Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC Graphics Card Hack  (Read 966 times)

Description:

Offline DrDekkerTopic starter

• Show only replies by DrDekker
PC Graphics Card Hack
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
Has anyone ever attempted to create a scandoubler by hacking a PC graphics card with SVHS input?

I recently picked up a (working) MX480, 64Mb, 8xAGP card with SVHS for a quid at a carboot.

This got me wondering if it would be possible to get a vga output simply by powering up the card and connecting it up to my old CD32.  I'm sure there'll be a fair bit more to it than that to get a decent display - but is it feasible?

A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline spirantho

Re: PC Graphics Card Hack
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:06:09 PM »
Are you sure that's an input? Almost all SVHS jacks on SVGA cards are output so you can connect your PC to a telly. If it's really an input it should have a Bt878 or CX23882 chip on it somewhere.

And no, it's not trivial to do. Sorry. :)
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:04 PM »
Yes - it's actually VI/VO.  I've also got a few more boards including an analogue TV PCI and a digital TV PCI - all with SVHS in.  But I'm not going to hack any of those as they cost me money.

I'll take a butcher's and check for those chips.

I thought it might not be that easy - but had hoped that a basic vga output might be a possibility without software. :-(
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
Sorry to inform: you cannot put a card like that "just behind" your CD32 to work alone.

These type of cards needs:
- power supply (on several pins);
- EXTERNAL CLOCK lines;
- Drivers and even some programs in order to run.

Best way is put the card into a peecee, install the needed drivers and use it like a regular scandoubler/flickerfixer.

BTW: If you got a Mediator, there are some Voodoo cards with VI/VO plugs on!
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
Thanks for that rkauer!

What I thought was that if it were possible, then I'd make a SVHS adapter for my A1200, then connect that to the video card to drive my TFT.

At the moment I connect my A1200 using the composite on my PC's digital TV card.  The results aren't that brilliant of course - perhaps I should make a composite-to-SVHS adapter instead?

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:17:26 PM »
You can get some scandoublers as cheap as $50 but they are only 16-bit

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:41:48 PM »
DrDekker wrote:

At the moment I connect my A1200 using the composite on my PC's digital TV card.  The results aren't that brilliant of course - perhaps I should make a composite-to-SVHS adapter instead?

The screwed composite signal won't get any better when converted to super video - better convert directly from RGB to svideo; I've used a cheaply bought Hama genlock and the picture was quite good (not as good as RGB though).