Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?  (Read 27512 times)

Description:

Offline Pentad

Re: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:08:43 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;770509
I thought that I read somewhere that emulating a PPC system on a x86 system would be unbearably slow?

That must have a been a loooong time ago.

I was running PearPC with OS X on my Windows notebook in 2005.  I used it until I bought a Macbook Pro in 2006.  Dolphin runs great in my MBP now (both in Windows and OS X).

Cheers!
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline Pentad

Re: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
Quote from: ddniUK;770913
I was wondering about MorphOS on WinUAE, then I read this.
http://powerup.morphos-team.net/terms.html

1. Every component of the  MorphOS PowerUP Free Edition may only be used on PowerPC accelerator  cards by phase5/DCE. Usage on any other hardware and/or inside of  emulation environments is strictly forbidden.

Is this limitation still valid?

Good luck enforcing that.  Apple tried that line as well and here in the US that is pretty hard to enforce.  If a person purchases a product say OS X or MorphOS they have broad freedom of where to run it.

If I buy MorphOS and decide to run in under WinUAE in the privacy of my home there isn't much that MorphOS can do about it.

The developers of MorphOS -if they were smart- would try to find a way to make money off of WinUAE users.

Adding protection and suing your customers never really works in situations like this.

WinUAE could actually increase MorphOS sales.  The last thing they want to do is piss off potential customers who will end up pirating the software out of want or spite.

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE