Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiDVD feature requests  (Read 7182 times)

Description:

Offline SpektroTopic starter

AmiDVD feature requests
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:18:46 AM »
Hi,
I'm proposing the following two new features to AmiDVD:

Empty images
Possibility to create an empty image (image size is selectable) which is not write protected, i.e. you can write to the mounted volume.

Drag and drop image creation
If you drop a drawer or a disk to the AmiDVD window, the following fields will be filled for you: "Create image/Source" and "Create image/Volumename".

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: AmiDVD feature requests
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
Empty images
Possibility to create an empty image (image size is selectable) which is not write protected, i.e. you can write to the mounted volume.

This is impossible. You can not edit iso images in the normal way you would a HDD.
I have searched and searched, never could find a solution. As recreating images was a pain, if you only wanted to add 1 file.

Drag and drop image creation
If you drop a drawer or a disk to the AmiDVD window, the following fields will be filled for you: "Create image/Source" and "Create image/Volumename".

Now, that would be a nice feature.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 04:48:40 AM »
Empty images

This is impossible. You can not edit iso images in the normal way you would a HDD.
I have searched and searched, never could find a solution. As recreating images was a pain, if you only wanted to add 1 file.

Ok. What I'd like to do is to collect the image content from several sources: from different volumes and different directory trees.

Your single source approach is nice and simple and I like it. To make things even more simpler, you could drop the image content listing and the Remove button from the GUI. I find them unnecessary but I understand why some people would like to have them.

I proposed the writable empty image because it would be a more user friendly solution than creating complete image content editing functions (content listing and Add and Remove buttons) in the GUI. But this is just my opinion  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:54:36 AM by Spektro »

Offline nbache

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »
@Spektro:

The way I understand you, what you probably really want is not for the actual ISO image to be editable, but to be able to select more than one directory (tree) to be included when the image is created - right?

This could conceptually be done by having the "Source" button act as "Add source" instead of "Replace source", like it does now. IOW, if you select one source tree first, it is displayed in the content pane. Then you could hit "Add Source" again, and the new selection would be added to the contents. Once you were done, you would "Create image", and from then on, you couldn't change anything in the image.

Some thinking would have to be done about defining the top level directory of the image; it may be necessary to have the user define one directory to create at the root of the image, so the various selections could live within that, otherwise you would risk merging directories with the same name from different sources.

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:24:44 AM »
@Spektro:

The way I understand you, what you probably really want is not for the actual ISO image to be editable, but to be able to select more than one directory (tree) to be included when the image is created - right?
Yes, to be able to select content from more than one directory was the prompting idea. And my favourite solution to achieve that was a writable ISO image, which turned out to be impossible :)

Quote from: nbache
This could conceptually be done by having the "Source" button act as "Add source" instead of "Replace source", like it does now. IOW, if you select one source tree first, it is displayed in the content pane. Then you could hit "Add Source" again, and the new selection would be added to the contents. Once you were done, you would "Create image", and from then on, you couldn't change anything in the image.

Some thinking would have to be done about defining the top level directory of the image; it may be necessary to have the user define one directory to create at the root of the image, so the various selections could live within that, otherwise you would risk merging directories with the same name from different sources.

That's one solution for sure.

There is of course a simple alternative for the freely selectable image content: copy all the files you want to include in the image in one directory first and then create an image from that directory. I would settle for that if the alternative means a more complex GUI.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:42:57 AM by Spektro »

Offline nbache

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »
There is of course a simple alternative for the freely selectable image content: copy all the files you want to include in the image in one directory first and then create an image from that directory.
Yes, if you have plenty of diskspace and don't mind waiting for the copy. Indeed, it is what I often do myself in such situations.

I would settle for that if the alternative means a more complex GUI.
My idea wouldn't make the GUI more complex, the Source button is still the same, just with a slightly changed behaviour (and possibly the label "Add source"). Of course it means the Remove button is still needed.

Best regards,

Niels