Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 49876 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Ease off bashing Amiga x1000?
« Reply #179 from previous page: July 26, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742299
as you certainly know my main interest is AROS and it is open. I do not know if there is any support regarding Zune but I am not involved there so I cannot say.

I know that there were a lot of bashings and negativ emotions between expecially devlopers of AmigaOS and MorphOS. But whatever the reasons are and who has caused it and is to blame the result is that all 3 platforms are similar but in details very different so that most developers are only supporting one platform in the end. Examples are differences in GUI (MUI4, Zune, MUI3.9/Reaction), RTG (Cybergraphics3, Cybergraphics5, P96). The list is endless and if you dig a little and compare even similar things are solved different and of course incompatible. At the end it forces developers to decide for one platform.

True, although Zune is pretty close.
Reaction seems a bit cruder, but like said I'm sure Stefan Stuntz wouldn't mind being paid for another MUI4 port.
We all use a similar USB stack.
All three OS' are 3.1 API compatible.
There isn't that much difference.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
Stefan Stuntz still lives? I tried to register MUI last year, the payment worked but I did not get any answer. I also sent a email and got no answer too. Hardly creating trust at me...

A basic question. MUI4 is property of Stuntz and licensed to MorphOS-Team and still in development by him?

I know of developers who maintain different sourcecodes what is not very efficient. And the problem are not the "big" differences but the small ones (f.e. CybergraphX related). I experienced that a couple of times when testing 68k applications and games on AROS 68k. It can be non-implemented AROS routines or different behavior/parameters. Often small differences can causes crashes (or at least non-working software) and are difficult to find if you do not know the different OSs. New developers from outside (who we will hopefully win in future) will not be willing to invest lots of time testing their software on different platforms and decide for one platform (they see the most potential in). Alternativ there are multi-platforms tools too who hide the differences but these tools are mostly not suited for every task. So by forcing developers to decide for MorphOS or against it could strike back on them depending on the situation.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:15:03 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742347
Stefan Stuntz still lives? I tried to register MUI last year, the payment worked but I did not get any answer. I also sent a email and got no answer too. Hardly creating trust at me...

A basic question. MUI4 is property of Stuntz and licensed to MorphOS-Team and still in development by him?

I know of developers who maintain different sourcecodes what is not very efficient. And the problem are not the "big" differences but the small ones (f.e. CybergraphX related). I experienced that a couple of times when testing 68k applications and games on AROS 68k. It can be non-implemented AROS routines or different behavior/parameters. Often small differences can causes crashes (or at least non-working software) and are difficult to find if you do not know the different OSs. New developers from outside (who we will hopefully win in future) will not be willing to invest lots of time testing their software on different platforms and decide for one platform (they see the most potential in). Alternativ there are multi-platforms tools too who hide the differences but these tools are mostly not suited for every task. So by forcing developers to decide for MorphOS or against it could strike back on them depending on the situation.

I believe that the MorphOS developers stopped paying him and that he is no longer actively working for them.
But I have heard some rumblings in the OS4 community about licensing a version.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Haranguer

• Show only replies by Haranguer
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
Stefan is still alive and programming, but, sadly, his A3000 isn't, so he's having a little trouble generating personalised licences for MUI.  I emailed him and he provided a workaround.

As to the topic of the thread - keep bashing the X1000.  Those of us who have one (myself included) need someone to laugh at.  The X1000 rocks :-)

Offline antikk

• Show only replies by antikk
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
What do you put in coders? Coding apps or working on os sources?

Quote from: nicholas;742270
It's mostly a complete rewrite from scratch. Why do you think it took them so long to release the first version?

Even the Frieden brothers stated this on Ann.lu many years ago.

I was asking for names of coders. Let me start it off with a few, Ralph Schmidt, Frank Mariak, Harry Sintonen, Stefan Stuntz.

Your turn. ;)

Benji boy put paid to any chance of that a long time ago.

No but I have Bosnian family members. :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »
bashing "X1000" is a old hat, we need new targets now :-)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
Quote from: Haranguer;742353
Stefan is still alive and programming, but, sadly, his A3000 isn't, so he's having a little trouble generating personalised licences for MUI.  I emailed him and he provided a workaround.
isnt uae enough for the task, how about donating a replacement to him in exchange for open sourcing mui?;)

btw one could even donate him an x1k or some bike, although a bike might be too expensive;) i speaking from aros supporter perspective, since the genuine part of mui stunz is responsible for is still unmatched by zune and might be taken as fast reference. on the other hand im not sure if os4 users need anything like that, given 3.9 is already incorporated in their system.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:24:41 PM by wawrzon »

Offline Iggy

Re: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
I don't think Stefan is going to open source MUI.
Although, if we are all really serious, a new MUI with cross platform support would be nice.

