Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **  (Read 8680 times)

Description:

Offline FerretSimp

• Show only replies by FerretSimp
Re: ** HOT FLASH ** EFIKA is now the biggest ever Team Aros Bounty! **
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 23, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »

koaftder wrote:

800MHz PC w/ 256MB ram, 20Gig HD from dumpster: free

You can goto a thrift store and pick up a PC with twice the power of an efka for $20 and run aros on it. To me, aros on efika is worthless.

Wow! The wonder of the free country. Over here, they'll charge you $200 for a P2.

And you can't directly compare the processor megahertz, the 400mhz PPC chips tended to be at least as powerful as the 700-800mhz chips they were competing with.

Maybe the PC would have more ram, but it's still a huge, butt ugly PC. PC. Not Amiga, not AROS computer. I hate PC hardware. It's shoddy, cheap and unreliable. My PC's tendto average 5-6 years TOPS before they burn out, while some manage 3 years. I have UNIX workstations and Amigas and goodnes knows what else, running still when they were madein the early nineties.

In fact I think my oldest functional PC is around 1997 after continual repair with NOS parts, whereas I have a BBC that still work perfectly.

If you want to stick with a PC, stick with a PC. GO install windows. I'm happy with getting an Amiga.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »

FerretSimp wrote:

koaftder wrote:

You can goto a thrift store and pick up a PC with twice the power of an efka for $20 and run aros on it. To me, aros on efika is worthless.

Wow! The wonder of the free country. Over here, they'll charge you $200 for a P2.

Actually I can find 600MHz PIII's and Athlons in skips... they are pretty much free... a local Computer store had some 1Ghz Athlon XPs for £5 the other week...

And you can't directly compare the processor megahertz, the 400mhz PPC chips tended to be at least as powerful as the 700-800mhz chips they were competing with.

Don't be silly. a 400Mhz PPC G4 is about as fast as a 400Mhz PIII...

Maybe the PC would have more ram, but it's still a huge, butt ugly PC. PC. Not Amiga, not AROS computer. I hate PC hardware. It's shoddy, cheap and unreliable.

Shoddy, cheap, unreliable? lets see some stats?

My PC's tendto average 5-6 years TOPS before they burn out, while some manage 3 years.

You called 6 years unreliable? Weird...

After 3 years computer hardware is obsolete. Fact.

I have UNIX workstations and Amigas and goodnes knows what else, running still when they were madein the early nineties.

That must be nice for you...?

In fact I think my oldest functional PC is around 1997 after continual repair with NOS parts, whereas I have a BBC that still work perfectly.

Right... and I have a TI-82 that is probably more functional than your BBC...

If you want to stick with a PC, stick with a PC. GO install windows. I'm happy with getting an Amiga.

Good.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »

FerretSimp wrote:

koaftder wrote:

Maybe the PC would have more ram, but it's still a huge, butt ugly PC. PC. Not Amiga, not AROS computer. I hate PC hardware. It's shoddy, cheap and unreliable. My PC's tendto average 5-6 years TOPS before they burn out, while some manage 3 years. I have UNIX workstations and Amigas and goodnes knows what else, running still when they were madein the early nineties.

The Efika will never be an Amiga. It will most likely never run os4. If you want aros right now, you need a PC. All Efika is right now, is a linux box, and an underpowerd one at that.

Would you hold your breath waiting for MOS/AOs4 or Aros to be ported to efika? I wouldn't.

Buy an Efika, get a crappy linux box, w00t.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »

Yer right, I wouldn't compare an embedded 603 to a p3, period.

Offline FerretSimp

• Show only replies by FerretSimp
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2007, 03:55:18 PM »
Note the >$1000 bounty.

I'm saying that WHEN someone ports AROS, it will be the first AROS computer that's not just a Pizzak' Rrap made by some dodgy PC company in the mid nineties.

Look at the fact that Genesi are putting money into this. They want it to be an AROS box, lots of other people want it to be an AROS box and it would make a far better AROS box board than a K6-2 or a Duron.

Amiga are never going to port anything to anything! They're one of the few companies that I don't consider to even be Amiga anymore! Ex-Parrot.

