Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000 RAM not recognized  (Read 2126 times)

Description:

Offline koshmanTopic starter

• Show all replies
A4000 RAM not recognized
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:40:22 PM »
Hi,

I'm having a pretty weird issue with an A4000.
She's been sitting in a closet for the last 2 years and as there is no chance I will be able to use her anytime soon I decided to take her out for a test and put up for sale.
Another thing I needed to do was test the Picasso IV I bought some years ago to use in the A4000 but never got around to setting it up.

After some attempts I was able to make the Picasso work in the 2nd slot from the bottom in 640x480 and 1024x768 resolutions and happily went to bed. The next morning I fired her up just to confirm and she wouldn't boot. After some fumbling around with no results I took the Picasso out and later got her to boot showing 1MB of Chip RAM.

The A4000 is fully populated with 2MB Chip and 16MB Fast and I could swear it was reporting all of the RAM correctly the day before. Now not only is no Fast RAM showing up but only half of the Chip RAM?!? I've seen people having issues with the Fast RAM before but the Chip RAM issue I don't recall ever seeing...
Of course I tried mixing the SIMMs and also tested a few other ones I had lying around.

I fear I must have damaged something while playing with the Picasso, Zorro slots are certainly no ZIFs and I may have been too rough...

I'll be very thankful for any ideas.

EDIT: I probably should have added some details about the config: Mobo is recapped with the RAM slots exchanged for metal ones, coin battery mod, KS ROM 3.1.4, A3640 3.2 recapped as well. I have the problem when booting off a CF HDD and also when booting a stock Install 3.1.4 ADF from a Gotek drive.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:47:04 PM by koshman »
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

• Show all replies
Re: A4000 RAM not recognized
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 03:15:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for your help so far!

I can confirm I have Rev.B motherboard so it has 5 SIMM sockets including one for Chip RAM. Also all of the SIMMs I have here are single sided.
I'm going to be testing all the SIMMs I have in the Chip RAM socket to see if any of them reports full 2MB.
When you say add them from the top you mean start with Bank 0 - the Fast RAM socket closest to the Chip RAM socket?
- Radim

• Show all replies
Re: A4000 RAM not recognized
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
The thing is these SIMMs were working in the A4000 in this config for years including a single sided SIMM for Chip RAM...

Anyway unfortunately after testing her further I'm now unable to even boot her up... Behaves like there's no CPU card....

I'm currently looking for a repair guy locally rather than risk damaging her in my clumsy attempts at revival... Have some tips for reliable guys already so hopefully she'll be up and running in no time.

In any case thanks for the tips :)
- Radim