Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls  (Read 4550 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline iamaboringperson

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2004, 12:06:25 AM »
Quote
1) refining the rules?
1)Sure, however the rules are fine for the most part. Enforcing the rules would be better IMO

Quote
2) Getting stricter? (good idea or bad?
Very very very very good idea :)

Quote
3) Re-hashing the forums into a new schema to include more forums for personal discussion?
Nah, pointless :)

Quote
My idea is NOT to stifle discussion, but to make it more enjoyable and more.... intelligent
That's exactly what I want to see
I'm sick of seeing spamming


Perhaps here is a good idea:

Filter out <21 y/o's by asking a question that they can't answer honestly (during the new user account screen)
e.g.
During the early 80's which Atari/Intellivision game did you play most often?

If they can't answer that, they can't be old enough to post in sensible stuff talk-about

:)
 

Offline iamaboringperson

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2004, 12:09:09 AM »
Quote
There has to be some level of moderation or anarchy will reign.
That's exactly the problem some aren't getting :(
 

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2004, 12:20:24 AM »
Quote

iamaboringperson wrote:
During the early 80's which Atari/Intellivision game did you play most often?
:)
Naah, rather a question like: what's the most famous book Dante wrote? (answer: Utopia, damn, I can't get those characters upside-down)
Or what is the latin name for donkey? (answer: Equus Asinus) or that of a horse? (answer: Equus Caballus if I remember it well)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'
 

Offline odin

  • Colonization had Galleons
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 6795
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2004, 12:26:44 AM »
Quote
Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Quote
iamaboringperson wrote:
During the early 80's which Atari/Intellivision game did you play most often?:)
Naah, rather a question like: what's the most famous book Dante wrote? (Utopia it is, damn, I can't get those characters upside-down)

Google will find any and all answers.....

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2004, 12:29:26 AM »
Quote

odin wrote:
Quote
Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Quote
iamaboringperson wrote:
During the early 80's which Atari/Intellivision game did you play most often?:)
Naah, rather a question like: what's the most famous book Dante wrote? (Utopia it is, damn, I can't get those characters upside-down)

Google will find any and all answers.....
Yup, so these questions should be asked personally, like an interview.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'
 

Offline Cyberus

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2004, 12:35:50 AM »
Nice ideas guys, but a little impractical don't you think?

How about asking people to type Speelgoedmannetje's nick without looking it up or cutting and pasting ;-)
I like Amigas
 

Offline iamaboringperson

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2004, 12:38:15 AM »
People should provide proof of ID while joining (or just proof of age)

Or perhaps that should only be for talk-alot
 

Offline MarkTime

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2004, 01:38:18 AM »
Quote
Once upon a time, Amiga.org's DMZ was a place of lively and intelligent discussion which actually BROUGHT people back to the site on a daily basis. Now the same people who used to post such great inciteful posts have seemingly disappeared.


gosh Wayne, I'm embarassed.

Listen, why don't you just ask me to come back and see what comes of it?

...but seriously...I think there are still a lot of intelligent people in these forum's...just not a lot of intelligent things to say..(how 'bout dem bears, comes to mind).

the problem is NOT trolls.  The fact is, the old community had trolls.  the bus arch troll...George Noel...back in the day Tim Rue was a troll GOD....now he's so much calmer, but I miss those old days.

we do need a growing community...now that genesi has moved on to morphos-news.de and amiga, inc. seems dead...we are going back into a lull period.

c'mon aros guys...your turn to save us.
 

Offline that_punk_guy

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2004, 01:41:11 AM »
Quote

Cyberus wrote:
Nice ideas guys, but a little impractical don't you think?

How about asking people to type Speelgoedmannetje's nick without looking it up or cutting and pasting ;-)


I can do that! :-D
 

Offline BouncingAyatollah

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2004, 04:52:08 AM »
Why not just a "trashbin" thread? Crap posts get moved there, make it read only, a script cleans it up every week/fortnight/month?

Users get x strikes and you're out (where x 1 > average of moderators' temperance), i.e. more actively enforce the "we give warnings" part. An invalid/continually bouncing e-mail address gets a PM, if a PM is not answered in y days, then a public reply, if no response after z days, account suspended (suspended in case user on holiday etc.) After final quarantine period account deleted.
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2004, 12:09:35 PM »
Quote

MarkTime wrote:
Quote
Once upon a time, Amiga.org's DMZ was a place of lively and intelligent discussion which actually BROUGHT people back to the site on a daily basis. Now the same people who used to post such great inciteful posts have seemingly disappeared.


gosh Wayne, I'm embarassed.

Listen, why don't you just ask me to come back and see what comes of it?

...but seriously...I think there are still a lot of intelligent people in these forum's...just not a lot of intelligent things to say..(how 'bout dem bears, comes to mind).

the problem is NOT trolls.  The fact is, the old community had trolls.  the bus arch troll...George Noel...back in the day Tim Rue was a troll GOD....now he's so much calmer, but I miss those old days.

we do need a growing community...now that genesi has moved on to morphos-news.de and amiga, inc. seems dead...we are going back into a lull period.

c'mon aros guys...your turn to save us.


Ok, then... everyones first 5 posts a month should be AROS related; praise, critisize, bug/feature report, bug/feature request, user support, development help... etc... if that doesn't start up interesting (for me at least) disscusion then nothing will :-D

Offline Cyberus

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »
The only thing about the email addresses in the profile, is that I changed mine to a spoof one, because my email was getting overloaded with spam as a result, about ten emails a day.....
I like Amigas
 

Offline jamesm

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2004, 12:40:08 PM »
Whirlpool has a good forum setup.
 

Offline CU_AMiGA

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2004, 02:26:13 PM »
Like someone said earlier, i think the best discission would be to have a "trashbin, goofing around"  thread so that people could post crap there. The posts on there could be deleted every week or so, meaning that the storage won't be so large. I am saying this cos i feel that i have also played a part in this fracas. Sorry.
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD