Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.  (Read 1418 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline XDelusion

Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
I presume all the tablets suggested in this thread are not RT then?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs
 

Offline Duce

  • Off to greener pastures
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 1699
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Surface Pro series are all full Windows 8.

Surface RT (name for the first gen Surface RT tablets) and Surface 2 are both RT powered, ARM based, therefore they run none of the standard desktop Windows apps.

You can literally only load special RT software on them via the Windows Store.  They are not worthy of even being paperweights, IMO.  They will not run x86 code/programs.

That being said, the RT powered ones do come with Office, lol.

Honestly, the Surface Pro 2 in 64GB form is about $400 more than it should be, starting at $899 and going up to $1799 for the 512 GB SSD one.  I'd just buy a decent laptop.  Better battery life, better connectivity (like an Ethernet port), most usability.

There are, of course - many other manufacturers making cheaper and more powerful full Windows 8 tablets.

On the 64 GB Pro 2 models, there's only 47 GB free drive space free out of that 64 GB drive.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:53:04 PM by Duce »
 

Offline XDelusion

Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »
Indeed, I just looked at Ebay and the prices make it totally unworth it, so instead I picked up an old laptop for $35 shipped. Not that anything I intend to run Windows on is worth even that, but it will get me by and serve my basic purpose until Windows 8 completely flops and I can get my hands on a tablet for less, much less. :)

Thanks all for the advice and info!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs
 

Offline wawrzon

Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
Quote from: Duce;758536


You can literally only load special RT software on them via the Windows Store.  They are not worthy of even being paperweights, IMO.  They will not run x86 code/programs.


right.
the only worth anything is the pro. limited size ssd is a major drawback, but so far i manage with an 128gb model. connectivity is not that much of issue thanks wlan, bluetooth and usb hubs, i only been afraid to damage the single usb port at some point. battery time isnt that great but about fine for reasonable usage, and remember this is an i5 mobile. whats great is the pressure sensitive wacom like pen for drawing and the easiness to connect on the fly to an external screen when one needs one. i honestly cant imagine that much an full scale notebook would offer beyond that. but then i bought the device for gfx work underway. and it pays so far.
 

Offline gertsy

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2006
  • Posts: 2303
  • Country: au
  • Total likes: 4
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;758551
Indeed, I just looked at Ebay and the prices make it totally unworth it, so instead I picked up an old laptop for $35 shipped. Not that anything I intend to run Windows on is worth even that, but it will get me by and serve my basic purpose until Windows 8 completely flops and I can get my hands on a tablet for less, much less. :)

Thanks all for the advice and info!


Not sure of the logic there. Wait for a product you really want to fail so you can get it cheap. I suppose it's a realistic proposition if you're not one if those people who then whinges about lack if support.
 

Offline XDelusion

Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;758580
Not sure of the logic there. Wait for a product you really want to fail so you can get it cheap. I suppose it's a realistic proposition if you're not one if those people who then whinges about lack if support.


It's Windows we're talking about man. Anyhow, yes I only need this for two or 3 programs. I can not justify spending much on a Win8 tablet no, so yes, I'll wait for it to fail.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
I use a Zoom H4 as an audio device via a USB adaptor (i.e. "The camera connection kit") on my iPad mini. That give me a bunch of audio IO (including two phantom powered XLR connectors), latency isn't brillaint, but the audio recording software is pretty good and allows for building demos with quite a lot of usable preproduction work!

-edit- sorry, just realised that you arena talking about a Win8 tablet. As long as you avoid the WinRT ones, you can use all your Windows software and hardware... Though for the money, a cheap generic laptop might be better :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:52:27 PM by bloodline »
 

Offline XDelusion

Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;758589
I use a Zoom H4 as an audio device via a USB adaptor (i.e. "The camera connection kit") on my iPad mini. That give me a bunch of audio IO (including two phantom powered XLR connectors), latency isn't brillaint, but the audio recording software is pretty good and allows for building demos with quite a lot of usable preproduction work!

-edit- sorry, just realised that you arena talking about a Win8 tablet. As long as you avoid the WinRT ones, you can use all your Windows software and hardware... Though for the money, a cheap generic laptop might be better :)


I still use my Amiga as the MIDI controller for my gear. I ONLY need Windows to back up the date and to program my KP3 and  Korg Kaossilator Pro. That's it, that's all. So having a tiny touch tablet laying amidst my gear would be far better than a Keyboard and Mouse, or a Laptop and Mouse, though for now the $35 laptop I just ordered will have to do. Technically I could get away without using a mouse with it, and besides I can shut it down and put it aside and out of the way when I'm not using it, plus it consumes way less power than the desktop I'm currently keeping around for that purpose.

 If only there was software for this on MorphOS. Oh to dream. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs