Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: 4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards  (Read 253 times)

Offline videofx

4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards
« on: April 24, 2020, 06:14:49 PM »
Anyone have their flyer running with CF or SD cards?

If so please let me what you are using

Thanks!

Offline Matt_H

Re: 4000T Flyer with CF or SD cards
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »
I remember Pyromania talking about this some years back. He'd be the one to know.

Broadly, though, I think there's 3 options:
-One of the traditional ACard adapters.
-A rev 5 SCSI2SD
-A rev 6 SCSI2SD

I suspect the rev 5 SCSI2SD would be too slow.

Offline Pgovotsos

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 07:31:32 PM »
Both versions of SCSI2SD are way too slow. You need at least 4.5 Mb/s for HQ5 and they are much slower. The Acard SCSI2 to IDE adapter, IDE to CF adapter, and CF card works very well. Instead of the small cards dangling on cables in the case I use the one that is built into a 3.5" drive frame. There are plenty of bays to mount 3 of them for front access which is convenient to swap cards without having to open the case.

You don't need huge cards. 32GB cards for the video "drives" will give you several hours. The audio "drive" can be much smaller since the files are so much smaller than the video.

I have only used the PATA versions of the cards. I'm not sure if the newer types work with these simple adapters or not - never tried it. I discovered that P2 cards work well too when I had one lying around and tried it.

Compact flash cards would be better than SD cards for this application. There can be so much rewriting over time and CF cards handle it better.

Offline F1Lupo

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »
@ Pgovotsos
I can confirm that the scsi2sd board at least version I have (red board) from few years ago is quite slow in my CS-MKII controller which powered my original SCSI drivesd at lightning fast speed only gives me 1.22 MB/s with the my scs2sd board. For less heat/noise/space in your big box Amiga I would recommend the scs2sd as its been reliable for me but don't get one if speed is main concern for you.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: