Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Former Commodore UK Bosses David Pleasance and Colin Proudfoot Join FriendUP  (Read 1398 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline danwood

The two former joint managing directors of Commodore UK have joined the new Amiga-inspired FriendUP platform.

After first meeting the Friend team at Amiga 30 in Amsterdam, both have been very impressed with the project and agreed to join as senior managers in the company.  Colin is now CFO, with David becoming Director of International Sales and Marketing.

David and Colin were once the favourites to purchase the entire Amiga technology, after the downfall of Commodore in 1994.   21 years later, this is the first time the pair have worked together since Commodore.

FriendUP is a next generation web application technology for connecting users and developers to resources in a unifying way. The first product is an open source application called the Friend Unifying Platform, and takes many design decisions and concepts from the Amiga OS.

David Pleasance and Colin Proudfoot have recorded an interview with Dan Wood on Youtube, to explain why they wanted to be involved.

See the video here: https://youtu.be/T7Kng6icsbY
 

Offline kamelito

Watching it right now thanks
Kamelito
 

Offline Linde

Them joining the company would have to be the most interesting aspect of this platform. The interview mentions that it would be inspired by Amiga and even Amiga-like, but it seems like it will be a web based in-browser type window manager with a few shrug-worthy apps running in the cloud, which already sort of rules out anything that I think is particularly unique or interesting about Amiga.

They also mention that it will be "open", and I sincerely doubt that, in any meaningful sense of the word anyway. Maybe it will be open in the sense that it is developer friendly or something, but not open like Linux, which is what the developer guy seems to imply. Depending on someone else to manage your files or provide the service of making the applications you use daily available to you is the antithesis of being open. Will I be able to download and run my own FriendUP server? Will I be able to download and build it from source? Never mind the fact that the apps they present on their website all have free and actually open, cross-platform alternatives that are more mature and obviously more widely adopted.

Inventing their own shell language also sounds cool and fun, but who are they going to woo with that? "Hey, let's invest in this startup cloud platform by building software in a way that makes us entirely dependent on their success. Let's not only use their APIs and storage services, but also the language that they invented!"
 

Offline 4pLaY

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2002
  • Posts: 775
  • Country: no
  • Total likes: 4
  • Gender: Male
    • https://www.amigalife.org
Quote from: Linde;803449
They also mention that it will be "open", and I sincerely doubt that, in any meaningful sense of the word anyway.


https://github.com/FriendSoftwareLabs/friendup

Offline apsturk

4pLaY

Yah it's just another know it all. I just ignore them kind!

This is very cool indeed
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz
 

Offline danwood

Here's an interview with their lead dev, Hogne: https://youtu.be/Y5n0f5DSbSM

He explains it in depth.
 

Offline OlafS3

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2009
  • Posts: 1542
  • Total likes: 0
Quote from: danwood;803432
The two former joint managing directors of Commodore UK have joined the new Amiga-inspired FriendUP platform.

After first meeting the Friend team at Amiga 30 in Amsterdam, both have been very impressed with the project and agreed to join as senior managers in the company.  Colin is now CFO, with David becoming Director of International Sales and Marketing.

David and Colin were once the favourites to purchase the entire Amiga technology, after the downfall of Commodore in 1994.   21 years later, this is the first time the pair have worked together since Commodore.

FriendUP is a next generation web application technology for connecting users and developers to resources in a unifying way. The first product is an open source application called the Friend Unifying Platform, and takes many design decisions and concepts from the Amiga OS.

David Pleasance and Colin Proudfoot have recorded an interview with Dan Wood on Youtube, to explain why they wanted to be involved.

See the video here: https://youtu.be/T7Kng6icsbY

Does it run Amiga software? Does it have the Amiga API? No?

.NET installs components by copying files in directories like amiga. .NET shares a concept so it is now Amiga? Can I publish .NET news here also?
 

Offline Niding

Id say the news is somewhat cause;

a) Hogne has a strong Amiga background
b) The project is inspired by the Amiga OS enviroment
c) The people signing on now has a strong Amiga background

With that background Id say it fits within the

"The "Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" » Alternative Operating Systems"

forum section.

If I started spamming the forum with Windows related stuff, I dont see it really fit, cause Im a "nobody", with no development merits etc.
So its context.
 

Offline OlafS3

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2009
  • Posts: 1542
  • Total likes: 0
Quote from: Niding;803471
Id say the news is somewhat cause;

a) Hogne has a strong Amiga background
b) The project is inspired by the Amiga OS enviroment
c) The people signing on now has a strong Amiga background

With that background Id say it fits within the

"The "Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" » Alternative Operating Systems"

forum section.

If I started spamming the forum with Windows related stuff, I dont see it really fit, cause Im a "nobody", with no development merits etc.
So its context.

on amigaworld it is even big news... that is a little too much for my taste

They also went on amiga meetings and made big 1 hour presentations on it until people got nerved
 

Offline Niding

So you dont like people trying to succeed with something they develop?

If people dont want to listen to a persentation, you can always just ignore it.
Noone is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to read or listen to it.

Personally I dont see myself use it, altho I should investigate its merits/developments before I dismiss it. But generally I dont like "cloudbased" systems (slight paranoia I guess).
 

Offline Yasu

I still don't know what this is for. Is it a cloud OS that is good for CPU intensive tasks? If so, then I don't have a use for it personally.