Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 B Power Switch Soldering Help  (Read 3670 times)

Description:

Offline AmmoJammo

• Show only replies by AmmoJammo
Re: Raspberry Pi 2 B Power Switch Soldering Help
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:20 AM »
I've pulled apart one of my PS1's because I couldn't figure out how you're making this so difficult.

The led you've left on the switch board isn't connected to anything, so I assume this isn't the led you're talking about lighting up.

The contacts switch from one side to the other, not front to back....

In other words, if you have the board sitting in front of you, as it would sit in the PS1, the left contacts are the "input" and the right contacts are the "output"

Meaning, the way you have it wired above, you're simply shorting out the power supply, and the wire points need to be rotated 90 degrees...

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
I read that these things go from side to side, but the guide I was going by on Insructables doesn't go into detail except to say that he wired the lines red to red, black to black, and that he kept the PSX's fuse on board and passed the positive I believe it was, through that.

Another guy posted on the same tutorial and showed photos that he had bypassed the fuse, but again did not provide photos of how he wired things up under the board.

When the guys above talk about the ground, I presume that is going to be the black wire, if so should I solder it to one of the gold spots on the board? I've tried going left to right and that had no effect before, this is why I ask.

Thanks for taking a look.

http://www.instructables.com/id/PiStation-A-Raspberry-Pi-Emulation-Console/?ALLSTEPS

Quote from: AmmoJammo;795445
I've pulled apart one of my PS1's because I couldn't figure out how you're making this so difficult.

The led you've left on the switch board isn't connected to anything, so I assume this isn't the led you're talking about lighting up.

In other words, if you have the board sitting in front of you, as it would sit in the PS1, the left contacts are the "input" and the right contacts are the "output"

Meaning, the way you have it wired above, you're simply shorting out the power supply, and the wire points need to be rotated 90 degrees...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
Maybe this would be the cause ?

"If there is a +5V on the original  Playstation power supply, it think it is mainly used to powered  controllers and some other small part of the console. This mean the +5V  power supply has not been designed to deliver a lot a current. It  probably can not deliver enough power for the Pi. If you request too  much current, in the best case, the voltage will fall and the Pi will  hard reset. In the worst case, the Playstation power supply can burn.
So, it can be a good idea but we must check if the power supply is able to deliver enough current for the Pi."

If there is not enough current (under load not when disconnected) then something like you said (power led on but no power) could happen.

I just a assumed that red wire is Playstation PSU 5V rail , if not ignore post ...

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »
This power pack was ordered to meet Pi 2 specifications.

Quote from: Blizz1220;795448
Maybe this would be the cause ?

"If there is a +5V on the original  Playstation power supply, it think it is mainly used to powered  controllers and some other small part of the console. This mean the +5V  power supply has not been designed to deliver a lot a current. It  probably can not deliver enough power for the Pi. If you request too  much current, in the best case, the voltage will fall and the Pi will  hard reset. In the worst case, the Playstation power supply can burn.
So, it can be a good idea but we must check if the power supply is able to deliver enough current for the Pi."

If there is not enough current (under load not when disconnected) then something like you said (power led on but no power) could happen.

I just a assumed that red wire is Playstation PSU 5V rail , if not ignore post ...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Blizz1220

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
Then I have no idea , something is stopping power (and probably
it's some sort of a fuse if everything is connected ok).

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;795451
Then I have no idea , something is stopping power (and probably
it's some sort of a fuse if everything is connected ok).

I removed the fuse.

Offline Blizz1220

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
I see.Well , you can follow 5V line from the psu (but be careful) to the
Pi and measure volts.If there is around 5 V +-0.25 to some point and then
drops to close to zero there it is.It can be SMD resistor (black little things).

When you removed the fuse you soldered contacts back with wire I
take it.

Sorry , but without seeing it it's kinda hard , if you are trying modification
like that on site you linked maybe ask there ?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »
I'm not a member there, I think it costs money.

All I did for the PSU was remove the prongs that would usually plug into the wall, and wired them directly to the back of the PSX as shown in my photos. It's nothing fancy.

Quote from: Blizz1220;795454
I see.Well , you can follow 5V line from the psu (but be careful) to the
Pi and measure volts.If there is around 5 V +-0.25 to some point and then
drops to close to zero there it is.It can be SMD resistor (black little things).

When you removed the fuse you soldered contacts back with wire I
take it.

Sorry , but without seeing it it's kinda hard , if you are trying modification
like that on site you linked maybe ask there ?

Offline Blizz1220

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
I take it black wire (ground) is connected to Pi to wherever it should be
connected ? (last resort :)) It should say GND.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
That did it, and I realized why the LED is always on... because the LED is not set behind the switch. As long as the power is plugged in, the LED is going to be on. So I ordered one of these also as a secondary off switch until I can figure out a better solution. Now to rewire the LED to the PSX LED, wait for my RJ45 extender to arrive in the mail, put the Pi on some posts and it's down. I'll share more photos and maybe a video of it in action; it's nearly there.

Thank you again for taking a look!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361336678014?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote from: AmmoJammo;795445

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:03:06 AM by XDelusion »

• Alien Breeder

Offline AmmoJammo

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 12:36:50 AM »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »
Quote from: AmmoJammo;795932
This is the "PSX"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28video_game_console%29

Send me one, I'll put a Pi in it! :)

Offline AmmoJammo

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 08:02:11 AM »
I'm sure you'd try.... I'm sure you'd try.....

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
Quote from: AmmoJammo;795940
I'm sure you'd try.... I'm sure you'd try.....

:)

That is pretty cool though, I'd never heard of it before. Never was a Sony guy my self, but I realized I had a few Sony cases laying around and I heard that Sony emulation was superb on the hardware, so I found a couple guides, added a couple twists of my own, then went to town. It's been a lot of fun, though now that I've got it running, I want it to do it all, UAE, Atar 8-Bit, ZDOOM, Quake 3, KODI, DOSbox, and so on. I'm amazed at what this hardware can do!

Offline AmmoJammo

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 24, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
So far I've tried two Playstation 1 games on my Raspberry Pi, and one of them was unbearably bad, I couldn't stand trying to play it, the emulation was just wrong.