Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"  (Read 13325 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Yasu

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
Though I did hear that they chose an incompatible FPU and that no creative programming can make it work, which will drastically lower it's performance. But I can't confirm this.

Offline Kronos

  • Resident blue troll
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4017
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »
@iggy

If it has to emulate a lot of FPU it will end up being slower than an Efika.....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else
 

Offline Iggy

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;797224
@iggy

If it has to emulate a lot of FPU it will end up being slower than an Efika.....

If this IS powered by a P1022, then they have made a serious error as software would have to be recompiled for that processor.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline ciVic

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »
For me more exciting was it has GPIO pin headers!
 

Offline Fransexy_

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797226
If this IS powered by a P1022, then they have made a serious error as software would have to be recompiled for that processor.


It couldbe like in amiga classic, there was a time when you have 00, 020, 060, nofpu, fpu optimized versions of the same executable

With this board could be used the same aproach,  you use generic Amigaos powerpc executables but slower or P1022 optimiced executables that are faster

what do you think?
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT
 

Offline eliyahu

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;797234
It couldbe like in amiga classic, there was a time when you have 00, 020, 060, nofpu, fpu optimized versions of the same executable

With this board could be used the same aproach,  you use generic Amigaos powerpc executables but slower or P1022 optimiced executables that are faster

what do you think?
oy. while i suppose that would work, it'd be a shame if that ended up being the solution.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."
 

Offline apsturk

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 09:44:22 PM »
Wow,
Does anybody really think Acube and A-Eon are so dumb that they would spend money time and all the rest and not have thought through every bit of what they are doing. They are the only ones that make NG hardware and both have products out and work hard to advance things in that regard. Remember 2 years ago just after Amiewest 2013 they announced a hardware partnership. This is good news all across the board for everyone. So I am one who says GREAT JOB!!! and thanks for all your efforts both Acube and A-Eon. Some on this site should just stop with the I know better than everyone but have no track record to back it up garbage. Thanks again Acube and A-Eon. You build it I and others that really do care about this hobby buy it and everyone wins.  

even the know it all naysayers win but again it is because of the people that spend money and support the work for AmigaNG. If you dont have the money to play in the sand box then get out of it  instead of pissing in it and on the people working in it.


I have spent far FAR more money this year in 2015 by a long shot than it costs to buy a new X1000 in just donations to AmigaNG software and other projects. So keep talking crap as the producers and backers move things forward. How about you put your money in and join us or go find another hobby that like the glass is half empty talk.

I play to win and I will.
I have an A=Eon AmigaOne X1000 and will have a X5000/40 and the new mb from Acube and will keep up with software donations and buy all the new software and spend more of my money. Talk is cheep. My lips don't flap in the wind and I am not cheep.
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz
 

Offline eliyahu

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
@apsturk

well said. i just think some of us are a little concerned about the FPU compatibility, that's all. i'll still end up buying one. i'm addicted to this stuff. :lol:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."
 

Offline danbeaver

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 2454
  • Total likes: 0
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;797202
700 to 1200 is too random. I suspect it will be 1200.... and then we don't know if the price is for just the board, or a complete computer. But nonetheless, it is interesting, although I would have preferred a single core CPU with more hz, than a dual core with only 1 being supported by the OS.

Without an official announcement, the CPU may change, but Linux supports multi core CPU's, and the forth coming OS4.2 should support them as well.
 

Offline xeno74

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »
Hi All,

The Tabor board doesn't have a classic FPU with dedicated  FPRs found on most other PowerPC systems. It is replaced with a set of  SPE instructions which perform floating-point operations on the integer  registers.
Important: The SPE unit can execute floating-point  operations very fast. We have tested a lot of programs with FPU  operations this year.
Tabor sound, 3D acceleration, and network work  without any problems on Debian PowerPCSPE. I'm very surprised about the  performance of this board.
Note: It is also possible to install a  normal PowerPC distribution of Linux on this board. The missing FPU  instructions are emulated for PowerPC programs by the Linux kernel.


