Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls  (Read 4640 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 09:59:48 PM »
Left alone... natural order will prevail :-)

Offline mikeymike

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 10:07:40 PM »
Quote
Left alone... natural order will prevail

Gently encouraged with cattle prods, so I've found :-)

Offline Dalamar

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 10:14:46 PM »
Quote

mikeymike wrote:
Quote
Redrumloa wrote:
I would have to guess that the 'anything goes' theme will be no more. Maybe changed to 'Any intelligent discussion' that is 1)In good taste, 2)legal, 3)Not for the sake only trolling alone. Maybe also add 4)Political arguements are allowed until they get unreasonably heated, at which time they will be closed.

and 5) posting guidelines still apply
and 6) users will be suspended for what moderators believe is attempting to up their post count for the sake of it.

Otherwise yeah, I think that sounds like a plan.

Hey red, you really ought to be a moderator, you know that? :P



Yeah.  What they said.   :-D
-Dal
[color=993300]\\"Stop blowing holes in my ship!!\\"[/color]
--------------------------------------------------------------
...
- A500/4000/3000
 

Offline Cyberus

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 10:21:41 PM »
I am inclined to agree with bloodline.

Perhaps if we make a joint effort to try and get some good conversations going. It only needs a decent thread or two to get some of the good old discussion back...
I like Amigas
 

Offline legion

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 10:40:49 PM »
Here's a crazy suggestion:  Start flying the MorphOS banner.  I assume when you say trolls, you mean 'red trolls' so why not just stop dancing around it and do it?  The red trolls already have a home at AW (see avatar), and now the blue trolls will have a home as well.

Seems plausible enough to me...  
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?
 

Offline Seehund

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 11:01:01 PM »
Quote

mikeymike wrote:
Quote
Left alone... natural order will prevail

Gently encouraged with cattle prods, so I've found :-)


:D

(The following is not in reply to mikeymike's post)
Don't confuse trolls with crapflooders. Trolls can be clever and amusing. They're almost the only reason I read the comments at /. One person's troll is another's comedian. On another site, "trolls" are those who openly disagree with the corporate agenda du jour.

The "Amiga community's" troll population is however generally of the annoying/retarded type. /ignore is my preferred solution and it really ought to be enough, but if they get agitated by the loss of attention they often transform to crapflooders (see Mr. "Interesting" and his split personalities who currently are plaguing the Moo Bunny), and should be dealt with accordingly.

How's this for an idea to make crapflooding at least a bit more difficult:

New members (chronologically "new", not measured by post count) can only make a limited number of posts per day, and start an even more limited number of new threads. The limit on posts in one thread could be set higher (e.g. a computer problem that creates a discussion going back and forth). These limits will increase as the newbie has been around for a while.

Of course the serious crapflooder will find ways around this (multiple accounts...) but it might stop those who misbehave out of cluelessness, not malice.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......
 

Offline redrumloa

  • Original Omega User
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 10126
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2004, 11:01:43 PM »
Quote

legion wrote:
Here's a crazy suggestion:  Start flying the MorphOS banner.  I assume when you say trolls, you mean 'red trolls' so why not just stop dancing around it and do it?  The red trolls already have a home at AW (see avatar), and now the blue trolls will have a home as well.

Seems plausible enough to me...  


Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, or you are just trying to still crap up for the sake of it. Wayne is talking about plain old fashioned trolling in 'Talk About', whiuch is not even displayed on the main page. Discusion in there, by it's very nature, has nothing to do with Amiga, MOS or anything else.

What YOU are doing right now is another type of trolling which Wayne was not even talking about.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!
 

Offline redrumloa

  • Original Omega User
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 10126
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »
Quote
Hey red, you really ought to be a moderator, you know that? :P


I offered to return and was politely turned down. No problem, I still would be concerned about there being a conflict of interest.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!
 

