Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread  (Read 4221 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline commodorejohn

Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »
Just what it says in the title. It's been a noticeable pattern around here that someone will wind up banned (temporarily or not) and their friends and supporters will spawn a thread or two complaining about it and demanding to know the reason. This is pretty understandable, as the mods make a habit of deleting ban-inducing posts and thus the whole thing seems shady and arbitrary even when there's a good reason for it.

Therefore, I suggest that a thread be created in which moderators are required to explain the terms of and reasons behind bannings. I've seen this on several other forums, and it does wonders to improve member-moderator relations (and cuts down on the number of "why was x banned!?" threads, to boot.) Keeps the members placated and the mods accountable. I think it's just the thing for amiga.org, on those occasions when a ban is merited.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
I think itś pretty pathetic starting threads asking why ones buddies have been banned tbh.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline commodorejohn

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »
Maybe, but with a thread like this it would no longer be necessary.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
 

Offline koaftder

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;656813
Just what it says in the title. It's been a noticeable pattern around here that someone will wind up banned (temporarily or not) and their friends and supporters will spawn a thread or two complaining about it and demanding to know the reason. This is pretty understandable, as the mods make a habit of deleting ban-inducing posts and thus the whole thing seems shady and arbitrary even when there's a good reason for it.

Therefore, I suggest that a thread be created in which moderators are required to explain the terms of and reasons behind bannings. I've seen this on several other forums, and it does wonders to improve member-moderator relations (and cuts down on the number of "why was x banned!?" threads, to boot.) Keeps the members placated and the mods accountable. I think it's just the thing for amiga.org, on those occasions when a ban is merited.


I get where you're going with that but this kind of tactic just invites other kinds of BS on web forums.
 

Offline Karlos

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »
It's not a bad idea but it makes the site even more of a pain to moderate than it already is. Trust me, it's by and large a thankless task.

The moderation policy here is fairly relaxed, but when a warning is given to a member and not heeded then action is taken. As the bottom line reads "We almost always give warnings, but never to the same person twice."

Moderators already are accountable to the site admin, who ultimately lays down the rules. There is a mailing list to which all reported posts go that all moderators have visibility of. Furthermore, deleted posts leave an audit. As part of being accountable, deleted posts remain visible to admins and moderators, along with who deleted it, when and why.

We don't simply delete posts and ban people on a whim.
int p; // A
 

Offline dreamcast270mhz

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:46 AM »
How about you just make a thread only a mod or admin can post to. Then, anyone who is banned, anyone, a post is made with their name, and reason why they were banned.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.
 

Offline esc

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:10 AM »
I can see both sides of the coin here.  However, I think as much as I would probably appreciate this type of a thread, I'm gonna have to side with the mods.

My main reason is because I'm sure it's already a PITA moderating such a large forum in the first place.  The guidelines are no secret :rtfm:, everyone has had to read them.  If the mods are doing their part, as in warnings and the like, I think perhaps we should just trust them :)
 

Offline lunithy

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
The idea is good but like esc said they have allot to do already and it's largely thankless job that left undone this site would not function so If people do read the warnings and continue to post knowing the rules then hey you get banned.
 

Offline amigadave

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2004
  • Posts: 3836
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 06:41:04 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;656821
It's not a bad idea but it makes the site even more of a pain to moderate than it already is. Trust me, it's by and large a thankless task.

The moderation policy here is fairly relaxed, but when a warning is given to a member and not heeded then action is taken. As the bottom line reads "We almost always give warnings, but never to the same person twice."

Moderators already are accountable to the site admin, who ultimately lays down the rules. There is a mailing list to which all reported posts go that all moderators have visibility of. Furthermore, deleted posts leave an audit. As part of being accountable, deleted posts remain visible to admins and moderators, along with who deleted it, when and why.

We don't simply delete posts and ban people on a whim.

Your efforts are appreciated Karlos!

I may not always agree with your opinions (edit: non-moderation opinions), but I have always agreed with your moderation actions.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:43:19 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)
 

Offline Kesa

  • Ninja Fruit Slasher
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 2408
  • Total likes: 0
Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:29:27 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;656817
I think itś pretty pathetic starting threads asking why ones buddies have been banned tbh.

I agree. Why do people do that?    :confused:

Quote from: amigadave;656874
Your efforts are appreciated Karlos!

I may not always agree with your opinions (edit: non-moderation opinions), but I have always agreed with your moderation actions.

Agreed. Karlos, don't think your modding is thankless because its not  and i really do appreciate what you do around here. I think you just  need a big hug, so here it is    :knuddel:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.
 

Offline J-Golden

  • TOP SECRET USER!!!
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2002
  • Posts: 1321
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 1
  • Gender: Male
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
Wow.  The Army's been keeping me busy and I come back and find this?!?!

As the "youngest" of the Mods I'd have to say that trying to do this would be over kill.

Mods are doing their job, weather you agree with their decisions or not, to help keep the Forum running.  This is a thankless job as others have said and also pays na-da!

To add more hoops to go through just to do our jobs would almost certainly break the system.  All the extra work would keep us from doing our jobs and enjoying the site ourselves.

I know, coming from me that sounds really hypocritical.  I got involved in the "Franko Incident of 2011" because their was some issues that went way beyond simple moderating and I didn't get involved until I had a lot of information on and from both sides.

Asking for an explanation for a mod's actions is the Forum Admin's job.  That is where the Franko bit ended up and where it was solved.

So, if you have a friend who finds himself ousted, ask him why and/or check his most recent posts and work your way up from there.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.
 
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!
 
I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:
 
WWBD?
 

Offline Brian

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
I think a single "BAN-thread" that only MOD's can edit with the name of Banned person with a link to the post that resulted in a ban (with a quote of what resulted in the ban if post is deleted/edited) along with an short explanation why this resulted in a ban (Ruled to be against policy X would do). This would answer the questions and also help the users understand where the lines are drawn.

Now I understand that modding is alot of work but banning someone is a huge deal for the person getting banned and to some extent online friends of this person who suddently can't communicate with the person so openes about the ban, although more work should be a priority to help keep a good mod-user relationship and defuse any mod abuse thoughst people might have.

Offline J-Golden

  • TOP SECRET USER!!!
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2002
  • Posts: 1321
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 1
  • Gender: Male
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
I just thought of another reason against the Ban thread.  Some people may not want others to know what they did.

I've received requests from people to have things completely removed that they have put up for the reason that they realize what a bad mistake it was in the first place.

Whether they were banned or not, people don't like their dirty laundry waved around like a banner and made public.  It is embarrassing and humiliating and most people who receive warnings or temporary bans just want to get past the situation and get on with posting.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.
 
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!
 
I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:
 
WWBD?
 

Offline Tension

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
We're always told that this is a family friendly forum. Why don't we have an option to hide posts according to our age, so that we can see what Is causing the arguments before posts get deleted. Those families that like to huddle round their PC's and check the Amiga forums after dinner each evening can just view the PG version of the site.

Offline Amiga_Nut

Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
If you ignore a warning and then get banned it is nobody else's business but the mod who banned them and the member who got banned.

Excessive idea, after all it is a free site run for our benefit, if you break the [already relaxed] rules you'll get banned. If you don't like the way the site is run then you stop posting.

I don't see the need for this at all.