Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remote assistance  (Read 1562 times)

Description:

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Remote assistance
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 06, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »
however the despro I have got, has no such partion, and there is nothing in the bios that should be upsetting win2kpro, I have looked throughly.

I find it strange, cause when I had the machine it had nt4 workstation on it, so i tohught great, ill wipe this and just stick win2k on it, no dice.

There was a certain type of early power-management that would upset Win2k badly enough that it wouldn't install cleanly.  Forget which it was.  I remember I had to apply a BIOS update to my old P1 and then disable all power management features.  (I don't remember if the BIOS update was for the power-management or to enable larger HDs, though!)

Also, a faulty CD ROM drive will cause Win2k to install corrupt.  (Seems it doesn't actually check the integrity of the files as it is copying them to the HD)  I spent a couple hours chasing that problem, once, as well.  ;-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 08:40:27 PM »
If I were to install another OS on the HD, something like Linux or whatever and it installs it's own bootmanager, would that clash with the Compaq BIOS prog?

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 08:51:08 PM »
TightVNC  ( I haven't used this, just came accross it).
Free
http://www.tightvnc.com

The programmers at TightVNC have leveraged the work of AT&T into a revved-up version of VNC. Thanks to the hard work of Constantin Kaplinsky, TightVNC performs significantly faster than both the original VNC and pcAnywhere. TightVNC maintains compatibility with the original VNC and continues its emphasis on platform independence.Here
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 08:52:03 PM »
If I were to install another OS on the HD, something like Linux or whatever and it installs it's own bootmanager, would that clash with the Compaq BIOS prog?

I think you should be ok, so long as you do a manual partitioning and make sure that the partition remains marked as in-use in whatever partitioning program you use.  I don't recall having problems when going from the 98 bootloader to NT4 on a Compaq like that.  I don't think I tried Linux on one, though.  (Last time I used a Compaq of that style was at a job I was working several years ago.)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 08:54:38 PM »
@lo
Ah interesting, I wasn't aware of other versions.

@ilwrath
Okay, I'll have a muck about with that machine in a few weeks I think.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2004, 09:42:30 PM »
cheers for your help guys.

I havn`t started a thread that has had more than two answers since the good old days, when me, whabang and  redrumloa used to have epic political discussuions.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"