Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Happy camper :)  (Read 318 times)

Description:

Offline tonyvdbTopic starter

Happy camper :)
« on: November 14, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
So long story short, my hard drive crashed on my a4000 meaning I lost everything that I have built up over the years. Sad as that may be I bought a new 4gb flash drive with the OS3.1 from Amigakit pre installed and that has gotten me back up and running.

Yesterday I remembered that I used to have a Cyberstorm PPC and that got me wondering if my SCSI drive that I had hooked up to it was still alive. I hooked that up to my SCSI controller that I still have laying around and low and behold there it was! almost all of my original files and games!

Lesson learned, I have made another backup of that drive and will keep it around just in case.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Happy camper :)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
Congrats!  One can never have too many backups.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
Glad that you were able to restore your info... a good reminder for all of us who have tons of stuff in HD... expecting it to never die...

Cheers,

Dragster
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 04:31:35 AM »
Keep that USB stick and B/U on a CD as well. Now 2 ways to get back!

Chris

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:31:31 AM »
@ tonyvdb

phew we've all been there brother & glad you made it out ok:)

nowadays I keep backups of my SYS: on a USB stick and also my reg keys etc.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
Glad you had a backup on the SCSI drive :)
10 years ago I had a backup machine and relied on a mirror raid setup with 20 drives to hold all my data, so held everything from all my source code from first demo ever to latest projects, images, video and well pretty much everything I ever had gathered was there.

Then the PSU went haywire and fried every single drive :( That was a devastating blow and I couldn't belive it, so much lost even if i had some on other drives and optic media it was a tough setback.

Lesson learned from that was to have more backups :) Today I have two backup machines, one for important personal projects/data and one holding everything from my retrogame collections (including backups of original media) to personal files.

I also backup every machine not just my Linux/windows machines but my alternate OS machines, retro computers etc

To keep somewhat safe if the house burns to the ground I have one machine inside the house (the small one) and the other inside my garage/workshop (really need to have it there anyways since rack mounted servers are so damn loud, also always colder there then inside so healthy for the server and hey Sweden has a lot of winder haha).

One system running mirror raid the big system running ZFS.

Also one of the servers works extra as my webserver/FTP.

Storing backups online is not possible really since im over 50TB heavy in data that I deem important nowdays and I don't like my files to be anywhere but in my own hands :)

I also have some really important files on hard drives that are not plugged in to anything.

One thing to think about when having backup servers is to write software/scripts that index drives in the network you want to have backed up to set date/time to backup new files/edited files to the backup server to save a lot of work (dont forget to keep logs).
Might be software out there that does this, haven't looked into it since my own solution works well enough.

Also if you have risk for power surges from thunderstorms you have to take that into account also, where I live our lines are underground so not airborn and closest point where a thunderstorm can hit is not really in range for me to be worried, but worth to take precations for if you are in the risk zone.

As allways when I get started I write way to much, sight... :)

Edit: My 1337th post :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:32:45 AM by som99 »