Cheers,

Christian

Offline amoskodare

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »
Quote from: apsturk;797237
Wow,
Does anybody really think Acube and A-Eon are so dumb that they would spend money time and all the rest and not have thought through every bit of what they are doing. They are the only ones that make NG hardware and both have products out and work hard to advance things in that regard. Remember 2 years ago just after Amiewest 2013 they announced a hardware partnership. This is good news all across the board for everyone. So I am one who says GREAT JOB!!! and thanks for all your efforts both Acube and A-Eon. Some on this site should just stop with the I know better than everyone but have no track record to back it up garbage. Thanks again Acube and A-Eon. You build it I and others that really do care about this hobby buy it and everyone wins.  

even the know it all naysayers win but again it is because of the people that spend money and support the work for AmigaNG. If you dont have the money to play in the sand box then get out of it  instead of pissing in it and on the people working in it.


I have spent far FAR more money this year in 2015 by a long shot than it costs to buy a new X1000 in just donations to AmigaNG software and other projects. So keep talking crap as the producers and backers move things forward. How about you put your money in and join us or go find another hobby that like the glass is half empty talk.

I play to win and I will.
I have an A=Eon AmigaOne X1000 and will have a X5000/40 and the new mb from Acube and will keep up with software donations and buy all the new software and spend more of my money. Talk is cheep. My lips don't flap in the wind and I am not cheep.

+1
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA
 

Offline Iggy

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 11:27:17 PM »
@apsturk

Yes, I'd like it to be noted that I think using the P1022 with its non standard fpu is a damned stupid idea.
So, we now have to modify the OS' AND recompile software just for this one model?
That is preposterous, and any of you that don't get that have missed a serious point.
Using an e500v2 cored cpu was a mistake.
Its a dead end.
The obvious evolution would be the e5500 and then the e6500.

So the T10XX would have been the logical choice.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline nicholas

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 02:35:25 AM »
Quote from: apsturk;797237
Wow,
Does anybody really think Acube and A-Eon are so dumb that they would spend money time and all the rest and not have thought through every bit of what they are doing. They are the only ones that make NG hardware and both have products out and work hard to advance things in that regard. Remember 2 years ago just after Amiewest 2013 they announced a hardware partnership. This is good news all across the board for everyone. So I am one who says GREAT JOB!!! and thanks for all your efforts both Acube and A-Eon. Some on this site should just stop with the I know better than everyone but have no track record to back it up garbage. Thanks again Acube and A-Eon. You build it I and others that really do care about this hobby buy it and everyone wins.  

even the know it all naysayers win but again it is because of the people that spend money and support the work for AmigaNG. If you dont have the money to play in the sand box then get out of it  instead of pissing in it and on the people working in it.


I have spent far FAR more money this year in 2015 by a long shot than it costs to buy a new X1000 in just donations to AmigaNG software and other projects. So keep talking crap as the producers and backers move things forward. How about you put your money in and join us or go find another hobby that like the glass is half empty talk.

I play to win and I will.
I have an A=Eon AmigaOne X1000 and will have a X5000/40 and the new mb from Acube and will keep up with software donations and buy all the new software and spend more of my money. Talk is cheep. My lips don't flap in the wind and I am not cheep.


https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline nicholas

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 02:42:22 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;797248
@apsturk

Yes, I'd like it to be noted that I think using the P1022 with its non standard fpu is a damned stupid idea.
So, we now have to modify the OS' AND recompile software just for this one model?
That is preposterous, and any of you that don't get that have missed a serious point.
Using an e500v2 cored cpu was a mistake.
Its a dead end.
The obvious evolution would be the e5500 and then the e6500.

So the T10XX would have been the logical choice.


Any Amiga program should be using the OS provided Maths libraries anyway Jim so as long as Hyperion provide libs with the same public interfaces but internally using code specific for this weird FPU then most stuff should be OK. Theoretically anyway.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Rob

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 07:40:33 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;797255
Any Amiga program should be using the OS provided Maths libraries anyway Jim so as long as Hyperion provide libs with the same public interfaces but internally using code specific for this weird FPU then most stuff should be OK. Theoretically anyway.


Yep, we should at least reserve judgement until we've seen OS4 running on this hardware.