Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS  (Read 1655 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744111
I do not want to start a "political" discussion about MorphOS.

Look at the change-logs of MorphOS, lots of new classes and all closed source. And both Ambient and f.e. OWB depend on them. You know how long it already needs to update Zune to MUI3.8., now imagine AROS trying to compete with MorphOS on base of closed source components. We need real opensource components, and "real" means for me including all dependencies. That is not the case for Ambient and will never happen. I already said that the base functionality from both Ambient and Magellan is very similar (I cannot compare in detail because I do not own MorphOS). So from my side to try to port Ambient is a waste of time. In AROS camp there are limited resources so it should be concentrated on where it makes most sense.


Might be a waste of time for you but you aren't a programmer.

The fact is there are parts of MUI4 and MorphOS that need to be cloned so that Ambient will compile on AROS.

You aren't privvy to every conversation nor development that goes on behind closed doors....
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744110
It's GPL is it not?

"It will never replace Wanderer as the default on AROS x86 and i doubt it  will replace Workbook as the default on AROS 68k either."

What do you mean with "GPL" here? It is under the same license as all AROS components (Poseidon and so on). If you mean replace Wanderer in nightly builds then No or replace Wanderer on distributions then yes. And people use distributions and not nightly builds.
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744113
all dependencies (LIBS, MUI-Classes) are opensource too? Yes or No?


You know they aren't. They need to be cloned.

As I said, you aren't privvy to things others might be.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744115
"It will never replace Wanderer as the default on AROS x86 and i doubt it  will replace Workbook as the default on AROS 68k either."

What do you mean with "GPL" here? It is under the same license as all AROS components (Poseidon and so on). If you mean replace Wanderer in nightly builds then No or replace Wanderer on distributions then yes. And people use distributions and not nightly builds.


Read my words again.

I said "AROS" not "a collection of software that includes some AROS components".

Anyway, I just checked the licence of Magellan and it's APL not GPL so in theory it could replace Wanderer as the default.

I still doubt it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744114
Might be a waste of time for you but you aren't a programmer.

The fact is there are parts of MUI4 and MorphOS that need to be cloned so that Ambient will compile on AROS.

You aren't privvy to every conversation nor development that goes on behind closed doors....

I tried to discuss and was bashed for it. I am realistic and only use what is available. What someone discusses "behind closed doors" is nothing I (or anyone else) can include in a distribution. If the people who "talk behind closed doors" want that other people judge and support it they have to communicate it...
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744119
I tried to discuss and was bashed for it. I am realistic and only use what is available. What someone discusses "behind closed doors" is nothing I (or anyone else) can include in a distribution. If the people who "talk behind closed doors" want that other people judge and support it they have to communicate it...


So don't try and speak with authority when you have none. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744117
Read my words again.

I said "AROS" not "a collection of software that includes some AROS components".

Anyway, I just checked the licence of Magellan and it's APL not GPL so in theory it could replace Wanderer as the default.

I still doubt it.

Nightly builds No, AROS devs (what I saw) do not want any changes. Distribution maintainers can decide what they want.
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744120
So don't try and speak with authority when you have none. ;)

And you have no authority to speak for distribution maintainers :D

I speak for myself but I got some feedback so I am pretty sure that the others (distribution maintainers) think similar. If Aros devs do not communicate people decide for themselves
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:16:59 PM by OlafS3 »
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744122
And you have no authority to speak for distribution maintainers :D

I didn't speak of any distribution, I only spoke of AROS.

Quote
I speak for myself but I got some feedback so I am pretty sure that the others (distribution maintainers) think similar. If Aros devs do not communicate people decide for themselves

I can't speak for the AROS core devs as I'm not one of them, but I can speak regarding my own private conversations with other developers regarding improving AROS/ZUNE to have the required functionality that enables it to run Ambient.

Hence my original statement:
Quote
Personally I think a better bounty would be to add the missing parts to AROS and ZUNE needed to enable Ambient to compile as it's much better than Magellan.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline wawrzon

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
peace, bros.

olaf is apparently investing a lot of time to configure magellan well as aros68k desktop. its his project, very much worth support as long as wnaderer isnt prime time ready. he wants other aros platforms to take advantage of his work. isnt that positive and noble;) ?

now, if someone else makes ambient available for aros, its another question, why not?

and whatever desktop is going to be used on aros, shouldnt that be a users choice? why quarrel upon it?
 

Offline wawrzon

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744123
Personally I think a better bounty would be to add the missing parts to AROS and ZUNE needed to enable Ambient to compile as it's much better than Magellan.

zune upgrade is en course since long, but progressing very slowly. you probably know.
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;744124
peace, bros.

olaf is apparently investing a lot of time to configure magellan well as aros68k desktop. its his project, very much worth support as long as wnaderer isnt prime time ready. he wants other aros platforms to take advantage of his work. isnt that positive and noble;) ?

now, if someone else makes ambient available for aros, its another question, why not?

and whatever desktop is going to be used on aros, shouldnt that be a users choice? why quarrel upon it?


No quarrel, I just think it was a language issue.  I forget that English isn't everyone's first language quite often.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline OlafS3

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744123
I didn't speak of any distribution, I only spoke of AROS.



I can't speak for the AROS core devs as I'm not one of them, but I can speak regarding my own private conversations with other developers regarding improving AROS/ZUNE to have the required functionality that enables it to run Ambient.

Hence my original statement:

You have your opinion and I (and others theirs). I do not have to do what the "Aros devs" (or anyone else) wants. So please accept that others have different opinions. You are free to create a bounty for that and donate. If these devlopers of your "private conversations" are so interested it should have high priority then. Otherwise it is a private opinion that is as valid as mine with the difference that "my way" will lead to results in near future (after how long not updating Wanderer?).
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744127
You have your opinion and I (and others theirs). I do not have to do what the "Aros devs" (or anyone else) wants. So please accept that others have different opinions. You are free to create a bounty for that and donate. If these devlopers of your "private conversations" are so interested it should have high priority then. Otherwise it is a private opinion that is as valid as mine with the difference that "my way" will lead to results in near future (after how long not updating Wanderer?).


I believe Kalamatee has updated Wanderer quite considerably but hasn't released his changes and might not release them at all due to becoming dissillusioned with AROS development (As I understand it anyway, I hope he has a change of heart).

Regardless,  I still believe Ambient to be a better desktop than Workbench/Wanderer/Magellan after using it for several hours per day for the last two or three months.

Magellan might be a great fit for your distro and it's obviously better than Workbench (I had fully paid for registered copy myself back in the day) but I'd still prefer to see Ambient on AROS, even though it will never be in the core repo due to being GPL.

My reasoning is because the improvements needed to enable Ambient on AROS will provide a lot more to AROS than just a possible port of Ambient.  It will improve the whole OS a great deal.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;744125
zune upgrade is en course since long, but progressing very slowly. you probably know.


We need a wizard to conjure up magic spells for it. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini