Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New improved intuition.library version from the Kickstart 3.1  (Read 30547 times)

Description:

Offline CosmosTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cosmos
    • http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com
Re: New improved intuition.library version from the Kickstart 3.1
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »
intuition.library v40.86 beta 5 (105 708 bytes)

- fix R_SizeWindow
  - R_OpenWindow use now smart_refresh mode
  - a lot of tiny subroutines inlined
  - 8828 bytes saved

======> http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.fr/p/coding.html

(Oups : next beta will include smart_refresh mode (http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/SmartWB105) in R_OpenWindowTagList too)

:)

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
One bug report about BenchTrash prefs : it's an issue from this proggy, not from my new intuition.library version...

The little fix is ready for download (at the end) : http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.fr/p/coding.html

guest11527

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 04:52:46 AM »
Quote from: Cosmos;771107
One bug report about BenchTrash prefs : it's an issue from this proggy, not from my new intuition.library version...

With all necessary respect: If you find a bug (or believe to have found a bug, I don't know), please *report it* so it can be fixed upstream. Please remove that patch, (yes, I'm serious!) I don't prefer my programs to be patched except in source code, and except by someone having the source code with my permission.  Thank you.  Thus, what exactly is the issue, what is the observable effect, and what do you believe it may fix. What you made is not a bug report. It's just messing with somebody's others code without even asking first. What's actually so hard about this step?

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 05:34:34 AM »
When I ask coders for improving something : the answer is always no... Or no answer...

I asked you by email about updating the mmu.library (to make it romable if my memory is good...) and your answer was no some years ago...

So now I do by myself without any permession, I don't care... (I won't reverse your mmu.library, stay cool, ok ?!)

Amiga Classic 68k must evolve by any ways : if no evolution, it's the complete death...

For BenchTrash : it's a missing "moveq #1,d0" just after a "jsr -$72(a6)"... I'll remove my patch only is you release a fixed version quickly...

(PS : I know you will want write 3 pages of silly answer as usual : but not on my thread here... Do no pollute my work here with your well know negativity : open a new thread for that. Thanks for your understanding)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 06:08:59 AM »
Thanks Cosmos, I'll give it a try later today.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 06:48:05 AM »
Nobody with his negativity will stop me : beta 6 on the way !

Will include SMART_REFRESH into R_OpenWindowTagList for ECS/OCS/AGA screenmode :

"SmartWB is a little program that will *magically speed up* Workbench's
window   refreshing.    It   forces   to  Workbench  windows  to  open  in
smart-refresh  mode  instead  of  slow, ugly-look simple-refresh.  SmartWB
patches  intuition/OpenWindowTagList  which  Workbench  uses  to  open its
windows.    I   really   don't  know  why  gurus  in  C=  decided  to  use
simple-refresh - it saves some memory, but the speed gain worth that.  Try
to  open something, let's say, about 20 windows on your workbench and then
do,  for  example,  a  depth  rearranging.  And so?  Yes, slow, even on an
A4000!  Try it again with SmartWB..."

A good tip, I will test it shortly :

"Furthermore   if  you  use  Magic  Layers  (aminet/gfx/misc/ML11.lha),
realtime window movement program by Trond Werner Hansen, SmartWB will make
it even better!!"

Offline thommys

• Show only replies by thommys
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
All of your improvements are dirty hacks. If someone have a Problem with a Software that worked correctly for years it's not an Issue of this Software. It's your fault! btw hacking software without permission is illegal.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
@StupidGuy

Shut up : you know nothing in coding and you are completly incapable to do what I' have done...

Remember that I don't have any original source, so the only way is reversing... All coders (except one) contacted refuse to improve or update their software...

They believe they are God : the super Amiga elite, have a very very big melon, have reason on anything, think I'm an idiot and don't want to share anything on their super-hyper piece of coding... Ridiculous !

;)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
Quote from: Cosmos;771182
They believe they are God : the super Amiga elite, have a very very big melon, have reason on anything, think I'm an idiot and don't want to share anything on their super-hyper piece of coding... Ridiculous !

Your ranting is doing you a disservice.

I personally wouldn't want to run a hacked version of intuition that ignored what type of window the developer wanted, but some of your patches seem ok.

Your attitude puts me off though.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »
Quote from: thommys;771179
All of your improvements are dirty hacks. If someone have a Problem with a Software that worked correctly for years it's not an Issue of this Software. It's your fault! btw hacking software without permission is illegal.

It is quite common for software to work perfectly will with bugged libraries, and then when that library is fixed, for it to stop working.

As for it being illegal, I doubt anybody cares to be honest...

No-one's forcing anyone to use a third-party modified version of intuition.library, so I say go for it! If you don't like it, don't use it.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

guest11527

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
Quote from: Cosmos;771163
When I ask coders for improving something : the answer is always no... Or no answer...