Offline mikeymike

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2004, 11:07:52 PM »
Quote
Here's a crazy suggestion: Start flying the MorphOS banner. I assume when you say trolls, you mean 'red trolls' so why not just stop dancing around it and do it? The red trolls already have a home at AW (see avatar), and now the blue trolls will have a home as well.

I loathe the expression, but "RTFM" is in order.  Wayne is talking about talk-about, not computer-related subjects, let alone Amiga/A1/MorphOS/AROS.

And I find your comment highly offensive for reasons that should be bloody obvious.

  • Guest
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 11:07:55 PM »
One point though guys.

There have been a lot of good ideas, but most require a major amount of changes to the core structure of the way the forum software works.  This is something we can't really do, or we'll have to go back and reinvent the wheel later (as we're having to do now) when it's time to upgrade again.

I was thinking more along the lines of

1) refining the rules?
2) Getting stricter? (good idea or bad?)
3) Re-hashing the forums into a new schema to include more forums for personal discussion?

That sort of thing.
{edit} My idea is NOT to stifle discussion, but to make it more enjoyable and more.... intelligent

Wayne
 

Offline Methuselas

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2004, 11:11:37 PM »
Hey Wayne, couldn't you have the posts expire in the DMZ, like the polls? I mean, yeah, they ARE fun to read, but if they get to big, I'm sure they cause server problems.

After all, the DMZ is just that, the DMZ. There's nothing really there that is of a viable argument to store for an extended period of time. Originally, I had thought that you could just have them expire, after not being read for some time, but after someone figure's out the limit, it wouldn't take much for them to 'bump' it and make it's time reset.

Then again, I know next to NOTHING about the server software you're using. You could also make the DMZ a place for individuals that have exceeded a number of posts. That wouldn't stop the quagmire of post count raising, but it may help.

I'd rather not lose it all together, however. Some of my best laughs have come from that forum. :-?
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtfm: (I didn\'t ask, obviously......) :lol:
 

  • Guest
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2004, 11:29:33 PM »
Quote
I offered to return and was politely turned down


I don't recall turning you down in regards to moderation.  I remember the partnership issue however, perhaps we're mixing and matching those two things?
 

  • Guest
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 11:31:01 PM »
Quote
Hey Wayne, couldn't you have the posts expire in the DMZ, like the polls?
No.  Xoops doesn't offer this feature.

Wayne
 

Offline redrumloa

  • Original Omega User
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 10126
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 11:39:37 PM »
Quote

Wayne wrote:
Quote
I offered to return and was politely turned down


I don't recall turning you down in regards to moderation.  I remember the partnership issue however, perhaps we're mixing and matching those two things?


I wouldn't confuse that, definately different occasions. I'm not complaining, just a off hand reply:-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!
 

Offline Methuselas

Re: Fixing the problems with the forums and trolls
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 11:40:43 PM »
Quote
1) refining the rules?


I always thought the rules were quite fine, but I may be wrong.

Quote
2) Getting stricter? (good idea or bad?)


It depends on how it goes. I can tell you that *I*, personally, would go through withdrawals if I got banned from A.org for a week or so. I don't see how that could backfire either, 'cos the more out of line or rowdy  they get about it, the more they're banned.

Quote
3) Re-hashing the forums into a new schema to include more forums for personal discussion?


I LIKE this idea. Call it the 'Gibberish Section' or something that's exclusively for the humor and guffaw of the Amiga.org members. THAT would cut down on the DMZ posting and those that could care less about those particular threads, wouldn't need or bother to go.

I will admit that I have been WAY out there on my posts at times (thank GOD no one's fragged me for some of them. :-D) , but what Amiga user out there ISN'T way out there??!?? Maybe the Mods should lock threads more often or just outright give warning, 'Hey...it's getting a bit out of hand.' and kick 'em for a time, if they don't listen. I mean, if  I said something that was out of line (which I assume I have not) and got kicked for a time for it, I'd have no one to blame, but myself.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtfm: (I didn\'t ask, obviously......) :lol: