Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: New to Amiga OS and need help  (Read 2292 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SSRockman83

New to Amiga OS and need help
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »
I bought Amiga Forever and have been playing with it off and on for some time, but I've barely figured out how to do much with the workbenches. I grew up using GEOS on an old C64 my family has, and learned to use Windows and Mac pretty well in school, but with Amiga there's a lot of things I simply haven't been able to figure out how to do. For example, I would like to set a different backdrop on Workbench 3.x. I figured out where to change the backdrop in the preferences, but I don't know what file types I can use of how to get images to begin with to set up as a backdrop. I know using an emulator isn't the same as using the actual system.

I've checked used book stores in my area for Amiga books with no luck. I've also searched the web, but all I keep finding are pdfs of old programming books, and the Amiga videos I find on Youtube haven't helped much. I also tried the links on the Tutorial list thread, but half of them are dead to begin with and the ones that are active don't really give me the information I need. I need something on the lines of "Amiga for Dummies".

Any suggestions?
 

Offline ChaosLord

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
A plain jane old Workbench is probably limited to only .iff files in 256 colors and that is just not what u want.

Since you are using a virtual Amiga I strongly recommend you go here:
http://amikit.amiga.sk/index.php

And download AmikitOS for free.  Its the ultimate fully loaded Amiga.  It has all the little goodies preinstalled and configured for you.

Once you have that you can use any filetype u can think of for the backdrop.
.png, .jpg, .iff .etc

And you'll be able to use fast hires gfx card modes in 16 million colors instead of lame old 256.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA
 

Offline bbond007

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;738243

Since you are using a virtual Amiga I strongly recommend you go here:
http://amikit.amiga.sk/index.php



Actually, AmigaForever will go download / install/  configure both Amikit and AmiSYS as well as a few others automatically under the "system" tab...
 

Offline Rob

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
Amigakit probably makes Workbench usage a lot more intuitive than the basic setup  by cloanto.

You could always get one of the Workbench 3 manuals that are on Ebay at the moment.  I also found this site but I'm not sure of the legality of the downloads or whether they are geared more towards older version of Workbench
 

Offline paul1981

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »
Quote from: SSRockman83;738242
I bought Amiga Forever and have been playing with it off and on for some time, but I've barely figured out how to do much with the workbenches. I grew up using GEOS on an old C64 my family has, and learned to use Windows and Mac pretty well in school, but with Amiga there's a lot of things I simply haven't been able to figure out how to do. For example, I would like to set a different backdrop on Workbench 3.x. I figured out where to change the backdrop in the preferences, but I don't know what file types I can use of how to get images to begin with to set up as a backdrop. I know using an emulator isn't the same as using the actual system.

I've checked used book stores in my area for Amiga books with no luck. I've also searched the web, but all I keep finding are pdfs of old programming books, and the Amiga videos I find on Youtube haven't helped much. I also tried the links on the Tutorial list thread, but half of them are dead to begin with and the ones that are active don't really give me the information I need. I need something on the lines of "Amiga for Dummies".

Any suggestions?

This is a pretty good introductory book to Workbench & AmigaDOS (Version 3.0): http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/amiga/books/pdf/A1200_Insider_Guide_Series.zip

Downloadable books on all subjects in Amiga section:
http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/

And another good source here:
http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/amiga.php

There's much better Workbench books around, but you'll have to pick them up from Ebay or something as I don't see them available for download on either of those sites I've linked to.
 

Offline Rob

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:37 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;738255
This is a pretty good introductory book to Workbench & AmigaDOS (Version 3.0): http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/amiga/books/pdf/A1200_Insider_Guide_Series.zip

Downloadable books on all subjects in Amiga section:
http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/

And another good source here:
http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/amiga.php

There's much better Workbench books around, but you'll have to pick them up from Ebay or something as I don't see them available for download on either of those sites I've linked to.


Thanks Paul, I meant to link the bombjack site and somehow forgot to.
 

Offline Iggy

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:43 AM »
And you guys thought nobody new adopted an interest in Amiga.I didn't have one when they were current either.
This is just one way to keep my interest in the 68K processor alive (using the best 68K system made).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline SSRockman83

Re: New to Amiga OS and need help
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 01:28:55 AM »
Thanks for all the answers! Usually, I don't get responces on forums. I did find one video on youtube yesterday that helped me on some things... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fBvRBTmCzI) I really appreciate all the links and informaton you all had given. I'll check all of it out.
 
 
Quote from: Iggy;738277
And you guys thought nobody new adopted an interest in Amiga. I didn't have one when they were current either.
This is just one way to keep my interest in the 68K processor alive (using the best 68K system made).

Well, I was 10 years old when Commodore shut down and my family was too poor to replace our C64 and C128s until around 1998-1999. I was given the old Commodores to play with.
 
I've never been happy with the Windows computers and Mac has been okay for me. I got interested in using the C64 regularly again after getting increasingly frustrated with the other systems and the fact it's outlasted every other computer I've had. I started researching Commodore some years back. One thing led to another and I got the Amiga Forever. I'm teaching myself animation and from what I've seen of the Amigas capabilities and after trying some of the art programs on the emulator I'm seriously thinking about picking up a A1200, or one of the new computers running OS4, or one of the alternative OSs to do my work on. I was thinking about switiching to Linux, but I'm really drawn to Amiga.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:57:56 AM by SSRockman83 »