Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will the Amiga ever regain it's footing in games?  (Read 8156 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Re: Will the Amiga ever regain it
« on: December 01, 2002, 01:58:45 AM »

How many people do you know that run Windows "just for the games?"  

If I were an investor in AInc, you know what I would throw money into?  getting Team17 to start hacking away on a KILLER game.  Something that will look kick-ass on a Radeon 8500 or a Matrox Parhelia (these cards DO have untapped potential).  This game would ONLY be available on amiga, and it would make the gamer mags/sites drool.  

I dunno. To me the concept of 'killer game' sounds like 'killer application' which is a bit like the Holy Grail of any platform in existence. I also question your statement that the Radeon and the Matrox have untapped potential---untapped in the sense that modern games on other platforms don't draw it out. I can crank up screen resolution, object detail, environment physics and other things to such high levels that even the very heavy GeForce 4 in my PC begins to squirm.  

Back in 1989/1990, the hardware of the Amiga gave it an unprecedented cutting edge. If you wanted to do something special, chances were you could only do it (affordably) on the Amiga. That advantage is now lost. In other words, you shouldn't look for graphics or sound to make the killer game, unless it's something like a 3D-lasershow :-) . You need a marvellous new gaming concept---and that is very, very hard to find. And even then: if it is so innovative, it will be all over other platforms before you can blink. It's still a software concept, and there is no fundamental difference between an x86 and a PPC processor.

But one can still dream, of course ... ;-)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.