Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opening programs in the right place?  (Read 1116 times)

Description:

Offline bradhansen1Topic starter

• Show only replies by bradhansen1
Opening programs in the right place?
« on: October 29, 2021, 10:56:08 PM »
Hi All, I would like to know how to open a program that starts at a requester window and be in the place I
need it to be. For example, my display programs, how can I open them so the requester window opens in
the right directory, in this case my "Amiga Art" folder? Is there a way to set the program so it opens where
I need it to be instead of have to click through a bunch of folders to get to the one I want?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Brad Hansen

Offline Joloo

Re: Opening programs in the right place?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 07:24:38 AM »
Do you are the author of those display programs you mentioned or do you use third party application programs?
Next, do you launch these programs from Workbench or just double click on an "Amiga Art" icon or do you use the command line interface?
The next question I have; for which version of the operating system you need it and last not least, where do these display programs resides in ( "C:", "SYS:", "Amiga Art" or any other drawer? (Windows - folder, Amiga - drawer :-) SCNR ) ).

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 04:30:10 PM »
Generally speaking, I don’t believe there’s a system-wide way to set this. It’s per program. Some will allow you to set the default directory through a settings window, others will set it via tooltype or ENV var, and others won’t allow you to change the default at all.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 04:44:58 PM »
it depends on how the viewer gets started.
From Shell you would

Code: [Select]
CD Work:Arts/Pictures/
RUN sys:Utilities/Multiview

For example.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 08:33:17 PM »
Hi, No not the author, third party apps,VT, Visage. Since I use both programs I do not set tool types in the images themselves.
I launch everything from the Workbench. Running OS 3.2. on an Amiga 1200 "Work:Amiga Art."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:34:13 PM by bradhansen1@cox.net »

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 08:35:09 PM »
TribbleSmasher, thanks for the info.
Brad Hansen

Offline nbache

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 09:48:35 PM »
Maybe you could put a couple of small scripts at the root of your art dir which launches each of your preferred viewers. They should probably only contain the one line which RUNs (or WBRuns, if you prefer) the viewer with its full path, similar to TribbleSmasher's suggestion. Then give them each an icon set to start from Shell.

Not sure which OS version we're dealing with, but I think something like that would work at least back to 2.1 or thereabout.

Best regards,

Niels