apple did something innovative and new.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
Plenty of people will buy the high end one, and as with any other high end products, the vast majority of people will consider them fools.  No different than a person buying a Bugatti Veyron to drive his kid to school when really, a Honda is more practical.

I think the common thing not being noted by people is that while, yes - you can buy a $17,000 Apple Watch, the entry level one offers the same functionality for $349.  Others are also (foolishly, imho) defending the $17k version with "Well, it's a limited edition and the gold value alone in that watch is worth $12k - $15k itself).  There's a simple fact here that there are traditional watches on the market now for half a million dollars.  You can spend $30,000 on a Rolex and not even be buying their high end.  $17,000 is a mere drop in the bucket compared to something like a Greubel Forsey watch, which is $750,000.

As for the watch as a whole, it's a Rev. 1 device.  While is does have some unique features compared to the other smart watches, it's also a pretty widely known in joke that anyone buying Rev. 1 Apple devices is in effect a paying beta tester.  There's also been rumors that on the higher end ones, a trade-in program might be offered for the next versions, so that may make a bit more sense, but I'll believe that rumor when I see it.  A trade in program directly via Apple is very un-Apple like.

All this being said, I do think the Apple Watch will be wildly successful.  I have no doubts we will see the $17,000 ones on the wrists of A List celebs and the like.  That being said, I've often joked that Apple could bronze a pile of dog turds, add an Apple logo, and people would be lining up to buy them as some sort of status/geek chic symbol.  Until battery life on smart watches as a whole gets into the 7+ days zone, they are just impractical for most people at any price.

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »
Quote from: agami;786096
That's one thing that I don't understand; If colour e-ink is available, why did Apple go for a power-hungry LCD display? Because it's higher res? So I can see my photos on a 42mm screen? We went from: "No one wants to watch video on a little screen" (Steve Jobs voicing his disinterest in bringing video to the iPod) to: "People are going to love being able to have their photos on their wrist" (Tim Cook trying to justify the poor choice of components for the Apple Watch).

I think e-ink has the potential to be absolutely incredible, but it's not there yet. The new Pebble is the first color application of it I've seen, and that's a tremendous advance. But in terms of image quality/refresh speed it seems like it's currently on par with late 80s/early 90s LCD screens. If they can improve it just a little more I think it will be the next big thing.

I think that's a good way to put it. If they'd waited another year - for a potential problem to surface - I think they'd do better right out of the gate. Of course, there's always Apple Watch 2. And as Duce here says, first-generation Apple customers are paying betatesters. :)

On a separate note, I would love me some of that 12" MacBook Retina, but since it does;t have a 16GB and i& option I will be going for the 13" Pro.

The design of the new Macbook is intriguing, but it is criminally underpowered for the price they're asking. They need to either cut the price by 40-50% or slap in a Core i7 (and a second USB port) for me to be interested.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786117
The design of the new Macbook is intriguing, but it is criminally underpowered for the price they're asking. They need to either cut the price by 40-50% or slap in a Core i7 (and a second USB port) for me to be interested.

People probably get bored of hearing this but MacOS really does more with less power.  Bought the wife a 11inch Air the other day.  The thing is so fast and responsive.  Makes a joke of my quad core i7 alienware laptop with ssd.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 02:04:35 PM »
Quote from: yssing;786112
I am sure there are millions of fanboys, who will spend a lot on this, heck, they would spend hundreds of dollars on an Apple branded tea kettle, Claiming Apple did something innovative and new.
I'm not convinced, Apple often enter a market with something simple but effective. Then you can accept the hype. But with the Apple watch I have yet to see anyone want one... I'm a contented apple user, but I would recommend a pebble.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
The Pebble watches are not even comparable in functionality to even the older Android Wear watches, and dependent on which phone you have the Pebble linked to, it's a wildly different experience.

I am a supporter of Pebble in the past and present, but as an owner of both a Moto 360 and a Pebble Steel, the Pebble resembles a 1990's calculator watch in comparison to the functionality of the Moto 360.  It's not even close, and both devices are far from perfect.

As a bought and paid owner of both devices, I don't consider either a valuable enough experience that if I was to head to work without putting one of them on my wrist, that my productivity would be in the least bit affected within my work day.  I consider no smart watch a must have device, but I'm sure the "nerd chic" status of the Apple Watch will get them a lot of sales no matter how gimped the thing is at launch.

That may change once battery life, functionality improves.  Pebble offers great battery life, but what the thing can actually do compared to the Moto isn't even comparable.  The Moto has terrible battery life, but can do a lot more than my Pebble does, but Pebble are rapidly improving the apps.

Until either, or any other contenders can offer a true standalone experience, we're still in early days.  As far as the Apple Watch goes, I got out of the Apple ecosystem a year or so ago for good and couldn't be happier, despite being a big fan of the iPhone, I just can't stand being tied to their store ecosystem and more importantly, iTunes.  ITunes for Windows is a plague.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:01:01 PM by Duce »

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »
All these smart watches are crap. Battery tech is not good enough for these devices to be useful. Charging my phone up every few days is bad enough let charging my watch up every day. My current watch is smarter then any of the current smart watches. It requires no batteries and changes the time and date by its self. Even if I go to to another country it will change the time its self to suit.

Offline Rob

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 03:43:01 PM »
Quote from: goldfish;786130
All these smart watches are crap. Battery tech is not good enough for these devices to be useful. Charging my phone up every few days is bad enough let charging my watch up every day. My current watch is smarter then any of the current smart watches. It requires no batteries and changes the time and date by its self. Even if I go to to another country it will change the time its self to suit.

I always had a Casio F-91W as sometime sported by Osama Bin Laden.  I never had a battery die on it, it always tended to get lost after 4 or 5 years so I've no idea how long the battery lasts.  The last watch fell apart a few weeks after an adventure in the washer/dryer, although it did still function up until it came apart.

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
Quote from: agami;786096
As a user of the Pebble Steel smart-watch I have incorporated the use of wrist vibration and quick glance notifications into my professional and personal life. I didn't know just how practical it would be until I actually got it. 5-7 days of battery is not ideal but charging once a week is pretty good compared to once a day.

Many people have to remember to charge their smartphones daily anyway. For most of them, charging one more device at the same time should be a non-issue.

In practice, keeping track of devices with vastly different battery charging schedules is actually a much bigger mental challenge.

That's one thing that I don't understand; If colour e-ink is available, why did Apple go for a power-hungry LCD display? Because it's higher res? So I can see my photos on a 42mm screen?

The Apple Watch uses an OLED screen which uses less power than LCD displays but provides (arguably) even better picture quality.

I am very familiar with e-ink displays and have been following the related developments closely. However, even a colored e-ink display would be a complete deal breaker on a 10.000 USD smart-watch designed to compete with existing high-end watches.

For the time being, the Apple Watch is primarily a replacement for Apple´s (small) iPod series of products.

Consumers have strongly preferred bigger smartphones for a while now and Apple finally released bigger iPhones last autumn but this also meant that the form factors had now become a little too big for a number of common uses. If you are an active person, an Apple Watch is a much better device for listening to music (and monitoring your health) than a comparably bulky iPhone would be.

With regard to the future, surveys have shown very strong consumer demand for devices that monitor people´s health. A smart/watch is a natural fit for these type of tasks. Reports indicate that the current generation of sensors used by Apple is just not good enough yet to provide reliable health statistics but this may very well change in the future.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:20:46 PM by Andre.Siegel »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
I'm shocked not a single comment yet from anyone asking to port OS4 or MorphOS or AROS to it.  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos