Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C64 stuff  (Read 4019 times)

Description:

Offline Sparky

• Show all replies
Re: C64 stuff
« on: November 05, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;798578
Thanks all. Can the 1541 Ultimate, Chameleon, or similar devices defeat copy protection? In other words, can I just connect my stock 1541 drive and back up my old commercial programs to .d64 files? I've seen other devices that allow you to connect a 1541 to a computer over USB or parallel, but you need to replace some chips or add new cables on the 1541 to bypass copy protection.

Or alternatively, is there a C64 equivalent repository to SPS that I can check to make sure *someone* has safely archived (stock versions of) all my old software?

Defeating most copy protection of original games is mostly a software thing, doesn't matter much about which cartridge you have, get a board with a network interface and you can warp backup disks over the network to your PC.

I have had a 1541U-I, good bit of kit, but Gideon basically dropped support for it when the 1541U-II was out.  I have a Chameleon now and it is awesome!  Lots of support and it can be a C64, Amiga, Spectrum, Amstrad, MSX, Atari and a bunch of other systems as well :-)

There are a few sites that have originals preserved, some let you download, some don't .. same goes for the manuals for games and software.  Sorry not got links to hand tight now, quick google will show all!