Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS on x86???  (Read 13619 times)

Description:

Offline mschulz

Re: MorphOS on x86???
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »

ferrellsl wrote:
The enitre argument that endian-ness is the reason that MorphOS will never be ported to x86 is ridiculous.

It's not. The community would expect that you are able to run all your existing m68k and ppc software on such x86 MOS. With MOS (and AmigaOS in general) design it is not feasible. Don't use Rosetta of OSX as an example because it's wrong one. Small example: on OSX a process has a PID assigned - unique identifier. If you will call FindTask(NULL) MOS and/or AmigaOS, you will receive a pointer to the struct Task, the very same structure MOS is using internally. Try to deal with it and find a sane solution for Little-endian system (with little-endian layout of all system structures) and big-endian software running on emulated PPC and using the very same little-endian layouted system structures (the software would expect them to be big endian though).

Several operating systems have made the leap to x86 without any problems whatsoever. OSX is one example.

OSX is an example of an operating system which separates userland from kernel space. On MOS they are basically the same.

Even Windows NT went the opposite direction and was ported to PPC many years ago.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but PPC NT was running PowerPC cpu in little endian mode.

and from another message:

I'm tired of arm-chair experts who constantly sound like parrots and repeat the same old garbage that endian-ness is what is keeping MorphOS from being ported to x86.

Prove they are wrong then. No, giving an example is not enough. Prove them, that you may do such transition with Amiga-like operating system.

If it's such a problem, then how did the AROS team port it to PPC?

Simply. We didn't cared about the binary compatibility. Therefore, you are not able to run x86 AROS software on PPC AROS and vice versa. Keep in mind however, that if the amiga community wants MOS or OS4 on x86, they will demand to be able to run m68k and/or PPC software through a built-in transpared emulator integrated tightly into the system. That's the point. I, an AROS developer, don't care about it actually, but most people here do care.

And of course it means the applications need to be recompiled for the target OS unless you use something like Rosetta or Wine or DOSBox. Nobody is/was arguing this point,

You seem to be new here :)). Most people in Amiga community want it. The people here don't care x86 unless you would be able to run original m68k and ppc software on x86 without recompilation. Not to mention they will be very unhappy if you would suggest running such old m68k software on x86 MOS through UAE. They would likely hate you for having such crazy idea ;)

If they would never mind it, they would support projects like AROS with pleasure. But no, most people expect AROS developers to make the integrated m68k emu for AROS.

Offline mschulz

Re: MorphOS on x86???
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:22:11 AM »

ferrellsl wrote:
Uhhhh, sorry to inform you, but it has ALREADY been proven.......look at all the operating systems out there that have been ported to different architectures, both PPC and x86, such as Yellow Dog Linux (x86 and PPC), OS X (x86 and PPC), Windows NT (PPC and x86). Are you saying that they weren't ported?  I bet you think the lunar landings were faked too!  I never said that the ports didn't suffer from a lack of support or software.

Have you really read what I wrote? Please, do it carefully again. I know software would suffer because of porting. I wrote you, however, what the community here would demand if MOS would ever be ported to x86. Did you read that part of my reply? It seems you didn't.

Please note that I am not a native English speaker. If you didn't understand some part of my reply due to my poor language skills, ask.

Before you start insulting me again a small hint: I'm the one who made AROS boot natively on x86 for the first time. I have ported AROS to x86_64 and sam440 (it's PPC) too and now I am porting AROS to efika. I guess I know how to port AROS to different architectures with different endianess. I bet I have more knowledge about porting an operating system to different architectures than you.