Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port  (Read 34689 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:41:42 AM »
Early BETA video, lots of work to do still (I've only been working on this for a week!)

I fancied doing something a bit less 'heavy' after porting Descent Rebirth and DosBox (both too slow for real HW).  

I'm not sure if this will run ok on 030 yet but I'll give it a go.

[youtube]IAX4TZxI1jg[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Re: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:08:38 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;739905
Sweet :) Just promise me you'll add dedicated strafe keys so I can use a proper WASD layout...

I'll see what I can do :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
Quote from: Xanxi;739909
Nice port with sound!

The Wolf3D Amiga port available so far is very good speedwise, but unfortunately has no sound, which makes the game difficult to play.

I don't agree with the need of a WASD layout (which is more like ZQSD on my french keyboard by the way :-) ).
This game is meant for the directional keys, or else a joystick/gamepad/mouse.

It might even have music as well (either MUS format like DOOM or digital like the SFX, not sure yet).

You'll be able use the sounds from different versions of the game (eg the Jaguar port) with this Amiga port, this is done by using the WolfExractor from http://wolf3dredux.sourceforge.net/

This is actually a massive hack, it's based on the PSP SDL port with bits of WolfRedux and Quake 2 mixed in.

It should support Wolf + Spear of Destiny (full game and shareware)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;739951
This would be totally sweet, but there's one tricky bit - Wolfenstein uses iD's IMF format, which is not MIDI-based (unlike DOOM's MUS format) and OPL-specific. However, there is an IMF-to-MIDI converter, with source, so if you could work that into the code (and add customizable instrument maps) you could just shoot the resulting data out over the serial port to an MT-32 or something.

I don't need to do that because this is based on http://wolf3dredux.sourceforge.net/ which includes a IMF to MIDI converter utility, these MIDI files will then need to be converted to MUS and Bob is your uncle, either that or just go from IMF to WAV (using Redux).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
Decided to spend a bit more time with this port recently, at this rate I may actually finish it ;)

Project status:

Graphics: 99%
Input: 80% (keyboard seems ok now, got to code up the mouse)
Menus:  60% (want to add customized controls)
Sound FX: 70% (missing some samples, also got to tidy it up a bit)
Music: 0% (I think this will be possible using MUS files)
Loading/Saving: 0% (haven't even looked)

[youtube]6C06IL5rJXU[/youtube][/QUOTE]

BTW, like my WorkBench?

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;743354
Disney Sound Source and, I believe, Covox Sound Thing.

The current plan is for this port to have MIDI playback using only the native chipset (asm MUS player from DOOM).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;743364
@ NovaCoder

looking sweet! what screen resolution are you running ?

Thanks I'm getting there, It's using the original DOS 320x200 screen mode.   I did try 320x240 but it doesn't really scale that well and in any case, if it's going to be built for 030 it will need to run at 320x200 for maximum speed.

I don't think there's a massive amount of work to do now, I think I'll be able to release something to the BETA testers in the next few weeks.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;743392
Just curious, if you're already doing MIDI playback would it be much trouble to have an option to send it over the serial port instead? It'd lighten the CPU load and allow for a significant increase in music quality.

Hiya,

Yes it would be less load on the CPU but I've never attempted to do that before, not sure how hard it would be for my brain.   The other problem is I can't test it as I don't have external MIDI hardware, can you do this in WinUAE?

To use the chipset to play MIDI is pretty easy because I can re-use the code I did from BOOM (my DOOM port).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:15:19 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 04:51:47 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;743413
What great work your doing, I love it.

I would like to donate some paypal funds and I think others should too...

Its a shame these things you've been porting didn't make it right to amiga at the time they were so hugely popular. I can't tell you how many amiga people I knew who switched to pc just for some of the stuff you've been porting lately.

Had these been available on amiga, well you never know...

Sad it took so long to get proper ports, but awesome to seem them running on amiga 1200. KEEP IT UP!

Thanks for the support,  I know a few people that have been inspired to upgrade to 060's to run some of my recent ports :)

I don't want to accept donations though as this would put pressure on me to finish stuff, this is just a part-time hobby for me.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 12:33:07 AM »
Project status:

Graphics: 100%
Input: 100% (now has WASD support)
Menus: 100%
Sound FX: 70% (missing some samples, also got to tidy it up a bit)
Music: 0% (I think this will be possible using MUS files)
Loading/Saving: 90% (config file is not saved on exit)

Slowly getting there, still lots to do though.

[youtube]5OLouMmVI1Y[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:01:11 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;745219
@NovaCoder

Are any of your ports playable on Jen's ACA 1232/33Mhz 128MB Accelerator ?

Or may on my
GVP-M Typhoon 030 40MHz w/64MB ram?

Hiya,

I normally code for 060 only these days because I've sold my 030.  

I think this Wolfenstein port is you best bet for 030.   You might also be able to use ScummVM AGA 030 for some games but it will be a little slow for later gamers (see my signature for links).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:35 PM »
I've been working on this port quite a bit recently and I'm getting very close to a release.

I've had a few people BETA testing it and it is playable on an 030 which is really good news :)

Not much to do now, I've still got to add music support and tidy some stuff up but it's basically complete.

I originally wanted to build a single exe that would support both the full and the demo versions of both Wolf and Spear but that doesn't look possible without a lot of work.   I'll probably just go with supporting the full retail versions only, with two different exe's (one for Spear and one for Wolf).

I was hoping this was only going to be a quick port but so far it has sucked up loads of my time!
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:43 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;747313
You gotta admit it though, the results are worth it! :)

Maybe, not sure :)

I want to finish this sucker so I can get on with something more interesting.

Anyway it will be good to FINALLY have a Wolfenstien port that supports both SFX and music on 68k Amiga using only the native chipset.....it's been a long time coming :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 04:16:08 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;747322
So I'm running an A1200 with a DKB 1240 (68030 @ 50MHz) and 16MB RAM with ClassicWB, and AmiWolf starts up fine and goes through the menu without issue - but when I start a new game, it displays the "Get Psyched!" loading screen, then goes black and seems to just hang; I left it sit for about fifteen minutes without it getting to the level...any ideas what I should try in order to pin this down? (I can't run it without the accelerator, as that has all the non-chip RAM - and it's not an unstable board anyway...)

Also, why's it run in interlaced mode? Wolfenstein's 320x200 is already supported by the Amiga...

Hiya,

It's very hard to debug it from over here :(

My best guess is that it's running out of memory, has anyone got it to run with only 16MB?

Did it create an ERROR.txt log in the game folder?

It just uses the standard PAL video mode (or NTSC if you specify it in the ToolTypes).   It actually asks AmigaOS for the best mode that matches 320x200x8bit, the screen mode is not hard-coded.

I'll have a look at the mouse sensitivity, thanks :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:22:36 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Sound and MIDI music (emulated) done, all good to go.

Will uploaded to AmiNet next week after I package it up :)

[youtube]OlQMFM_r1JY[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!