Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2000 green screen with kickstart, but ok with diagrom  (Read 1551 times)

Description:

Offline oggieTopic starter

• Show all replies
2000 green screen with kickstart, but ok with diagrom
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:30:42 PM »
Ok, I'll try my best to summarize:

Rev 4 2000 that had a bit of battery damage. However, I couldn't find any bad traces.
I replaced the cpu socket since it had a lot of green on it, but again, none of the traces or pads underneath it were destroyed, that I could find.

Initially, diagrom wouldn't show video, but worked over serial.  And it showed that all chipram was bad.  I built a 2mb chip ram upgrade (https://github.com/LIV2/A500-2Meg-Chip-ram) and decided to install that instead of trying to replace the 32 individual memory chips.

Once installed, I was then able to get video with diagrom, and it's able to see the 2mb chip memory and all tests for the chipmem pass.  I also used diagrom to test cia, audio, joystick ports and floppy ports.

I used a meter to test points between the rom, cpu and u540/u541 and agnus. I don't see any  bad connections. 

The moment I put a kickstart (3.1.4) in, I just get a dark green screen. 

Any ideas here? I'm at a loss.

• Show all replies
Re: 2000 green screen with kickstart, but ok with diagrom
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:06:08 PM »
1 - I've been told you don't need to remove original dram (the adapter board is supposed to disable on board), but was also told it's possible a bad chip is causing it. Yikes.
2 - I used a new socket
3,4,5 - I've already checked twice and found nothing. I'm know there still is something there, but I must be missing it.

• Show all replies
Re: 2000 green screen with kickstart, but ok with diagrom
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 12:00:32 PM »
well, I think I know what the problem is.  I used the rom found in amiga forever (logica-dialoga) and noticed that the clock was bouncing all over the place.  So I removed the RTC chip.

So I ended up doing the following:
- replaced cpu socket
- replaced rom socket
- bypassed bad chip ram with 2mb agnus upgrade
- removed rtc chip

I'm going to also put a socket in for the RTC and try a different chip to see if that was the problem. 

But I can now boot from floppy, so it's working.