Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you do with Linux on your AmigaOne X1000?  (Read 2551 times)

Description:

Offline xeno74Topic starter

• Show only replies by xeno74
    • http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de
What do you do with Linux on your AmigaOne X1000?
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »
Hi All,

I'd like to know what do you do with Linux on your A1-X1000. The most of the time I work for A-EON's Linux A1-X1000 support. Additional I learn networking with a network simulation:

I also learn to install, configure, and work with monitoring distributions like OMD. I have compiled the Open Monitoring Distribution 1.10 for our A1-X1000. With OMD you can monitor and check a lot of networks and servers.

Download: omd-bin-1.10-ubuntu_12.04.4.powerpc.tar.gz

Parenthetically, I learn English with my vocabulary trainer for the Bash shell.

Download: voc-shellquiz-1_3_6-bash.tar.gz

Voc runs here on my S.u.S.E Linux 5.0 in a QEMU machine on my A1-X1000:

I love emulation with QEMU on my A1-X1000:

What do you do with Linux on your AmigaOne X1000?

Cheers,

Christian

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
Re: What do you do with Linux on your AmigaOne X1000?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:06:46 AM »
Call me what you want, but i fail to understand what's the use of struggling to have Linux on the X-1000. Yes, ok, it's another alternative OS for the machine. But Linux is something you can run from a smart HDMI dongle all the way up to a MacPro etc.
IMHO people attracted to the X-1000 should invest time in developing software for what is supposedly the 'Newest Generation Amiga' platform there is.
Try projecting the Amiga side of things, promoting Linux on this platform doesn't look like a factor to make potential owners sympathize it more.
Just my 2 cents...

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
Quote from: salax54;770702
Try projecting the Amiga side of things, promoting Linux on this platform doesn't look like a factor to make potential owners sympathize it more.
Well said.

Offline aperez

• Show only replies by aperez
    • http://inertial.biz
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
Call me what you want, but i fail to understand what's the use of struggling to have Linux on the X-1000. Yes, ok, it's another alternative OS for the machine.

...and the only one which can actually take advantage of all of the underlying hardware to any meaningful extent, unfortunately.

But Linux is something you can run from a smart HDMI dongle all the way up to a MacPro etc.
IMHO people attracted to the X-1000 should invest time in developing software for what is supposedly the 'Newest Generation Amiga' platform there is.

So what? Linux is a tool for enabling you to do things. When you fire up your Chromeast, you aren't doing it to "run Linux", you're doing it to enjoy some entertainment. Linux is just a means to an end, and a very viable one at that.

Just my 2 cents...

This stinks strongly of you telling a contributor how you think they should be spending their time, and I'd argue that sort of behavior is repugnant at worst, and highly counter-productive at best.

If you don't use or desire to use Linux on an X1000, that's fine; To each their own. The software ecosystem is far more current (and many would argue relevant/usable) on the Linux side of the fence than on the Amiga side. That's not something any one of us can change on our own, because millions of other people choose to use and develop software for Linux.