Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000  (Read 8385 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Duce

  • Off to greener pastures
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 1699
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
Quote from: mikeymike;686513
@ takemehomegrandma

Isn't that an image of a PowerMac G4?  Weren't those about $3000 USD new?


Don't confuse him with facts or we are likely to get more graphs and diagrams based on false logic and tall tales.  

:lol:
 

Offline takemehomegrandma

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
Quote from: mikeymike;686513
@ takemehomegrandma

Isn't that an image of a PowerMac G4?  Weren't those about $3000 USD new?


Who knows, who cares, they cost about $25-$250 now, mostly seem around the $100 mark, give or take. And redrumloa just got a cheap CPU replacement for his, probably putting it among the fastest PPC *migas available now... :)


Quote from: Kesa;686514
What is an A1X1K?


Try to figure it out! :) (Hint, it's a short for the name of the machine the topic is about ;))


Quote from: Duce;686515
Don't confuse him with facts or we are likely to get more graphs and diagrams based on false logic and tall tales.


Sorry, can't help you there... :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)
 

Offline Piru

  • \' union select name,pwd--
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2002
  • Posts: 6946
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
Quote from: Duce;686515
graphs and diagrams based on false logic and tall tales.

Which graphs you're referring to?

Any of the below have something wrong with them?

lame benchmark


mplayer benchmark


dnetc benchmark


blender benchmark


68k emulation benchmark
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:22:26 PM by Piru »
 

Offline billyfish

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
Quote
Sorry, can't help you there... :)


With the content of your posts on threads such as these, I'm fairly sure you can't help me anywhere! :-)

Seriously, why are you so bothered by the X1000? Why do you care so much if people want to buy it or not? I'm genuinely interested in your motivation. It doesn't make any difference to me if people want to buy this, a power mac or a dead parrot as long as they're happy with their purchase, that's great.

As for any performance of the X1000, I quote from http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=580

"Given the rushed nature of this AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 release, there are still some bugs and a few rough edges. Remember, the X1000 was originally planned to be released only with AmigaOS 4.2 installed. Also please keep in mind most of the X1000 system is still unoptimized. This is truly the most powerful Amiga Operating System hardware platform ever released and we plan to utilize this hardware to its full potential in due course."

Basically wait until the software is fully optimized for the X1000 before analysing performance too deeply.
 

Offline persia

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
There is an almost magical number of 500, €500, £500, US$500, AUD500, that people are willing to part with fairly easily on technology.  There's a reason for the iPad's USD499 price.  A 500 level price on new AmigaOS equipment would attract many of us who are not currently attracted to a £1900 machine.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.
 

Offline mikeymike

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686517
Who knows, who cares, they cost about $25-$250 now, mostly seem around the $100 mark, give or take.

So you're comparing two debatably over-priced items (when new), but to try and validate your point about price, you're comparing a second-hand approx. ten year old Mac with a brand-new X1000.

It would be almost a complete miracle for a company to manage to build a general-purpose computer that isn't x86/x64 for a sum that many wouldn't regard to be bad value compared to x86/x64.  I couldn't care less if people want to buy a Mac (or Amiga, or any other computer) despite a similar-spec PC costing significantly less.  If that purchase is satisfactory in their opinion, and dishonest claims aren't being made, I'm happy for those users.  I'm trying to figure out why you care so much that you regularly have to come here and troll, because that's what you're doing.  Having said that, I think it's more likely that you simply do it for your own amusement, hence your "who knows, who cares" comment.

Offline itix

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
Quote from: billyfish;686522
With the content of your posts on threads such as these, I'm fairly sure you can't help me anywhere! :-)

Seriously, why are you so bothered by the X1000? Why do you care so much if people want to buy it or not? I'm genuinely interested in your motivation. It doesn't make any difference to me if people want to buy this, a power mac or a dead parrot as long as they're happy with their purchase, that's great.

As for any performance of the X1000, I quote from http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=580

"Given the rushed nature of this AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 release, there are still some bugs and a few rough edges. Remember, the X1000 was originally planned to be released only with AmigaOS 4.2 installed. Also please keep in mind most of the X1000 system is still unoptimized. This is truly the most powerful Amiga Operating System hardware platform ever released and we plan to utilize this hardware to its full potential in due course."

Basically wait until the software is fully optimized for the X1000 before analysing performance too deeply.


Someone asked how much A1X1K costs and so far takemehomegrandma's answer was closest one.

The performance figure "A1X1K is roughly as fast as PowerMac" is also correct and not contradicting with the official Hyperion statement "the most powerful Amiga Operating System hardware platform ever released" at all. A1X1K is the fastest Amiga Operating System Hardware you can buy. Not fastest Amiga obviously but Hyperion never claimed that :-)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook
 

Offline itix

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
Quote from: darkage;686507
How much does the X1000 retail for ?


About $3200 if you are in the US.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook
 

Offline jorkany

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
Quote from: billyfish;686522
"Given the rushed nature of this AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 release, there are still some bugs and a few rough edges. Remember, the X1000 was originally planned to be released only with AmigaOS 4.2 installed. Also please keep in mind most of the X1000 system is still unoptimized. This is truly the most powerful Amiga Operating System hardware platform ever released and we plan to utilize this hardware to its full potential in due course."

Awesome! Maybe somebody can start a bounty to get the drivers written and OS4 out of beta!

By the way, whatever happened to the contractor who was writing the XMOS support for OS4?
 

Offline drHirudo

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Haha, it's always the same on Amiga dot org.

Thread about AmigaOS 4 software/hardware news appears, it's gets polluted very fast with MOS/Mac propaganda and derail in off-topic in no time.

This is not Vintage Mac forum. It's Amiga forum for discussing Amiga hardware/clones - Amiga 500, 1000, 1200, 4000, Minimig, Draco, AmigaOne, Sam etc., i.e. vintage and new machines.

Okay, to keep the tradition of going off topic - I am still waiting for my PowerBook to be able to run MOS.

Nobody wrote drivers for it yet? Maybe somebody can start a bounty to get the drivers written and MOS 3 out!

Offline CritAnime

  • Previous Life Time Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1143
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
I wish I had the money for one :(

Offline number6

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686517
Try to figure it out! :) (Hint, it's a short for the name of the machine the topic is about ;))Sorry, can't help you there... :)



Nope.
The topic is...
"Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000".

You obviously confused this with the "registering DISinterest" thread.
I assume the "can't help you there" was a cry for help in trying to understanding the actual thread topic.

#6
 

Offline billyfish

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
Quote from: itix
Someone asked how much A1X1K costs and so far takemehomegrandma's answer was closest one.


30 PowerMacs? As currency goes, it's a little bit cumbersome! :-)

Quote

The performance figure "A1X1K is roughly as fast as PowerMac" is also correct and not contradicting with the official Hyperion statement "the most powerful Amiga Operating System hardware platform ever released" at all. A1X1K is the fastest Amiga Operating System Hardware you can buy. Not fastest Amiga obviously but Hyperion never claimed that :-)


The relevant part was actually "Also please keep in mind most of the X1000 system is still unoptimized." My point is, as with any software, when it's in beta, it's not generally going to be running at the same speed as in its final polished state.
 

Offline darkage

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
Geeez $3200 USD!  I think I'll buy that 2nd hand car I've been thinking about instead.
 

Offline spirantho

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »
That's better. This thread is now complete.

I was worried for a moment, it seemed like the trolls had forgotten us. :)

Now can we please get back on topic?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!