Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?  (Read 27508 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?
« on: August 07, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
When it comes to what Toni Wilen can accomplish, I guess we should get used to expecting the unexpected good results and faster than usual (specially compared to most Amiga projects) progress.

Toni, you are a Wizard!  Thanks for taking on this challenge and for all of the great work you have done to continue improvement on WinUAE.  I still remember the days when many Amiga users said that an accurate and useful emulation of the Amiga computer on any x86 computer was impossible, or would never happen.  Just like the many users who also stated that one programmer could not complete the design and coding of the MiniMig and a couple of other Amiga related projects that were thought impossible or improbable, before they became a reality.

Amiga users, hardware designers and programmers are amazing, which just proves the old saying "only Amiga makes it possible".

We still have an fantastic community of creative and smart people, even though we rarely agree on much of anything any more.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;770576
Honestly... I'd buy a copy also.

Do any of you really believe that Hyperion is going to allow AmigaOS4.x to run on any emulator (if they have any way to prevent it, technically, or legally)?  It does not seem to be aligned with their market philosophy.

Edit:  Has Toni actually stated that any part of his work to include PPC emulation within WinUAE is being provided with the intent that it may some day be able to run AmigaOS4.x?  Maybe he is doing it only to allow the very few Amiga PPC software titles that were written for AmigaOS3.x and the Phase5 Blizzard and Cyberstorm accelerators, excluding AmigaOS4.x?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:55:14 AM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
Quote from: Ancalimon;770626
Since everyone who has one of those ppc cards already have AmigaOS4, it would only allow Hyperion to sell more copies of AmigaOS4. So I think they should be paying Toni Wilen so that he can support the cards. :)

I don't disagree with your statement at all.  I think that Hyperion should take advantage of any chance they have to sell more copies and fund further development of AmigaOS4.x.  My question is "will they"?

Their past decisions make me question what they might do with this latest bit of coding work on WinUAE, and how they will react.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what Hyperion has to say about it, IF Toni is able to modify WinUAE to fully emulate those Phase5 boards.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:13:41 PM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:42:56 AM »
Quote from: Retrofan;771018
The beta 11 (that finally can run OS4.1 for example) has been released: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=970118&postcount=457

Remember this is Beta and it's "Just working" for the fist time.

Are you sure about your statement above?  

I read through the thread on EAB and all I could see is that one or two people got the AmigaOS4.x flash screen to show up for a few seconds, before the emulation crashed, froze up, or went black screen.  I have not read that anyone has gotten AmigaOS4.0, or 4.1 for Classic running on WinUAE yet, but maybe I need to read the thread again, or maybe someone just posted some new information today that I have not seen yet.

If you are not running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE yourself, please be careful not to spread false rumors.  I would hate to see several people go out and buy AmigaOS4.1 for Classic thinking that they are going to be able to run it on WinUAE, only to find out that it is not running yet, or worse that it might never be able to run completely bug free on WinUAE.  Not trying to dispute what you wrote, just saying that when I read that thread, I did not see any definite claims that AmigaOS4.x is now running completely on WinUAE.

I suggest caution and patience, until we have several confirmed reports from different people who have been successful in running AmigaOS4.1 for Classic on WinUAE.

Edit:  Well, I guess that thread is moving too fast for me.  Maybe some people are running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE.  Too much info for me to keep up with, since I am not really interested in running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE at this time.  Maybe in a year or two that will change, but for now, I think I will stick to using my X1000 for running AmigaOS4.x.  Forgive me for doubting your statement about anyone successfully running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE.  I still don't know how successful or how fast it is under emulation, but I imagine that if/when it becomes as fast, or faster than running in on a SAM system, then we will see more people using WinUAE to run AmigaOS4.x.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:52:12 AM by amigadave »