Cosmos, as always: It depends. We're talking about bugs vs. features, just to give you a hint.  
I asked you by email about updating the mmu.library (to make it romable if my memory is good...) and your answer was no some years ago...

The answer was "no" because it is a) not possible without unreasonable hackery, and b) it is not even the right goal. I know we disagree on this, but in my opinion, as much software needs to be *removed* from the ROM as possible, to keep kickstart updates as seemless as possible. It's called "software" for a good reason. This is in good tradition with many other constructions we find in the PC market and elsewhere. Anyhow - Don't you think that if the author and a contributer of software disagree about the target of a project that the author should have the final word?  Anyhow, you can convince me *why* it should be rom-able, but I really don't see it. If it is, you must also make the 680x0.libraries ROM-able, which is equally hard, and - as I say - equally undesirable.  
So now I do by myself without any permession, I don't care... (I won't reverse your mmu.library, stay cool, ok ?!)

Amiga Classic 68k must evolve by any ways : if no evolution, it's the complete death...
I don't disagree with the "evolution" part, but please understand that this requires a somewhat more coordinated approach than what you are doing right now. Yes, it costs time and might be anoying, but you need to *talk* to people. You can even talk to Hyperion or Olsen, you know, if you need to get some sources. It is, as always, a matter of how you approach them, and how you can motivate that you want to do what you want to do. It takes longer, but it is the better strategy. It is also a matter of politics and personal engagement, and yes, that's all complicated, but necessary.  
For BenchTrash : it's a missing "moveq #1,d0" just after a "jsr -$42(a6)"... I'll remove my patch only is you release a fixed version quickly...
Can you please give me a segment and an offset, to allow me to find the location? Thank you. I'm really not asking for much.  PS: I don't think anything I write here is "silly", or "unreasonable". You've found a bug (likely), which is good. I thank you for that. All I'm asking you is to make that report in proper form to "evolve AmigaOs further", as you put it correctly. The tactics of just patch the stuff is, I afraid, counter productive since then the bug will re-appear next version again. Quite simple, isn't it?

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
My personal experience in Amiga land is getting sourcecode for closed source Amiga native software is VERY difficult. I have tried in the past to get the source for the Amiga LHA. and for some code related to SFS to no avail (for bugfixes - SFS maintainer wouldn't help because he didn't want Morphos users to benefit from any improvements - madness), as well as other things. Luckily it is not always the case, but the attitude of Amiga developers is very odd (and out of date imho), especially in the case where a developer no longer wishes to make any improvements themselves - they rather have the software and its bugs die with them than allow others to continue.

Don't miss this aspect of Amiga computing at all, and work almost exclusively with open source these days.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:21:04 PM by buzz »

guest11527

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Quote from: buzz;771206
Don't miss this aspect of Amiga computing at all, and work almost exclusively with open source these days.

It's more complicated, actually. Have you ever tried to get a patch or improvement into open source software? Yes, of course, you can patch yourself, but that typically does not help because in the next release, the patch is gone and you have the work all over again.

In the end, it boils down to the very same answer: Talk to people, don't patch.

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;771211
It's more complicated, actually. Have you ever tried to get a patch or improvement into open source software? Yes, of course, you can patch yourself, but that typically does not help because in the next release, the patch is gone and you have the work all over again.

In the end, it boils down to the very same answer: Talk to people, don't patch.

It's not complicated. And the simple answer is yes. I have - with ease. I have had patches accepted in many projects from small web based applications to well known large collaborative projects.

People resort to binary patches in Amigaland because the source is not available, the author doesn't care, the software has been discontinued and so on. Had the source been available for your code, you could have received a nice source patch in the mail which would have been considerably easier wouldn't it ? As I have already said, getting the source can be very difficult - it's a lovely idea to talk sure, but not everyone is listening (as I have already mentioned when trying to fix issues with existing software on the Amiga before)

It's your choice to licence your software however you want though of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:30:24 PM by buzz »

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;771183
Your ranting is doing you a disservice.

I personally wouldn't want to run a hacked version of intuition that ignored what type of window the developer wanted, but some of your patches seem ok.

Your attitude puts me off though.

Do what you want, I just say the thruth and tell my story... Nothing more, nothing less...

Coders are a bit special, it's like that : me too I'm special... It's just a fact : it's impossible to talk and trade with coders from my experience... They (hum... we) live on an "another planet" ! lol !!

Anyway, I understand your questions and interrogations about myself and all my reworked libraries : I have some secret goals with them, I cannot explain because Amiga have a lot of and powerfull ennemies...

Follow my works, and little by little all become clear for you...

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 19, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »
Beta 6 near finished... Release for tomorrow...

Again a lot of supertiny subroutines inlined and many argstack turned to registers now...

You will get a little speedup : jbsr/rts and the move on the stack (specially on 000/010/020) are slow on every 68k...

Still a gigantic work to do...

This library was compiled by a very bad compilator : Dice ? Aztec ?

If you know, please tell me...