Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: A Happy Story for the Holiday  (Read 1396 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
A Happy Story for the Holiday
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »
Late Christmas Eve I was celebrating in my preferred manner, namely at home with a large glass of rum and my girl friend.

Both of our laptops were on the table, with my one playing some documentary from the 4oD website... Then disaster happened. I knocked over my glass of rum... It flew majestically through the air and landed upside down upon the glowing keyboard of my 15" MacBook Pro. With a fizz and a pop, the machine went dead.

I paused for a second, with my instincts urging me to push the power button and make it work again, the tears welling up inside me, for this is not a new machine but with 8Gig RAM and a 2.8Hgz dual core processor I was hoping for at least 2 more years out of it... but somewhere deep in my brain, a voice kept me from hitting the power button. I yanked the power cord out, flipped the machine over and pulled the battery. OK, I thought, all power sources removed this is my last best hope.

I grabbed my tool kit and removed the back of the machine. Looking inside I found a fair bit of rum soaking the chips, so with the corner of some tissue paper I carefully soaked up all liquids I could see... Then I went to bed.

The next day my girl friend and I went down to see her mother, so I left the machine to "dry out" for the next 3 days. When we got home I check the board and it was clear of any liquid, so I attached the power cable to see if the indicator light would illuminate... it did not. Resigning myself to the inevitability of a new laptop purchase, I reassembled the laptop.

With the battery now in place I opted for one last try of the power button. Nothing.

Then my girlfriend, reached over and held the button down... the machine lurched into life... and appears to be working fine... also the sticky keys on the keyboard are now much less sticky! Win-Win!

So if you spill on your electronics, get the power off ASAP, and don't turn it on until you are sure it's dry.

Offline Krischan76

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;673234
So if you spill on your electronics, get the power off ASAP, and don't turn it on until you are sure it's dry.
Or drink pure alcohol since it does neither conduct electricity nor become sticky when dry. ;-)
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
HAHA! This happened me last year. I spilt sparkly wine on my laptop keyboard when just a wee little bit drunk. Not much more than a small amount went into the keyboard then it shut off after getting the blue screen of death. Luckily everything was OK except the hard drive and the sticky keyboard. The keyboard never became unsticky and was forced to replace the hard drive. When i opened it up the day after it happened the hard drive was all sticky and had stains of coffee powder :confused: all over it. I never unplugged it but i did try tipping it upside down.  

Also last year i went surfing and forgot to take my phone out my pocket and only realized it was in there as i walked out the water and noticed my thigh was vibrating. I tried putting it in a bowl of dry rice so the rice would absorb the water but nothing happened (i think that's a prank off the net). I learnt afterwards that with salt water you have less than 30 seconds to take the battery out but with fresh water it doesn't matter how long it is in the water. It should be fine. I'm curious to how rum and alcohol would affect electronics...
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »
Quote from: Krischan76;673237
Or drink pure alcohol since it does neither conduct electricity nor become sticky when dry. ;-)

No thanks. I don't want to die!

Anyway isn't pure alcohol ethanol which is poisonous?  :confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline Krischan76

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;673243
No thanks. I don't want to die!

Anyway isn't pure alcohol ethanol which is poisonous?  :confused:


The amount makes the poison. ;-) (Methanol is way more dangerous.)
 

Offline _ThEcRoW

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »
Did you need to open the case and desolder the battery to unplug it?. On my MacBook pro 15, the battery isn't at hand, like on the 13".
Good that you managed to get it running.

Quote from: bloodline;673234
Late Christmas Eve I was celebrating in my preferred manner, namely at home with a large glass of rum and my girl friend.

Both of our laptops were on the table, with my one playing some documentary from the 4oD website... Then disaster happened. I knocked over my glass of rum... It flew majestically through the air and landed upside down upon the glowing keyboard of my 15" MacBook Pro. With a fizz and a pop, the machine went dead.

I paused for a second, with my instincts urging me to push the power button and make it work again, the tears welling up inside me, for this is not a new machine but with 8Gig RAM and a 2.8Hgz dual core processor I was hoping for at least 2 more years out of it... but somewhere deep in my brain, a voice kept me from hitting the power button. I yanked the power cord out, flipped the machine over and pulled the battery. OK, I thought, all power sources removed this is my last best hope.

