Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game supporting multiple buttons  (Read 3078 times)

Description:

Offline mrknightTopic starter

• Show only replies by mrknight
Game supporting multiple buttons
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:26:37 AM »
I'm in the process of rewiring a Sega Mega Drive controller to use with my Amiga. As it is now, I can use button B and C on the controller (Button 1 and Button 2 on the Amiga) without further modifications. I'm thinking of rewiring so C is Up. Good for games with jumping. I prefer to have the jump button on the right side of the fire button (I'm an old NES player!). This would be easiest but I would loose one button.

That's the background, now for the question. Most game as far as I can remember only supported one joystick button and Up was commonly used for jumping in platform games. Did any game support multiple buttons, and if so, which games?

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
Re: Game supporting multiple buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:45:47 AM »
Flashback
Street Fighter 2
Sqrxz 1 & 2
Hired Guns (supports 3 buttons with mod)
Doom (supports 6 buttons with 6 button controller and mod)
ADescent
Chaos Engine (CD32 version)
Lotus II (CD32 version)

A Sega controller C button is the same as the CD32 blue button (B=CD32 red). There are also an increasing number of WHDLoad, JST and hard drive installable versions of games that support 2 buttons. You might be able to switch wires so C uses the A button and wire up to C (original A).

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:57:23 AM »
I think Alien Breed Tower Assault did. You push a button and then start walking backwards.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:46:27 AM »
I rewired a Nintendo controller for use with Turrican II.  I wish I still remembered how I had it laid out.  I'm not sure how anyone played through that series without one.

Here's a list I found:
ADoom
Agony (WHDLoad version / original?)
Aladdin
Alien Breed 2
Alien Breed - Tower Assault
Apidya
Banshee
Battle Squadron (WHDLoad version)
BC Kid
Brutal Sports Football
Bubba'n'Stick
Bubble and Squeak
Cool Spot
Desert Strike (WHDLoad version)
Dragonstone
Fightin' Spirit
Fire and Ice
Flashback
Football Glory
The Great Giana Sisters
Hybris (WHDLoad version)
Leander
Lionheart
Lollypop
Mega Typhoon
Mercs
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Powder
Project X
R-Type
R-Type 2
Shadow Fighter
Skeleton Krew
Street Fighter 2
Turrican
Turrican II
Turrican 3
Virocop
Xtreme Racing

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »
I still need to get round to making that Megadrive pad adapter... in theory it should be possible to program to use all the buttons if only two wires are swapped round. Not that that will help with existing games, but I hope to be able to take advantage of it in future.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline mrknightTopic starter

• Show only replies by mrknight
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
thanks for the help! That was a fair number of games supporting two buttons. I did rewire the  controller yesterday so A=Up, B=Buttion 1 and C=Button 2 and tried to  play Turrican 2. It's really hard jumping on the 'wrong' button so I  started using up instead. Still hard. I guess the quality of the  controller didn't help the experience (very cheap stuff).

I have bought two original Mega Drive controller but I will leave them  unmodified. But I will make an adapted using an AVR (ATtiny2313 seems ok  for the task) and then I can read all the buttons and map it however I  want. And maybe add a switch or two to select modes. Hopefully this solution will be much better for the playing experience.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;734247
I still need to get round to making that Megadrive pad adapter... in theory it should be possible to program to use all the buttons if only two wires are swapped round. Not that that will help with existing games, but I hope to be able to take advantage of it in future.

The ADoom manual recommends swapping pins 5 & 7 and putting a 470 ohm resistor between them. Hired Guns and ADoom support 3 buttons then. I recall some emulators did also. None of the buttons map to other CD32 buttons so different code has to be used to read a 3 or 6 button Sega controller than a CD32 controller.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;734247

How's Mr Beanbag doing? Has there been any recent updates? :)

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
Quote from: matthey;734332
The ADoom manual recommends swapping pins 5 & 7 and putting a 470 ohm resistor between them. Hired Guns and ADoom support 3 buttons then. I recall some emulators did also. None of the buttons map to other CD32 buttons so different code has to be used to read a 3 or 6 button Sega controller than a CD32 controller.
I read elsewhere it's recommended to use diodes as well because the Sega pad pulls lines up to +5V whereas the Amiga only expects connections to ground.

The code is much simpler than reading a CD32 pad, the extra buttons are simply multiplexed. Unlike the CD32 which uses some kind of serial protocol.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;734367
How's Mr Beanbag doing? Has there been any recent updates? :)
I've made it so you can load in special levels from the main menu, and fixed a couple of bugs, but not uploaded anything lately, really should upload something soon.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;734427
I've made it so you can load in special levels from the main menu, and fixed a couple of bugs, but not uploaded anything lately, really should upload something soon.

Looking forward to it... Thanks for the update.