Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best way to ensure DD floppies survive another 20 years  (Read 756 times)

Description:

Offline XnyleTopic starter

• Show only replies by Xnyle
Re: Best way to ensure DD floppies survive another 20 years
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 11, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »
@Thorham thx, already found that solution, but it's just not the same.

If I go down that road, why not just dump the whola Amiga, buy a RPI und flash Retropie. Because it's not he same. Retro should include floppies ;-)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »
Quote from: Xnyle;809874
Retro should include floppies ;-)
I'm exactly the opposite. My Amiga 1200 doesn't even have a floppy drive anymore :lol:

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
Somehow new floppies were found for new workbench disks. Maybe we can talk them into finding more and selling at AmigaKit!

Offline paul1981

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;809846
I think your not knowing what he's talking about. The bags he refers to are already sealed, no elastic needed. The elastic just bunches the disks upright. No air to get in and turn them into goo!

Nice idea actually.

Chris

LOL I read it as freezer bags. Yes, I have no idea! :laugh1:

Offline paul1981

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
@ Xnyle

If you're trying to preserve the disk, then don't rewrite it until it develops errors, and of course first confirm the error by trying at least two other working drives first.

As soon as you write over the disk with your (uncalibrated) floppy drive, it will not be exactly the same as when leaving the duplication plant or whatever, so it would be the last resort in my mind.

The last last resort incase the disk is u/s would be to split open the diskette case and replace the actual disk inside. This preserves the diskette case and label, so there is nothing to worry about really.

To demagnetise a tape or disk requires a powerful alternating magnetic field, so there's nothing to worry about there either. Just look after them the best you can, you can do no more. :)