Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 65017 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;577567
Now there's a couple of good questions. I've been trying to think of them myself without getting blindsided by my own sentiment.
First, no the company does not have a lot of employees (but then neither does A-eon). Altman's other business does have a large warehouse, office space, and employees to help move stock.
At this point, I don't think he needs that many people.
He is interested in AROS, and must have tried it since he mentioned that sound doesn't work properly on his current system.
He also asked my how long I thought it would take to get AROS up to the level where it could be sold in a commercial product. That question's difficult to answer. I'm not comfortable with the idea, since I feel that selling AROS in its current state might lead to product returns.
Altman does seem interested in seeing AROS move forward. I think he's a little  wary since he approached one developer about the sound drivers and was quoted a pretty large sum.
But if whomever is in charge in the AROS project were to contact him, they could probably establish a relationship.

Now, as to the one post that stated that Winboxes could do want they wanted. If you can't do it under Windows, what platform can you do it under? And what is IT?

Actually that recount of the sound driver debacle reads more like a cleaned up version of events. Firstly they where asked something like $1500 (I cant recall exact figure) for uncompromised use of the drivers. Seems kinda reasonable to me for something to be used in a commercial product. From here there was a lot of ridiculous behavior and complaints (which seems stupid to me,... in business if you want something its reasonable you pay a small fee for rights to use it). Prior to this ClusterUK (the man who actually *did* pay to have them created) had kept them exclusive to iMica for commercial purposes with the exception (unless Im mistaken) of Aresones, and phoenixkonsole also contributed money to use them there. After C-USA carried on like pork chops over it for a while ClusterUK realised nothing was to become of it so instead offered them up to the community for a sum. Ironically despite complaining about haveing to pay the initial amount they ended up contributing *nothing* when they had the opportunity to use the drivers for much cheaper and instead the community paid for them.

Not hugely important, but I couldnt help but to tell the story as it actually was, not the after-the-fact re-telling.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.