Maybe we should buy him an X2000 when they come out.
Actually, come to think of it a dual core PowerMac might serve as well.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »

I don't think Stefan is going to open source MUI.

perhaps, but if not, why not? if he isnt active anymore greater one time refund might be more satisfying than selling one mui license in two months at remaining interested or even bothering to amintain/delete the email traffic on the subject. would be a gain for both sides.

Actually, come to think of it a dual core PowerMac might serve as well.

fine. tell me when to chip in.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
Quote from: vox;742282
Surely now, but it started with OS 3.0 source ....

A rewrite means that it was written from scratch, no different to AROS or MorphOS.

http://www.morphos.de/team

As you do know, we poor bastards stand just with Frieden brothers and few other good men :-)

However, if you do take AmigaOS as continuation of AmigaOS, list looks good. And have some similar names.

Sadly its not the case today.

I don't take AmigaOS as a continuation of the Amiga OS. Firstly because it's a rewrite (Remember The Friedens vs Hyperion court case?), secondly if it were it would have the legal right to use the Amiga trademark, which it doesn't.

MorphOS started as a rewrite of the Amiga OS by the "superstar" coders of the Amiga scene who had spent the 90's keeping our beloved platform alive.  OS4 started because a greedy wannabe lawyer and a greedy truck driver wanted to milk as much money as they could from what was remaining of our community.

Unfortunately for Billy and Benji most of the best coders had already started the MorphOS project and they were left with hardly anyone of note to write their Amiga OS clone "AmigaOS".

Well, there is always hope of small market for example making people working together.

The AROS and MorphOS teams have already worked together for years.

Soon I ll start thinking everyone has a Bosnian family  :-)

Well I would have even more but the Chetniks brutally raped and murdered them.

But that's a story for the Coffee House forum methinks.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742292
Also, MorphOS is a commercial product. You wouldn't want your source code copied. That was a unjustified charge Dave Haynie made about Ralph Schmidt's work years ago.

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/morphoscritics.html
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
The sad part is that a functional version of MorphOS was available years before.

So we really didn't need OS4.
We had a PPC OS and an X86 OS.
All this duplication of effort is not the fault of them teams that worked on those.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742349
I believe that the MorphOS developers stopped paying him and that he is no longer actively working for them.
But I have heard some rumblings in the OS4 community about licensing a version.

As I remember it Genesi stopped paying certain members of the MOS-Team (David Gerber etc).

MUI4 now belongs to the MOS-Team anyway and there isn't a cat in hell's chance that it will see a port to another OS no matter what Steven Solie may claim to the contrary.

> IIRC Stefan Stuntz actually did put an offer to Hyperion of licensing MUI at
> some point (like almost a decade ago), but it was turned down.

...by the MorphOS Team and/or Genesi, that is. You can re-read the story there:

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3234&forum=14

> Stefan Stuntz [...] made a re-entry and started to work on MUI 4 [...]. [...] Probably
> some money were involved from the MorphOS team for this "return of the Stuntz".

*Some* Genesi (or Thendic-France) money might indeed be the proper choice of words here ;-)

http://web.archive.org/web/20080719142959/http://www.morphos.net
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2005-01-00108-DE.html

http://www.morphzone.info/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9339&forum=3#102489

Offline Iggy

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
OK, so Steven isn't always the most reliable source.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;741609
The "bashing" in general was old as of day one, and has driven away many great members.  Good job, y'all.  :(

no it was not the bashing that drive me away. it actually was the high price, never finished drivers and os4 not out of the beta. that was what drive me away from my amiga hobby. you can squeeze people so much, but at some point its gonna snap peoples wallets and they will leave. that is what happen and not bashing and i was a great member. now i just do a little of aros/winuae and not much here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:07:06 PM by A1260 »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
Quote from: A1260;742435
no it was not the bashing that drive me away. it actually was the high price, never finished drivers and os4 not out of the beta. that was what drive me away from my amiga hobby. you can squeeze people so much, but at some point its gonna snap peoples wallets and they will leave. that is what happen and not bashing and i was a great member. now i just do a little of aros/winuae and not much here.

Agreed, milking it for every penny was foolish.
It defeated the OS' long term chance for survival.