I grabbed my tool kit and removed the back of the machine. Looking inside I found a fair bit of rum soaking the chips, so with the corner of some tissue paper I carefully soaked up all liquids I could see... Then I went to bed.

The next day my girl friend and I went down to see her mother, so I left the machine to "dry out" for the next 3 days. When we got home I check the board and it was clear of any liquid, so I attached the power cable to see if the indicator light would illuminate... it did not. Resigning myself to the inevitability of a new laptop purchase, I reassembled the laptop.

With the battery now in place I opted for one last try of the power button. Nothing.

Then my girlfriend, reached over and held the button down... the machine lurched into life... and appears to be working fine... also the sticky keys on the keyboard are now much less sticky! Win-Win!

So if you spill on your electronics, get the power off ASAP, and don't turn it on until you are sure it's dry.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
Quote from: _ThEcRoW;673246
Did you need to open the case and desolder the battery to unplug it?. On my MacBook pro 15, the battery isn't at hand, like on the 13".
Good that you managed to get it running.
My MBP is a Late 2008 model, so I have a removable battery... Which has the disadvantage of a much smaller capacity than the soldered one.

The rum was actually "spiced rum", and thus my machine now has a pleasant aroma of vanilla :)

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;673249
My MBP is a Late 2008 model, so I have a removable battery... Which has the disadvantage of a much smaller capacity than the soldered one.

The rum was actually "spiced rum", and thus my machine now has a pleasant aroma of vanilla :)

Cool! My smells like watermelon and coffee.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline HenryCase

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;673249
The rum was actually "spiced rum", and thus my machine now has a pleasant aroma of vanilla :)


Sailor Jerry's? That stuff is boss! Sailor Jerry's and Coke tastes like Frosties (the sweets, not the cereal)! :-)
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan
 

Offline TheMagicM

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
which brand rum?   I had some Kraken and Pyrat on Monday.. fixing to buy about 4 bottles of various kinds for my bday coming up in January.  :)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
"Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum", a friend of mine worked on the promotion for that brand this summer and I picked up quite a taste for the stuff ;)

Offline jj

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4037
  • Country: wales
  • Total likes: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
Glad to see you are a rum drinker.  Been addicted to it since a two week holiday Jamaica several years ago.
 
I two have more than once tipped drinks in laptops.  Mine have niever switched themselves off but I have always yanked power supplies and batt retty quickly myself.
 
My dell I currently use has had three drinks poured in it and is still working fine.
 
I very much like captain morgans, lambs is far too rough.  My friend only yesterday gave me a lite of morgans spice, so will be having a few of those when i get home from work thjis evening.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
 
Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Quote from: JJ;673278
Glad to see you are a rum drinker.  Been addicted to it since a two week holiday Jamaica several years ago.
 
I two have more than once tipped drinks in laptops.  Mine have niever switched themselves off but I have always yanked power supplies and batt retty quickly myself.
 
My dell I currently use has had three drinks poured in it and is still working fine.
 
I very much like captain morgans, lambs is far too rough.  My friend only yesterday gave me a lite of morgans spice, so will be having a few of those when i get home from work thjis evening.
I've been a dark rum drinker for years (sometimes mixed with ginger beer for a nice kick)... but only recently turned on to spiced rum.

Actually this reminds me of the time I opened up my beloved A1200 to put it into a new case in 2002 (The old one was in a horrible state), as I lifted the mother board out it appeared to be stuck to the lower half of the case... Closer examination revealed the adhesive to be a sticky brown, sweet smelling "gunk"...

I thought back to 1993... I used to rest mugs of hot chocolate on the vents at the back... sure some would spill down there, but the machine never gave out so I just continued this practice... Hardy beasts the Amigas :)

Offline Tripitaka

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
I drink rarely these days but when I do, I too prefer a dark rum (and have done for over 20 years). OVD with a good cola is my preferred choice. Fentiman's curiosity cola is a particularly good mixer.

Maybe we should have a rum appreciation social group.
Falling into a dark and red rage.
 

Offline zipper

Re: A Happy Story for the Holiday
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »
Just took some Cappuccino mixed with a little Capt. Morgan...