Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder  (Read 6896 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:35 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744367
count me in when you've got an a1200/a3000 version with an 100mhz 060 fpga. :)


x2

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!


Nice Ports on AmiNet!
 

Offline Acill

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »
Nice work on this project! I am tired of the prices for Amiga hardware and would love to see something like this take off!! Dont forget when Minimeg was first talked about people said no way would it ever work and now its as real as anything out there!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics
 

Offline Madshib

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 12:58:23 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;744384
   

                                                                 (Originally Posted by nicholas                              
                 count me in when you've got an a1200/a3000 version with an 100mhz 060 fpga. :))
                                 
 x2

:)

x3
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:00:49 AM by Madshib »
 

Offline majsta

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
@Mrs Beanbag
that is what is all about to many people participate in this and that we build new cores constantly and put them into board. So anyone with VHDL or Verilog knowledge can try and best thing is that you can't damage A600 or accelerator itself because there are lot of protection modules there.

About those accelerators for A1200, we will see...
 

Offline Mrs Beanbag

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
I don't have any VHDL or Verilog knowledge, yet...
Signature intentionally left blank
 

Offline polyp2000

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
Quote from: majsta;744428
@Mrs Beanbag
that is what is all about to many people participate in this and that we build new cores constantly and put them into board. So anyone with VHDL or Verilog knowledge can try and best thing is that you can't damage A600 or accelerator itself because there are lot of protection modules there.

About those accelerators for A1200, we will see...


@majsta : I dont have an a600 - I might consider one of the a500 ones but If you do an a1200 version i will be lining up for a pre-order myself. Just out of curiousity how much is the speed limited by the FPGA? and would you need more expensive FPGA to achieve greater speeds?

N

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »
Quote from: majsta;744428
@Mrs Beanbag
that is what is all about to many people participate in this and that we build new cores constantly and put them into board. So anyone with VHDL or Verilog knowledge can try and best thing is that you can't damage A600 or accelerator itself because there are lot of protection modules there.

About those accelerators for A1200, we will see...
Interesting project! What else is on the board other than an FPGA? I assume a boot processor etc?

My thinking is that this could make a fun hacking platform for the A600! :)

Offline ChaosLord

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 12:23:47 PM »
Quote from: polyp2000;744430
. Just out of curiousity how much is the speed limited by the FPGA? and would you need more expensive FPGA to achieve greater speeds?


The speed is currently limited by the absence of L1 cache right now.

Using a more expensive FPGA would do nothing until after an L1 cache is implemented.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA
 

Offline majsta

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
Yes that's correct but I don't think that in the future adding such cache will be some huge problem. Also current cache can be improved so right now no one can calculate limits of this design.
 

Offline fishy_fiz

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Very cool stuff.
I only have an a1200, but will start looking for an a600 soon 'cos of the Vampire cards.

Just curious, but apart from speed increases, what enhancements can potentially be added? Would some sort of basic RTG system be possible?  Or even something like Grafitti emulation ?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.
 

Offline Mrs Beanbag

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »
I gather there are still plenty of spare LUTs on the FPGA, room for a lot of enhancements.
Signature intentionally left blank
 

Offline polyp2000

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;744441
I gather there are still plenty of spare LUTs on the FPGA, room for a lot of enhancements.


Akiko in FPGA could be interesting... Or perhaps some other wacko invention like a hardware implemented raycaster. I wonder if we could actually add features to the Amiga that never existed before that would provide hardware assistance to other CPU intensive tasks. A very exciting time indeed!

Offline nicholas

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
Quote from: Djole;744369
How modest of you. ;)


Well I suppose I could always wait for the 1GHz 060 FPGA version he's surely working on. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
Quote from: polyp2000;744451
Akiko in FPGA could be interesting... Or perhaps some other wacko invention like a hardware implemented raycaster. I wonder if we could actually add features to the Amiga that never existed before that would provide hardware assistance to other CPU intensive tasks. A very exciting time indeed!
Akiko done right might be a nice addition, where instead of writing the chunky pixel to the chip, then reading back the planar pixel and copying that data to the bitmap... Perhaps one could simply set a pointer to the chunky buffer in fast ram, then set it off to automatically copy and covert the buffer to chipram as planar data :)

Offline nicholas

Re: Vampire 600: FPGA A600 Accelerator Preorder
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;744458
Akiko done right might be a nice addition, where instead of writing the chunky pixel to the chip, then reading back the planar pixel and copying that data to the bitmap... Perhaps one could simply set a pointer to the chunky buffer in fast ram, then set it off to automatically copy and covert the buffer to chipram as planar data :)

Kalms released code that does chunky-planar faster than Akiko could do it. lol

http://code.google.com/p/unitedstatesofamiga/downloads/list
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:26:24 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini