Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A2000 Flashing Red Capslock light  (Read 283 times)

Description:

Offline ErolTopic starter

A2000 Flashing Red Capslock light
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
I'm not a novice but need some advice if this motherboard is a lost cause.

I brought this A2000 from someone whom wanted to put this in the trash and there was no keyboard, mouse or monitor.   Luckily I had those already.

The A2000 is revision 4, the battery was a little frothy and the board was so dirty I decided to test before cleaning..  

The keyboard caps light flashes RED constantly and the Amiga video is just white screen.

I removed the battery and cleaned the motherboard carefully with alcohol solution and cotton buds, especially around where the battery was.   The traces look fine on the underneath of the board its a bit difficult to tell if the battery has leaked but seeing there was some green around the battery i cleaned extensively (see photos).

I have removed and cleaned all socketed chips and noticed the floppy connector has one pin missing which for some reason is firmly inserted in the floppy cable plastic connector.

Is this motherboard repairable or a lost cause?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: A2000 Flashing Red Capslock light
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »
The floppy drive cable is normal.

White indicates a CPU failure:

http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Amiga_boot_error_code_colours

Since the CPU is closest to where the battery leaked, I would remove the CPU again, clean and inspect it thoroughly, and also around the socket.  As a test you can buy a replacement 68000 or 68010 CPU off ebay for less than$ $10.  But off-hand I would re-check that socket again, and make sure the CPU is firmly seated.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:15:13 PM »
AFAIK in your second picture it does look like there's some damage to the traces in that area.  But the A2000 is the toughest of any Amiga, and most can be brought back from the dead, much more easily than any other model.  So don't give up hope! :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline ErolTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;782749
AFAIK in your second picture it does look like there's some damage to the traces in that area.  But the A2000 is the toughest of any Amiga, and most can be brought back from the dead, much more easily than any other model.  So don't give up hope! :)

Thank You for clear advice Oldsmobile_Mike,   I will re-seat/clean & replace the 68000 chip as you suggested.
Will post on here again once I have done that, may take some time.
I hope to get this machine working again :)