Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remote assistance  (Read 1572 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Remote assistance
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:03:09 PM »
Here is my problem, that I know some helpful sole on here will have the answer for.

I have a winxp pro machine connected to machine running win98se.

I have th win98se coonected permantley to my broadband connection.

As I dont need to use the win98se machine, it is just the box, no keybaord , mouse or monitor attached.

Fow whatever reason every now and then, i loose my connection and have to f around plugging a monitor, keybaord and mouse into it to sort it out.

I dont want the expense of buting a switcher box for this purpose.

So the crux of my question, does anyone know of any free/trial software so that I can take over the win98 box from my xp machine, so i can see the screen move the mouse etc.

cheers for your help

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: Remote assistance
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 08:11:05 PM »
Yup...check VNC. But why in the name of all holy deities would you want to use a cruddy Win98 box as router/server??!

Wouldn't you be better of using a prebuilt/out of the box linux or bsd router solution? More stable, helluva lot more secure...

BTW. VNC isn't secure by itself, but you can make it secure by using an SSH remote shell server on your routerbox. That would also make secure/encrypted connections to your WinXP box possible (even though it's behind a router, SSH does TCP/IP tunneling).

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 08:14:10 PM »
I use VNC.

Real VNC Website

It's a free (as in speech) software, and there are both clients and servers available on many platforms.  I've actually controlled windows servers from my Amiga using this.

Really, though, you should probably consider updating the Win98 machine to 2k (or NT4 if it's really old).  Both have similiar base system requirements to 98se, and are MUCH more stable for things that aren't games.  That way, you'll have to mess around with it much less.  Last time I rebooted my Win2k server was after a power failure.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 08:14:45 PM »
I had an old compaq deskpro pentium 2 hanging around, thought i would save money and use that, got zonealarm running on my xp machine then.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 08:16:18 PM »
Hmm... odin beat me to it.  ;-)  

I would also agree with him in saying that Linux or BSD would even be a better choice than 98 for that router box if you want to do a little reading into how to set it up.  

And you can use VNC on any of it.  :-)

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 08:16:26 PM »
i tried this, but retail versions of windows are funny about compaq machines for some reason.

I can install win98 and before, but not xp, 2000, 2003 server or windows 2000 server on it, it comes up with error codes at the beggining of install

Offline odin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 08:20:07 PM »
Hm...weird. I just acquired a cruddy old PentiumPro 200 Compaq box with NT4 installed. I installed Win95 temporarily due to the fact that I didn't have a Win2k CD handy (I'm interested to see how slow W2k would be on that box :-)). W95 installed nicely tho on it.

It appeared to me that the BIOS settings program is loaded of a small dedicated partition on the HD. Pretty weird.

Anyhoo....lose W98 as a router OS :-).

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 08:20:26 PM »
why the flip would you use zonealarm on your xp machine if xp has it's own built in dynamic firewall (unless it's like zonealarm premium or somthing)  :-?

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 08:22:20 PM »
becuase the firewall in windows xp aint as good as zonelaram

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 08:23:08 PM »

JJ wrote:
I can install win98 and before, but not xp, 2000, 2003 server or windows 2000 server on it, it comes up with error codes at the beggining of install
Could be BIOS settings. Set everything to fail-safe settings and not optimum or high-perf pre-sets. just a thought, but XP is more picky about the hardware that it runs on. If things are overclocked and timings off, you may be able to get away with it on Win98 but not with WinXP.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 08:23:44 PM »
It appeared to me that the BIOS settings program is loaded of a small dedicated partition on the HD. Pretty weird.

Yes, they do.  You can download a program from Compaq (called, cutely enough, a ROMPAQ) to re-install this partition.

Not that I've learned this from experience.  (Whistles innocently)

As for performance, it should be fine.  I actually have a P1- 133mhz w/ 64mb RAM that I use as test Win2k server.  Amazingly, for a single user, it is able to click along ok.  No speed demon, but it works for very light tests.

Offline odin

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 08:27:10 PM »
@ilwrath:
:-D So I shouldn't fdisk that HD then :-). Do Compaq's usually have flashable ROMs btw?

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 08:34:13 PM »
I found this to be the case with an old compaq 484 laptop  I used to have till somebody stole it( there was a partion on the HD to run the bios setup prog.  It was all like gui driven, was pretty cool.

I formated the drive and lost this, had to use a prog as said on this thread to put it back

however the despro I have got, has no such partion, and there is nothing in the bios that should be upsetting win2kpro, I have looked throughly.

I find it strange, cause when I had the machine it had nt4 workstation on it, so i tohught great, ill wipe this and just stick win2k on it, no dice.

Btw thanks for the vnc info, works a treat :)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 08:34:34 PM »
:-D So I shouldn't fdisk that HD then

You should be able to fdisk or whatever.  Just dont de-allocate that small partition, though, unless you have the disk(s) to re-install it.

Do Compaq's usually have flashable ROMs btw?

Most seem to, in some form, or another.  Some appear to just load the updates to the HD partition, and don't really flash anything, but there's usually some way to update.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »
however the despro I have got, has no such partion, and there is nothing in the bios that should be upsetting win2kpro, I have looked throughly.

I find it strange, cause when I had the machine it had nt4 workstation on it, so i tohught great, ill wipe this and just stick win2k on it, no dice.

There was a certain type of early power-management that would upset Win2k badly enough that it wouldn't install cleanly.  Forget which it was.  I remember I had to apply a BIOS update to my old P1 and then disable all power management features.  (I don't remember if the BIOS update was for the power-management or to enable larger HDs, though!)

Also, a faulty CD ROM drive will cause Win2k to install corrupt.  (Seems it doesn't actually check the integrity of the files as it is copying them to the HD)  I spent a couple hours chasing that problem, once, as well.  ;-)