Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 MIDI?  (Read 5931 times)

Description:

Offline trilobyteTopic starter

• Show only replies by trilobyte
    • http://aaack.org
Amiga 1000 MIDI?
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »
Hi,

So I'd like to use MIDI on my A1000, but of course the port is a different gender from all other models.  It seems like using a gender changer and then using, say, an ECE MIDI interface doesn't do the trick, probably because the A1000's serial port also has a slightly different pinout from all other models...?  But I could be totally wrong here, just speaking from the experience of my own failed experiments.

So, to use MIDI with the A1000, do I have to use an interface specifically designed for the A1000?  and/or hack an interface, and/or build an interface (which I haven't got the skills to do)...?  Or should it actually be possible to use an interface from the later models, but through a gender changer (which I can't seem to get to work)?  My serial port /seems/ to work fine, as ATerm allows me to communicate with other computers.

Thanks
Amiga user since \'96, when I could finally afford one
Commodore 8-bit since before I could tie my shoes

Offline Paul

• Show only replies by Paul
Re: Amiga 1000 MIDI?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:18:40 PM »
I remember building a specially pinned out parallel/printer cable, but I seem to remember that the serial port was standard pinout. Maybe you could find schematics for the midi interface that was made to fit the 1000 by Commodore? (or am I mis-remembering a genlock/video interface?)

Paul
Proud Builder of Frankenthousand, the monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand - AmigaOne G4-XE, Catweasel, Radeon 9250, 2 GB, working MB sound, DMA and USB... now running OS4.1 update 3

Offline x303

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »
Well, there was a special version of A.M.A.S. for the A1000. Getting hold of it might be a bit difficult.

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »
Or should it actually be possible to use an interface from the later models, but through a gender changer (which I can't seem to get to work)?
The problem is missing +12 V power on pin 9. Most of MIDI interfaces are powered by this pin. Some older designs also use โ€“12 V on pin 10. Amiga 1000 has +12 V on pin 23 and does not provide โ€“12 V.

I could do modified version of my KA12 interface (modified PCB, male plug), but have no A1000 around to test... Alternatively it may be hacked by connecting pin 23 to pin 9 inside and using gender changer (KA12 does not need โ€“12 V).

The following users thanked this post: trilobyte