Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Specific questions regarding Tabor/A1222 hardware  (Read 888 times)

Offline tiffers

Specific questions regarding Tabor/A1222 hardware
« on: July 21, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »
Hello all,

I've got some questions regarding Tabor hardware compatibility, and I haven't been able to find conclusive answers anywhere, so here I am asking, especially to any Beta Testers, or A-Eon/AmigaKit directly. I'm finding that trawling through the related discussion threads with heated arguments (as is so common) just makes it impossible to get good straight technical information.

And emailing A-Eon directly and a beta tester here in Australia via his blog have resulted in no replies.

---- Quote ----
I'm looking to begin getting parts together for a Tabor system, so when the board comes out, I just have the 'small' expense of the board alone.

I'm having some issues on picking suitable hardware though, because the published specs leave some questions unanswered.

I was wondering if you'd be able to shed some light on a few questions?

The RAM is listed as DDR3 400MHz. Do I understand that this is the interface speed and suitable RAM is usually advertised as 800MHz, or PC3-6400? How well will faster RAM work in the slot? I have access to PC3-8500, PC3-10200/10600 and PC3-12800. Will these all work ok?

Also some SODIMMs have an L in their 'name' like PC3L-10200. Is this a lower voltage SODIMM, and if so, are these suitable? Which voltage does Tabor support/expect? I have read some SODIMMs can be dual voltage 1.35/1.5v.

How many SODIMM slots are there? It's hard to tell from photos, but I assume only one. Is this correct? If so, I haven't been able to find 8GB SODIMMs at that speed/rating (800MHz / PC-6400), hence my question about higher speed RAM.

Is the MicroSD for UBoot supplied with the board? If so, what size will be shipped? Is the MicroSD a consumer card or an industrial card? Is the Tabor board compatible with industrial cards? I'd like to consider having an industrial card for longevity of the stored data, so long term the board stays functional (a working Tabor board 30 years later could still be cool). Will end users be able to obtain the UBoot image to write to their own cards (like an industrial card)?

Is the on-die SATA controller capable of interfacing with an SSD drive? Is there Trim support in firmware, or is there a recommended SSD to use for Amiga OS4.x? (I have read that no Trim support exists in AmigaOS 4.x)

What is the max sized drives the on-die SATA controller can address? What is the max size boot 'partition' AmigaOS 4.x supports?

Is the 'internal' USB header v1.x or v2.x generation? Is there just the one? I assume this would be the case, as stated specs are 2 internal ports, which is usually one 9-pin (technically 10-1) header.

I assume a licensed copy of AmigaOS 4.1 FE will be included with the board. Does this include an installer medium, and if so, what will the medium be? Will a Linux distro also or optionally be included? And again, which medium?

Would a 450w PSU be sufficient for a Tabor with 8GB SODIMM (PC3-12800), an SSD, a DVD-RW, an internal card reader (powered by/running off the internal USB header) and a Radeon RX480 (for example)?

---- End ----

Thanks,

Edit: Clarification/spelling/grammar.

tiffers
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:55:12 PM by tiffers »
Amiga FTW!

Offline outlawal2

Re: Specific questions regarding Tabor/A1222 hardware
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:13:11 PM »
These are all great questions...

I am concerned if we will ever see the Tabor in the wild at all considering all of the legal issues currently going on.
Anyone have any info at all regarding the Tabor and whether it has been killed or not?

Offline number6

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
These are all great questions...

I am concerned if we will ever see the Tabor in the wild at all considering all of the legal issues currently going on.
Anyone have any info at all regarding the Tabor and whether it has been killed or not?

maybe some info coming here

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:18:24 PM »
Thanks for that!
Will check back in August..

Offline tiffers

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »
All "AmigaOS 4.x" references are meant to be AmigaOS 4.1FE Update 1 (or whichever version ships with the board)
Amiga FTW!

Offline tiffers

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »
Does anyone have any links to info from this event (if any has made it online yet)?
Amiga FTW!