I'm saying, as several other people are, that when AROS is ported this will be a good system.

Saying that it's a waste of time just because it's obsolete? Why are the people saying that even here? Amiga is obsolete. Everything to do with Amiga is obsolete. It's never going to be anything BUT obsolete. The closest you'll come now is one of the new Be replacements.

Lots of people just happen to think that an Obsolete computer specially for the Obsolete Open Source Operating system, would be good.

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »

koaftder wrote:

I do hope a port is made avaiable though, for the only reason that it will help force the codebase to be multi arch.

Dude, you're missing the coolness factor. :-)
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline koaftder

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »

FerretSimp wrote:
Note the >$1000 bounty.

I'm saying that WHEN someone ports AROS, it will be the first AROS computer that's not just a Pizzak' Rrap made by some dodgy PC company in the mid nineties.

Look at the fact that Genesi are putting money into this. They want it to be an AROS box, lots of other people want it to be an AROS box and it would make a far better AROS box board than a K6-2 or a Duron.

Amiga are never going to port anything to anything! They're one of the few companies that I don't consider to even be Amiga anymore! Ex-Parrot.

I'm saying, as several other people are, that when AROS is ported this will be a good system.

Saying that it's a waste of time just because it's obsolete? Why are the people saying that even here? Amiga is obsolete. Everything to do with Amiga is obsolete. It's never going to be anything BUT obsolete. The closest you'll come now is one of the new Be replacements.

Lots of people just happen to think that an Obsolete computer specially for the Obsolete Open Source Operating system, would be good.

If they wanted AROS on the Efika, they would have hired a guy to port it. Paying 1000 dollars to port an operating system to a new platform is like pissing in a developers coffee mug. Genesi has played every trick in the book to sucker people into thinking the Efika has something to do with amiga when in fact, it's just an embedded device running linux at the moment.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »

FerretSimp wrote:
Note the >$1000 bounty.

My Macbook Pro is not a "Pizzak' Rrap made by some dodgy PC company in the mid nineties"!

It would be a good AROS box. But it would not be as powerful or as cheap as a new Duron...

Amiga don't do anything anymore... it's Hyperion that you want to talk to.

Yes it will.

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »
this is just another fine way for bbr to sabotage aros... and everyone knows that ainc and hyperion are never gonna cooperate with bbr in anyway.. so aos4.0 will never be released for efika, period!... its about time people wake up!.. if you are gonna support aros put your money where things have been devloped the most, the x86 version...
________
Volcano Vaporizers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:08:40 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »

c64_d0c wrote:
this is just another fine way for bbr to sabotage aros... and everyone knows that ainc and hyperion are never gonna cooperate with bbr in anyway.. so aos4.0 will never be released for efika, period!... its about time people wake up!.. if you are gonna support aros put your money where things have been devloped the most, the x86 version...

People are allowed to have AROS running on whatever hardware they want to pay for! :-)

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »
this is just another fine way for bbr to sabotage aros

:roflmao:

Interesting conspiracy theory.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2007, 01:17:46 AM »
by FerretSimp on 2007/1/23 9:50:22

It will be the first "official" AROS computer. That's actually quite a big step when you think about it. A machine that you can go out and buy, specially to run AROS on.

Actually, no.  Black Troll's LE was the first "official" AROS computer.  I still have AROS on the first "official" AROS laptop.  Pity the OEM was such a {bleep}, I couldn't expose my customers to that type of horrific support.

Dammy
Head Troll
Black Troll Technology Corporation
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2007, 02:58:21 AM »
Just because there is a bounty doesn't ACTUALLY MEAN ANYTHING WILL HAPPEN>...

Look at the Amizilla project. as a great example.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2007, 03:21:48 AM »
Aros on Efika is a waste of time.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:06 AM »
Aros on Efika is a waste of time.

If people want it, then it's not a waste of time.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline mihcael

• Show only replies by mihcael
    • http://brutalamiga.mikendezign.com/
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2007, 06:02:23 AM »
If people want it, then it's not a waste of time.

Some People obviously want it, but does anybody want to code it?

Bounty now $1500