Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: I've sourced a PowerMac G4...  (Read 211 times)

Offline AndyFC

I've sourced a PowerMac G4...
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
Hi all,

I'm hopefully picking up a PowerMac G4 867 MDD this weekend which was advertise cheaply locally. No HDD or optical drive but I have plenty of those. The seller says he has a Radeon card separate which I can also have (this model comes with an Nvidia Card as standard). I'm planning to try it out with both MacOS Tiger and MorphOS.

I know that Nvidia cards aren't supported in MorphOS, but I'm interested to know what happens. Will I get a blank screen, an error, or a low-res image in software mode (similar to booting a Windows PC which doesn't have a working graphics driver)?

Thanks.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.0 ROMS (but 3.1 in RAM), 3.5" HD, CD Rom and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PrGdL6XjmE

Offline AndyFC

Re: I've sourced a PowerMac G4...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »
I picked this up this morning:

• 2x PowerMac G4 - an 867 DP (really clean)
  • A 1Ghz DP (clearly been in a smoker's home and I've started cleaning it). Only the 1Ghz machine starts up and boots to MacOS
  • A random motherboard which I THINK is a G3, loaded with random cards which are to be identified - more photos another time

The G4s both have NVidia cards but the spare motherboard had a ATI card - I've swapped it into the working G4.

I can't get the CD drive to detect a disk so can't yet boot to anything other than MacOS, but I have a disc burned with MorphOS ready and waiting - the HD contains OS X 10.2.6.

All for £40!
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.0 ROMS (but 3.1 in RAM), 3.5" HD, CD Rom and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PrGdL6XjmE

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: I've sourced a PowerMac G4...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:19:46 PM »
This is a real bargain. The MDD case itself is a beauty for any modding endeavour; try to put a modern Mac Mini into it. That would people gasp....