Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Issue with Softhut?  (Read 4446 times)

Description:

Offline dnelsonfl

• Show all replies
Re: Issue with Softhut?
« on: September 30, 2005, 04:07:00 AM »
I'm surprised to hear about the problems you are having with Software Hut. In my past dealings, they were very professional and helpful.

If I recall, you have 3.1 roms and this is the A3640 rev 3.0 that was reworked to be a 3.1, right? It should work just fine, even with static zip ram. What Argus said is right on the money. The combination of 2.x roms, ramsey 4, 68040, and zip ram had problems. 3.1 doesn't.

You *might* have a problem with the dmac 2, depending on the revision of your motherboard. Later dmac 2's seem to be more tolerant of the a3640, so if you suspect the dmac 2 you might just try another. Getting a better revision, like dmac 4, is very good advise, but Software Hut should know better. They're not available. Period. Otherwise we'd have all done that by now.

You might be able to use dmac 2 and ramsey 7 together, and not have any problems. Upgrading to the rev 8 SCSI chip is also a very good idea. I hope it arrives for you. I'm running a 3000D with a3640 rev 3.1, dmac 2, ramsey 7, buster 11, scsi 8, 3.1 roms and zip ram. I haven't had any problems. So it can be done.

Oh something just occurred to me -- if you're emailing from a PC, have you checked your Spam folder? On mine, using Norton, it put some emails from Software Hut and AmigaKit and a bunch of others in Spam for some reason. I had to add them to my whitelist for it to let them into my inbox.

Didn't you mention one of the capacitors on the a3640 wasn't put in right? I can understand wanting to return it and get one that was done right. But I'd want to make sure I had a return authorization. So try emailing and maybe give them a call.

-David

Offline dnelsonfl

• Show all replies
Re: Issue with Softhut?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:03:30 PM »
@lemming,

Rather than letting your Amiga sit around unused, have you considered ordering from one of the European distributors such as Versales or AmigaKit? Sometimes the shipping isn't too much, and the prices seem competitive to Software Hut's.

-David