Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yam vs Simplemail  (Read 486 times)

Description:

Offline matt3kTopic starter

Yam vs Simplemail
« on: May 17, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
Hi All,

I have been a Simplemail user for many years and am moving to Yam.

I have been testing both of the latest releases for some time and Simplemail was beginning to get very slow and unreliable.

I have many thousands of emails and Simplemail is much, much slower than Yam.  Simplemail has gotten into the nasty habit of corrupting the email/indexes and giving 8000004 errors when I closed the program.

Yam has been bulletproof and is 5 times faster than SM.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: Yam vs Simplemail
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
@ matt3k

sorry to hear that, I've been using SimpleMail for quite a while and never had the issues you're experiencing.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
@klx300r

same here. simplemail has been fairly rock-solid for me on my NG machines. i wonder if there is some difference between the AOS3 and AOS4 builds?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
I am a simplemail fan as well since 15 years and I dont have the problems you described, having also plenty of emails (more than 4'000).
it might help to delete the index files to get rid the corruption...

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:56:24 PM »
Quote from: matt3k;825870
Hi All,

I have been a Simplemail user for many years and am moving to Yam.

I have been testing both of the latest releases for some time and Simplemail was beginning to get very slow and unreliable.

I have many thousands of emails and Simplemail is much, much slower than Yam.  Simplemail has gotten into the nasty habit of corrupting the email/indexes and giving 8000004 errors when I closed the program.

Yam has been bulletproof and is 5 times faster than SM.

Isn't that same error code on exit the same problem that someone here had last week with another program, and it turned out to be a virus?

Offline matt3kTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the great idea of scanning for a virus.  Glad non to be found.  

I must have missed an index file.  I went back and deleted them all and now it is working again.  Thanks for the great advice!

I had a great run with Simplemail for over 10 years both on the classic and on MOS and then back on classic and I always preferred it to YAM.

Never was a big YAM fan, but I was learning to appreciate it.  Got to say that YAM  is much faster than Simplemail for large amounts of email though...

To bad the last update for YAM is so long ago, there is a bit of activity though, maybe a release is coming...

I also looked at using Stargate again.  That was a real nice email client I bought in Toronto from Danny, he was  a talented coder for sure.  It had some great features that I wish were in YAM/Simplemail.  Sadly it doesn't offer an app icon and hasn't been updated in many years...

I prefer the look and feel of Simplemail and the fact that it is updated annually, my only complaint is that it is slow and it seems to get corrupted indexes much easier than YAM.  That said, I'm going back to Simplemail.

Thanks again for the help!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:45:20 AM by matt3k »

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »
Quote from: matt3k;825893
Thanks for the great idea of scanning for a virus.  Glad non to be found.  

I must have missed an index file.  I went back and deleted them all and now it is working again.  Thanks for the great advice!

I had a great run with Simplemail for over 10 years both on the classic and on MOS and then back on classic and I always preferred it to YAM.

Never was a big YAM fan, but I was learning to appreciate it.  Got to say that YAM  is much faster than Simplemail for large amounts of email though...

To bad the last update for YAM is so long ago, there is a bit of activity though, maybe a release is coming...

I also looked at using Stargate again.  That was a real nice email client I bought in Toronto from Danny, he was  a talented coder for sure.  It had some great features that I wish were in YAM/Simplemail.  Sadly it doesn't offer an app icon and hasn't been updated in many years...

I prefer the look and feel of Simplemail and the fact that it is updated annually, my only complaint is that it is slow and it seems to get corrupted indexes much easier than YAM.  That said, I'm going back to Simplemail.

Thanks again for the help!

ah great you got it figured out and btw I did get that same error just a week or so ago and it was in fact a virus (http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72331 but never got it when using SimpleMail so didn't occur to me it was the same problem BUT always great idea to scan for viruses when miggy acting oddly anyhow
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: